The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manwithsupra's Racing Supra Project thread

ManwithSupra

Brand new Toyota genuine R154 bell housing arrived today from the USA for the sequential box :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10991242_785653304842648_2564871884779101098_n.jpg?oh=1082339d67a7c248a081f0bbd7c29c15&oe=55946DD1&__gda__=1431939433_54cdcb17f75a5c6afa754aa807b336be

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10980758_785653341509311_8374506688000426185_n.jpg?oh=e36631d51c5f8eceb45abf8ae3996b5b&oe=5558850D&__gda__=1431029124_bbb79d2aeed1e4bd3984023afb89d378

Not sure why you didn't use an auto bell housing, I am sure it would have worked and cost a fraction? Can't beat a nice shiny new casting though, was it a lot cheaper from the US?

It was easier to be honest as the adapter plate that's being supplied is designed to be used with this housing.

Yeah it was basically half the price from the US and I also have the peace of mind its an unused item with no cracks or fatigue etc.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Gearbox in and wired up ??

No, not yet, I have been suffering from a bad neck (i cant seem to turn my head right at all without major pain) also getting the old box out is proving to be a lot harder than once thought due to the flat floor framework, space frame etc. I ended up having to cut a section of the exhaust out due to the above however there was no room for a grinder or electric saw and my exhaust chain cutter didn't want to get through it, so had to use a Junior hacksaw moving at a couple of cm for each stroke... took 3 hours to get through it and it broke about 10 blades... not to mention my arms (as they were above my head) were devoid of any blood...

The old gearbox and clutch will be out this Friday as I have my brother coming down to help me due to my neck... :)

New gearbox is being built up at Quaife as we speak, They are going to take some images of the box for the build which I will update when I get them, the box is then going to Chris Wilson to get the Concentric hub bearing setup done (as the bell may need to be machined).

While that is being done I am removing all the white aluminum panels in the cockpit, as without the gearbox there it will be easier to fit the new carbon fiber ones. When the Geartronics paddle kit arrives, I will be making the loom and air lines for that and routing it all before the new box goes in.

Last thing will be installing the new clutch and box, making a new gearbox support brace, getting a new prop shaft made up and then programming the Paddle shifter kit.

So quite a bit of work to do.

This thing is screaming for a set of air jacks mate.

While there is so much being done to the underside anyway t'would be rude not to! :innocent:

+1 on the dedication front though.

I also suspect you are technically a tripod when seen with no trousers on. There can be no other explanation for it. :)

I did look at Air jacks but its more weight really.

I mean they are a good idea and I had some thoughts about it but It would be mean extra kit to carry to a day as well.

And for the extra 4-5kg of weight, hmmm well I dunno...:think:

I have air jack provision on my new GTR shell, putting in the tubes for them is not trivial unless done at build time, plus ones abale to lift a car of this sort of weight are not cheap. Then you need safety props and all the air lines routing through the car. You won't get away with three jacks given the weight. Big money!