The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Air charge tempreture 70 degrees, too hot?

Kaan W

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Budz86

Mine usually shows 60-70 in this weather, which sounds high but don't think it's an issue really. Truth be told I've not got a basis for comparison! Lol

That's high, especially for a 10 min drive, something is not right.

I like to drive when I drive :think: Even if it is 10 minutes. Off boost and cruising its about 30-40.

Mine usually shows 60-70 in this weather, which sounds high but don't think it's an issue really. Truth be told I've not got a basis for comparison! Lol

That must be about right then for this time of year if yours shows that too. I just assumed as it was the maximum number on the screen dial that it must be alot higher that its meant to.

I would like to add some modification to lower the temp as 70 to me seems quite hot for the inlet temp.

I feel sorry for your car, it takes 10 min for the the oil to get to full working temp, 30-40 is fine.

Ah thats good then.

Although Ryan mapped the engine to limit at 3000rpm until oil is at optimum working tempreture so I cant do that much harm, but in this kind of climate it doesnt take long for that rev limit to dissapear.

Guest Budz86

Lowering intake temps is always a good idea, more power and less heat in the bay. You could fit a charge cooler?

Call me a sceptic but I still don't boot it once the oil reaches the 70c warning limit, generally wait until its in the mid 80's. The syvecs will help protect your engine but can't do anything for wear and tear!

Lowering intake temps is always a good idea, more power and less heat in the bay. You could fit a charge cooler?

Call me a sceptic but I still don't boot it once the oil reaches the 70c warning limit, generally wait until its in the mid 80's. The syvecs will help protect your engine but can't do anything for wear and tear!

Yeah I will have to look into that and maybe some ducting also. For some reason the oil temp on my Toucan doesnt function, im not even sure where Ryan adds the sensor to check ive even got one but it must have for the rev limit saftey feature. I would have thought if the intake temp is at 70 and also water temp is sitting around 80 after 10 minutes then oil temp should be warm enough also?

Guest Budz86
70 is high. Mine was nowhere near that, I think I was 20-25 when driving around and didn't go much about 35-40 when booting it.

Really? I never paid much attention to mine but will be checking it out tomorrow now! Hopefully they aren't as high as I thought!

Really? I never paid much attention to mine but will be checking it out tomorrow now! Hopefully they aren't as high as I thought!

Yea, I had a 4" intercooler on it.

On the GT-R, I did some 7000rpm pulls the other week and my intakes never went above 21 when moving (did heatsoak when idle). Follow the redline here for intake temp and green line for RPM.

http://just.razzi.me/photos/1072250/0ef5628.jpg

Thanks for the input guys.

Where's the sensor mounted?

The sensor is mounted just before the throttle body however, the part of the sensor the lead comes out is almost touching the top rad pipe. Could this interfere with readings as the pipe gets very hot?

I also have a 4" intercooler.

Might be worth measuring the temperature coming out of the turbo. If it's around the same temperature your inter-cooler may be blocked somehow or not functioning correctly.

I'd check your cooling components are working effectively first, that's pretty high.

I had 77° coming out my turbo over the weekend fairly easily, it sounds like your intercooler isn't doing its job mate

Might be worth measuring the temperature coming out of the turbo. If it's around the same temperature your inter-cooler may be blocked somehow or not functioning correctly.

I'd check your cooling components are working effectively first, that's pretty high.

I had 77° coming out my turbo over the weekend fairly easily, it sounds like your intercooler isn't doing its job mate

Could it be a faulty sensor by any chance? Or could the sensor be getting a reading from the intake pipe rather than the air passing through it?

I highly doubt the intercooler will be blocked, or do you mean the outside air flow that runs through the fins?

What other cooling components can I check first?

Could it be a faulty sensor by any chance? Or could the sensor be getting a reading from the intake pipe rather than the air passing through it?

I highly doubt the intercooler will be blocked, or do you mean the outside air flow that runs through the fins?

Why not take it for a quick hard drive, jump out and feel the intake to the FMIC and then the outlet, on mine, the difference is day and night and I would think you can get to the pipes easliy through the bumper vents.

The sensor is mounted just before the throttle body however, the part of the sensor the lead comes out is almost touching the top rad pipe. Could this interfere with readings as the pipe gets very hot?

It shouldn't do, the actual sensor part is sealed inside the IC pipe.

A pre and post intercooler air temp & pressure sensor would enable you to work out the efficiency of the intercooler.

I also have a 4" intercooler.

What is the make of the IC? Size doesn't necessarily relate to the efficiency of the IC.

Why not take it for a quick hard drive, jump out and feel the intake to the FMIC and then the outlet, on mine, the difference is day and night and I would think you can get to the pipes easliy through the bumper vents.

Yeah that would be alot easier than taking bits off. I'll try that in a bit and test the temp difference in pipes.

I know it gets very hot under my bonnet for some reason, not sure if this is a supra thing and ive only ever had small cars before but I feel the heat on my face instantly when I lift the bonnet after a long drive.

Maybe a turbo heat blanket would help this?

Maybe a turbo heat blanket would help this?

A good quality turbo blanket (eg. Dei) would make a big difference to the engine bay temps. You could get the turbo glowing hot on a dyno and the outside of the blanket would be just warm to the touch.

A well designed FMIC, properly ducted would help.

It shouldn't do, the actual sensor part is sealed inside the IC pipe.

A pre and post intercooler air temp & pressure sensor would enable you to work out the efficiency of the intercooler.

What is the make of the IC? Size doesn't necessarily relate to the efficiency of the IC.

Could these sensors both be wired into the Syvecs and Toucan display or do you mean a tempory sensor just to test efficiency?

In the for sale ad hes listed it is a Whifbitz intercooler but that could be another lie to sell the car. Looks pretty decent though I will check the Whifbitz ones out in a second..

A good quality turbo blanket (eg. Dei) would make a big difference to the engine bay temps. You could get the turbo very hot on a dyno and the outside of the blanket would be just warm to the touch.

A well designed FMIC properly ducted would help.

I'll look into a new blanket and heat wrapping the manifold and downpipe at some point but maybe on the new engine.

This maybe a dumb question but will it be a good idea to heat wrap the intercooler piping to stop the metal heat soaking or would it just do the opposite and not let heat out?

Edited by Kaan W (see edit history)

I don't know enough about the sensors your using, or typical Syvecs sensors to comment I'm afraid mate. I just noticed your intake temps are the same as my turbo outlet temps, as if your IC isn't even working. Just thought perhaps you should check the turbo outlet temps as a comparison.

I don't know enough about the sensors your using, or typical Syvecs sensors to comment I'm afraid mate. I just noticed your intake temps are the same as my turbo outlet temps, as if your IC isn't even working. Just thought perhaps you should check the turbo outlet temps as a comparison.

Ok mate thanks for the help, I will go out shortly and note the temps as different speeds, boost and when stopped. It maybe that ive been driving hard then come to a slow cruel in traffic and then noticed it was 70 degrees as I tend not to look at dials else if im booting it but I will check this and let you know.