The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air charge tempreture 70 degrees, too hot?

Kaan W

Not even if you was to drive it hard then come to a slow cruel in this present climate?

Temps should drop under acceleration as air fresh air is drawn in and cooled with airflow over the IC, mine are around 20 to 25 deg, sitting in traffic you would expect some heat soak, possibly hitting 40 deg if its prolonged standstill or slow stop and starts.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in this present climate?

Comments like this make me laugh, what present climate, yes its warm but we have had temps in the 30s before and im sure we will have them again, typical media hype as usual, I even heard mention of building cooling centres where people could go to cool down, really, dont brits normally fly abroad to get temps in the 35 to 40 range :lol:

Comments like this make me laugh, what present climate, yes its warm but we have had temps in the 30s before and im sure we will have them again, typical media hype as usual, I even heard mention of building cooling centres where people could go to cool down, really, dont brits normally fly abroad to get temps in the 35 to 40 range :lol:

Haha yeah I saw the reports to stay indoors and drink plenty of water which is a bit extreme. It's not mega hot but I meant during this time of year compared to winters freezing temps. Thanks for your input :thumbs:

If you're still running without a fan shroud, that will be reducing the efficiency of the cooling.

David I am indeed still driving without a shroud, tbh I completely forgot that as its never had a shroud during my ownership but I'll source one soon or fit the electric fans I have.

Not even if you was to drive it hard then come to a slow cruel in this present climate?

I saw mid 40's at my throttle body while I had 77 turbo outlet.

At speed you shouldn't see above 50 maximum, and THATS still bad!

This is what a fairly decent IC with some ducting should achieve on track on a fairly warm day. On the road it should be less of course. Ignore heat soak out of pits, once it is up to speed note IAT levles, engine coolant temps etecetra. Logging is accurate and on fast update. ECU Motec M800, logger is a GEMS DA-33. I have a GEMS logger for sale actually :)

Ive just been out for a slow drive around town and after about 10 minutes the inlet temp reached 68 degrees and stayed at that temp for the remainder of the drive and this was completely off boost and idling doing mostly 30mph. Water temp is 80-90 degrees. After feeling the pipes before and after the intercooler the inlet to it feels warm but the intercooler outlet feels pretty cold and not hot at all. The pipe that comes up behind the radiator though where the sensor is feels hotter than the turbo outlet pipe.

Post up a pic of the sensor location.

What make intercooler do you have fitted?

It looks like a huge whifbitz one and was listed as a whifbitz one in the for sale ad.

I cant upload anything as im on my phone but I have a shot of the bay in my garage mate you can see the sensor location.

This is what a fairly decent IC with some ducting should achieve on track on a fairly warm day. On the road it should be less of course. Ignore heat soak out of pits, once it is up to speed note IAT levles, engine coolant temps etecetra. Logging is accurate and on fast update. ECU Motec M800, logger is a GEMS DA-33. I have a GEMS logger for sale actually :)

That video shows perfectly how when throttling it the temps come down as you draw in fresh cooled air, nice vid Chris :thumbs:

Where's the fan shroud??????? Is the air temp sensor a proper exposed element type? Is the Tucan set to read the sensors resistance V temp properly?

I bought the car without the shroud then decided to buy some electric fans instead. Then decided to just have them fitted when I put the new engine in over the winter.

The sensor is a proper syvecs sensor from the website but it's been set up by Ryan so I cant imagine he left this out for whatever reason unless it's not important for the engine to run properly. The screen was installed after it was mapped so could he have felt it wernt needed if I didn't have a gauge to monitor it?

I moved to a Cosworth style sensor on my setup as it is insulated from the mounting body. This means I measures the air temp and not the pipe temp.

I think this sensor could well be reading pipe temp, the pipe feels roughly 68 degrees tbh.

It NEEDS a shroud, NOW! The Syvecs will ceratinly use the intake air temp sensor and you should be able to monitor it directly in the Syvecs software on a laptop and see it concurs with the mini dash. It may be the mini dash isn't set up right, those temps sound very high. I am not a fan of electric fans, they simply don't move enough air. I personally wouldn't even consider them on a modded engine.

Kaan, even on a bog standard NA mine ran terribly in hot weather without the shroud, it just didn't seem happy at all, poor idle, poor pickup, etc (no fancy gauges to monitor, but I've owned supra's long enough to know when one isn't happy). As soon as I fitted the shroud it all settled down and had a small gain in performance. Multiply that many times from the heat a single turbo produces and you have your issue identified.

Guest Budz86

I checked mine on the way home this evening. 25 min drive and Toucan read 45 max and that was after hard pull in 3rd and 4th - your temps are deffo too high mate.