The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

• 2 weeks later...

Test fitted the Harness today all looks good :)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1620359_719065631501416_998060590129871408_n.jpg?oh=9145843bc58d82e03b16b08fd9c5de45&oe=54C733FE

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10155020_719065681501411_3040466215030967143_n.jpg?oh=7ff838cdf24a3fd0c4987a30d1eee9f4&oe=54ACC1C4&__gda__=1421331442_d23925553e5998d85e6dcf1dcea49555

• 1 month later...

Rich, word of advice mate.

Before you rock up to your first Time Attack round next year find out if your seat position is acceptable when viewed in relation to the main roll hoop of your cage.

I may be wrong about this but I have a feeling that no part of the driver's seat should be behind any part of the main roll hoop or uprights and a scrutineer might call you up on it.

I'm only drawing your attention to it now as there'd be sweet feck all you could do about it on the day and IF modification is needed to comply with whatever rules the UK T/A adhere to at least you'll have plenty of time to do it right before the first round.

Rich, word of advice mate.

Before you rock up to your first Time Attack round next year find out if your seat position is acceptable when viewed in relation to the main roll hoop of your cage.

I may be wrong about this but I have a feeling that no part of the driver's seat should be behind any part of the main roll hoop or uprights and a scrutineer might call you up on it.

I'm only drawing your attention to it now as there'd be sweet feck all you could do about it on the day and IF modification is needed to comply with whatever rules the UK T/A adhere to at least you'll have plenty of time to do it right before the first round.

Cheers mate you are eagle eyed :)

I had already spoken with the TA officials who brought potential issues of cage up already and according to the MSA blue book I am going to need to make some changes to the cage anyway to make it compliant. So I had to get the seat position first in order to get the measurements for the rework of the cage.

Passenger side will be going in this weekend so the cage will be reworked and some more triangulation added as well.

This is why none of the carbon replacement panels have gone in yet, no point in cutting the new panels to suit a cage which at least 60%+ will be changed anyway if not entirely.

Gonna feel odd about chopping the roof off to do the cage lol.. kind of car craniotomy hahaha

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finalized the ratio's on the new seq box :)

From working out speed vs gears on my V160 etc I have worked out I have an Auto NA diff crown (4.083:1) on my TRD Diff.

I just need to go about changing the Diff crown from a Auto NA to that of an Jspec TT Manual (3.266:1)

Is it as simple as removing the diff, taking the diff out and changing the crown or will I need to change the pinion on the diff input shaft?

Obviously things like seals, crush washers etc will all need to be done at the same time.

The crown wheel has to mate with the pinion for the same ratio pair, and not only that, they are made as matched pairs, so realistically you need a different ratio differential assembly to cannibalise. God knows how much a new CWP is from Toyota, assuming they are even still available. It's a pity the Tracktive won't handle the torque, they have a pair of relatively cheap drop gears at the back of the box, 20 minutes to change them. This is effectively like having umpteen diff ratios available that can be swapped in less than half an hour.

The crown wheel has to mate with the pinion for the same ratio pair, and not only that, they are made as matched pairs, so realistically you need a different ratio differential assembly to cannibalise. God knows how much a new CWP is from Toyota, assuming they are even still available. It's a pity the Tracktive won't handle the torque, they have a pair of relatively cheap drop gears at the back of the box, 20 minutes to change them. This is effectively like having umpteen diff ratios available that can be swapped in less than half an hour.

I thought it may be the case regarding the Pinion.

I will have to keep an eye out for a Jspec TT Manual Diff and then change the whole thing over to the TRD.

I know what you mean Chris, its a shame.. the Tractive box ticks all boxes apart from the power one.

Would be ideal to be able to change ratio's like that, especially for different circuits etc.

I will see if Toyota still sell them, I kinda doubt it but would be good to know.

Found the part number for the Crown and Pin kit - 41201-19645 (includes ring gear/ pinion gear/ nut / bolts/ crush sleeve/ pinion seal)

Now just to find where someone can get hold of it..so far seems pretty expensive.

I recall enquiring about a new 4.273 CWP from Japan through a company called Titan Autoworks a few years back, as far as I can remember the cost was about €700 delivered.

I think he's something like the Irish equivalent of Nic, when he was based in Hong Kong, so the guy mightn't even be trading anymore.

So I got a couple of leads, Good old Steve Manley can get one for me in 7 days for £880.48 :faint:

I have spoken to Jesse Streeter (lots of people in Aus use him to import parts) and he can get it from Toyota in Japan for ¥43308 which works out to be around £230... much much better :D:d. All I have to add is Air Freight and then customs charges on top which should not be a massive amount (well not another £600).

Will make the decision based on what the Air Freight and customs charges are.

It would be good to get new CWP kit rather then butcher another diff which has millage on it.

Chris as you are a legend and well I don't want to mess it up, what would you charge to change over the crown and pinion and rebuild this for me?

£175 plus any parts needed. Seems a great price on a new CWP, very surprised by that, why not try and get a group buy?

Perfect, That would be great, I will let you know when its good to go :)

That's a good idea, I'll see if he can do any better on price If I was to purchase a number of different CWP kits.

I will ask the mods if I can start a thread for interest on it and perhaps move forward with a Group buy.

Crickey, Rich, the interior of your car looks amazing mate. It's the first time I've taken a look inside.

That's incredible!!

Ha cheers mate, Its currently being stripped back even more, the cage is now being reworked and upgraded due to the new seat position and regs.

When thats done lots... and I mean lots of Carbon panels going in to replace the aluminum ones.

I have spoken to Jesse Streeter (lots of people in Aus use him to import parts) and he can get it from Toyota in Japan for ¥43308 which works out to be around £230... much much better :D:d. All I have to add is Air Freight and then customs charges on top which should not be a massive amount (well not another £600).

That does seem very cheap, is it for the full kit as pictured?

Hi Nick,

Yep, the code has changed since though, the 41201-19645 has been moved to 41201-39717 which from what I can see is still a kit.

That part number isn't listed for the Supra but they may well share the same diff as the ratios are the same.

That part number isn't listed for the Supra but they may well share the same diff as the ratios are the same.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2zp8c49.jpg

Yeah according to Toyota Japan the replacement was 41201-39717 (Includes gear set , seal, bolts, nut , spacer)

They also listed a 90366-45035 - Differential Pinion Bearing to go with it.

Works out to be around £450 Once shipping, vat and the various import taxes have been added, which is still half the price of getting it new here but I wonder if I can get a 2nd hand diff for less than that here in the UK?? Hmmmm.

New HANS device arrived today.

These mandatory in UK T/A now mate?

They seem to be a useful bit of kit and even if they're not a compulsory item there's very little reason not to have one, especially now that there are several versions available.

Some even come without the eye-watering price tag!

I'll be attempting a helmet upgrade again in the new year, if so it'll be an FHR compatible lid with the intention of getting a device like this.

BTW, what helmet are you using? I've been asking regular track users what helmet they'd recommend for noise suppression and, like most things, ask twenty people get twenty different answers!

These mandatory in UK T/A now mate?

They seem to be a useful bit of kit and even if they're not a compulsory item there's very little reason not to have one, especially now that there are several versions available.

Some even come without the eye-watering price tag!

I'll be attempting a helmet upgrade again in the new year, if so it'll be an FHR compatible lid with the intention of getting a device like this.

BTW, what helmet are you using? I've been asking regular track users what helmet they'd recommend for noise suppression and, like most things, ask twenty people get twenty different answers!

Hi Mate,

No not mandatory, but for the money its well worth the extra safety, and the fact they start around £280 its well worth it.

I for one do not want a Basial skull fracture if I do come off the track and hit a wall hard.

This is a good example of why you should have a HANS device (if you want to skip right to the incident go to 1min 40)

I have two helmets a RRS open face and a Stilo full face. In terms of noise, I am not really that great to take advice from as I am pretty much stone deaf in one ear lol so the sound levels have never really caused me much discomfort.

Although I would say the Stilo helmet is probably better at noise suppression.

I've seen that clip before on another forum, there was even a bit of a debate on whether the guy in the Clio was at fault for causing the accident!:rolleyes:

I think I'll be trying an RSS full face helmet myself, I've heard good things about them from other users.

The real trouble is not all manufacturers make a lid to fit my dome so options are fairly limited at my end of the market.

I've seen that clip before on another forum, there was even a bit of a debate on whether the guy in the Clio was at fault for causing the accident!:rolleyes:

I think I'll be trying an RSS full face helmet myself, I've heard good things about them from other users.

The real trouble is not all manufacturers make a lid to fit my dome so options are fairly limited at my end of the market.

I do like my RRS, they are very good for the money.