Dan's Supra Project

dandan

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are not listed anywhere but I think it's simply a case of calling them up and asking for it as if it was any other turbo. It wasn't made as a one off hybrid for me or anything silly like that but it was a "special order" item as far as FullRace were concerned and I talked it over with them in depth before I bought it.

I don't want to say much about the power delivery...I always rather wait for the RR results so I don't jinx anything and don't look stupid if it doesn't do what I expect :D

One thing is for sure - this turbo is a real whistler!

I haven't driven it on boost at all yet but even as boost is building from vacuum to zero it really WHISTLES. I'm not sure I can hack it to be honest. :) Anyone else have a BW and find it whistles more than a Precision turbo? I assume the antisurge housing is playing its part....maybe I need some more sound deadening.

My BW has a very pronounced whistle too. When I took Bignum and Littlenum for a rid this year in August, they said the sound was very special .. a bit like the HKS T51R.

Good luck for the RR.

Luc

Buy some ear muffs mate

Just pretend it's a whining female and tune it out! ;)

The whistle is pretty loud - I actually thought I might have a downpipe leak but it's all fine. It starts off boost as building towards zero boost and seems loudest with very slight throttle accelerating real slow or maintaining a fast cruise speed. Once on boost the noise is drowned out by general intake roar and engine noise. Not been above 1.2bar yet though so no real idea about potential performance.

just read the whole thread. awesome build!!

just went through the whole thread, and that is 1 $#@!ing awesome supra

probly the best ive seen, looks stealth under the bonet love it.

good job mate

Thanks guys - much appreciated :thumbs:

Have you got a date for a remap yet dan??

We were going to do it this week but Ryan couldn't make it in the end due to ther commitments - no big deal though given the weather :D

The plan now is to do it ASAP in January and that'll pretty much be up to Ryan and when he starts work again (assuming the weather is ok).

• 4 months later...

I'm in the process of removing my 18 rears and fitting a set of 315/35/17s in pursuit of a little more sidewall so I can get some power down in second gear and hopefully all of it in third plus a wider stance is no bad thing :D

This is the 315 next to my current 275 rear!

The first step was some arch rolling - I had the fronts done as well because I'll be fitting my 9.5" 18s up front once I have the rears sorted.

Then I had to do a little redesign on the CW suspension to reduce the space the springs take up as the wheels and tyres hit the spring and spring seat when the suspension drooped fully. A few people (on Supraforums) don't seem to bothered by this and they put the wheels on loose and then do the wheel nuts up as the car is lowered down and the wheel can be pushed on properly. I wasn't too keen on that approach because it sounds like a pain to put wheels on and off but more importantly there'd be some heavy wheel/spring contact if I happened to get any hang time over humpback bridges and gave the suspension a chance to droop fully !:D

I went a tiny bit softer on the main spring rate too as the car felt like it could handle being a tad softer. It's not all 100% ready to run on the road yet as I'm waiting for some new bumpstops to arrive. All I've been doing so far is test fitting to make sure everything works with the springs, arch rolling, and tyre clearance eveywhere.

Old vs new....

This is 275/35/18 vs 315/35/17 :)

Front and rear shots with the 315s - I thought the 315 was sticking out too far and looked a bit stupid but with the suspension settled it seems to be fine.

Once I get the bumpstops I need I'll get everything assembled and then see if there's any difference in traction.....plus some decent photos with the 9.5" wide wheels up front. :)

Photo0216a.JPG

Photo0198a.JPG

Photo0077a.JPG

Photo0223a.JPG

Photo0214a.JPG

Photo0195a.JPG

Photo0203a.JPG

Photo0208a.JPG

Photo0205a.JPG

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Sweet dan, glad you managed to sort out the clearance!! Any tips for arch rolling? I have to do my rears next weekend!!

Wow Dan, great update, nice work :thumbs:

I am also interested on the arch rolling as I am looking to switch to slicks on 18s which means I need to get it done.

Cheers fellas. The arches were done by Chaz from ArchEnemy; he came to me to do them and I think it cost something like £180 but can't remember exactly. I was surprised at the rolling on the front as it created quite a bit more room which is great.

Looks great fella. what 315's did u go for the tread pattern looks good :)

They're Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 315/35/17 102Y - they're the stickiest road tyre I could find without going to an R888. I spent a fair bit of time on the phone to one of the engineers at Vredestein talking about the car and what I wanted from the tyres and they were very helpful and interested in the car and the power/speed side of things.

Dan, where did you get the new springs from?

They're 2.5" ID coilover springs Steve and you can get them almost anywhere but mine were from Faulkners. After giving it a bit of thought I could have probably got them from Demon Tweeks a tiny bit cheaper with the 10% club discount but it's no big deal. They have a lot of choice too - Eibach Race, Faulkner, Tein etc etc http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=delegate&n=1738&s=spring

They're 2.5" ID coilover springs Steve and you can get them almost anywhere but mine were from Faulkners. After giving it a bit of thought I could have probably got them from Demon Tweeks a tiny bit cheaper with the 10% club discount but it's no big deal. They have a lot of choice too - Eibach Race, Faulkner, Tein etc etc http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Search.do?method=delegate&n=1738&s=spring

How did you know what rates to go for and it also looks like you have fitted a different seat.

They're Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 315/35/17 102Y - they're the stickiest road tyre I could find without going to an R888. I spent a fair bit of time on the phone to one of the engineers at Vredestein talking about the car and what I wanted from the tyres and they were very helpful and interested in the car and the power/speed side of things.

thanx mate how much did a pair cost?

How did you know what rates to go for and it also looks like you have fitted a different seat.

I had to test my existing springs, plot the info to get the stifness and then go from there to choose what I wanted.

On test....

This is the plot of deflection and force. I removed the numbers as CW probably doesn't want part of his suspension recipe disclosed to everyone :) These springs have two different rates which is different to any OEM springs I tested - and this is what made it a little tricky to replicate with off the shelf parts.

The seats are totally different now. Originally I modified a Bilstein seat and had to get it built up on the underside with loads of weld and them machined it flat to sit on a regular adjustable seat. That allowed me to use Chris' springs with the height adjustable kit. You can see that piece on the top assembly with the big spring.

Then when I changed to the new springs that was not needed - now I just have the adjustable seat on the threaded sleeve plus a brass washer that isn't shown. I'll get a photo of that when I have all the parts uptogether at the weekend. The top mount is a regular 2.5" spring part too and it sits nicely in the OEM top mount. I can dig out some part number if you need them.

From the normal (or CW setup) there are a two custom machined bits needed, plus a different bumpstop, the adjuster sleeve and top seat. I'll get a photo of it all at the weekend.

I haven't driven it in anger yet though so I'm not getting too carried away - the proof will be in the driving. I'll test my new springs tomorrow on the press though to see how they compare and see how close my maths works out to the real thing!! :D

thanx mate how much did a pair cost?

I paid about £530 including postage. They're about the same price as R888s and both are available from Camskill. :thumbs:

Interesting work, Dan! Out of interest, does either of the two suspension setups resemble the "gixxer_drew" Bilstein setup from SF.com (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?446817-The-gixxer_drew-suspension-thread..)?

Yeah spot on - the gixxerdrew stuff is very similar (or vice versa actually) although the sleeve cutting and the taper part of the sleeve sitting on the C clip isn't a good way to do it. I have a new C clip groove on the damper body so the sleeves fits correctly and with masses of adjustment. There's a photo of my old setup with CW's springs on that thread somewhere.

Cheers, thanks - I haven't read through the thread (either yours or Drew's) comprehensively for a long time, so couldn't recall which bit was what and where. Am very interested to see the real-world differences, as I need to change my suspension at some stage in the near future for something more conducive to traction.

Cheers, thanks - I haven't read through the thread (either yours or Drew's) comprehensively for a long time, so couldn't recall which bit was what and where. Am very interested to see the real-world differences, as I need to change my suspension at some stage in the near future for something more conducive to traction.

No probs - I'll post back once I get to use it in anger and know what it's like. At the moment she's still on axle stands as the rear end is being treated to a clean up and some fresh underseal. Once that's finished I'll be mobile on the 315 rears and 255 front setup so I keen to see if it behaves differently.

-----------

My rear brake brackets for the Alcon Mono 4s also turned up so now I need to mark them up for the hub mounting holes and they'll be ready to fit. Here's a sneaky preview....

Edited by dandan (see edit history)