dandan

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Naisz :D

This is rapidly becoming one of the cleanest Supra's around, is there a part that isn't new Dan?

Cheers guys. I'm gradually working my way through the whole lot as I get the time. The Torsen diff and Recaros have been there from the factory and they'll probably stay for good :D

The car has Tein HA's fitted and they have always proved adequate. However, with the single fitted I can light the rear tyres up in 2nd gear without even thinking about it. Even with hot 275-35 Eagle F1 tyres and hot roads they still light up at about 4500rpm so it needs sorting. Any hint of dampness or even cool roads and third gear is a similar story....crap.

Anyway, that's the main reason for changing the suspension - I need more traction and ideally want to get enough traction without switching to R888 tyres. Plus, a bit of suppleness would be nice as the Tein HA and Titan roll bars is certainly a stiff combination :rolleyes:

Once I get these fitted and get some time on the parts I will pop up to see Chris Wilson for a full corner weighting and geo setup to get the most out of the car. With this little lot the corner weighting and height adjustment should be much easier and quicker.

Still waiting on the firmware release chap as its a big one this time and we want to release in one hit.

No problem mate - keep me posted.

Do you think we'll still have time to install the new firmware, setup the traction control and tweak the map with a trip to SRR before you leave?

I just did a couple of tests with the decibel meter :) This was outside my building at work which is pretty "built up" so I may need to try a more open space as there was a lot of reverberation....may or may not have skewed things :search:

The first two tests were measured 45degrees up and towards the centre of the car at about 500mm from the tailpipe.

Exhaust bypass valve closed - quiet mode:

1000rpm - 83.5dB

4000rpm - 90dB

5000rpm - 96dB

Exhaust bypass valve open - noisy mode:

1000rpm - 90dB

4000rpm - 91dB

5000rpm - 101dB

Seen as the 4" dumped portion exits under the car I thought I'd try a test a little closer to its exit. The following were taken just in front of the rear right tyre at about 100mm above ground level and about 100mm from the side of the car.

Exhaust bypass valve open - noisy mode:

1000rpm - 89.3dB

4000rpm - 99dB

5000rpm - 103dB

I think 83.5dB at idle at 90dB at 4000rpm is pretty respectable for a single with 4" DP and MP :D

I just did a couple of tests with the decibel meter :) This was outside my building at work which is pretty "built up" so I may need to try a more open space as there was a lot of reverberation....may or may not have skewed things

The surrounding offices must've loved the unrestricted 5000rpm sweep :)

Those are really good results. Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...
Respectable ..... mate thats pretty impressive if you are after a quiet system, especially a 4" jobbie :D

The surrounding offices must've loved the unrestricted 5000rpm sweep :)

Those are really good results. Nice work!

Cheers fellas. I did get a few comments once I actually got into work - nothing negative though :D

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

I got the new spring seats and spacers back from the machine shop - this is the stack of parts needed for one coilover:

The business end where the ride height adjustment is done:

And finally an assembled unit:

There were a few delays with parts but that was actually planned behind my back between my better half and the machine shop :blink: She needed to make sure I wouldn't get them in time to miss the surprise birthday bash she threw for me on Sunday! :thumbs:

Only problem i see with that setup is to adjust the ride height it will change the spring rate no? i had the same problem with teins ss, to get the ride height i wanted the car was to harsh, so i changed to bottom height adjustable coilovers that ride height didnt effect spring rate, springs on them was to hard so i then changed to a cw setup and now its to low for me, i dont think i will ever get the right setup for me.

Only problem i see with that setup is to adjust the ride height it will change the spring rate no? i had the same problem with teins ss, to get the ride height i wanted the car was to harsh, so i changed to bottom height adjustable coilovers that ride height didnt effect spring rate, springs on them was to hard so i then changed to a cw setup and now its to low for me, i dont think i will ever get the right setup for me.

The preload will change with ride height changes but that's no different to 90% of the aftermarket stuff out there. No change in spring rate/stiffness though. The springs are CW's - no doubt identical to yours...so if I wanted to I could set the seat to the same spot as your's for example and the preload would be the same.

Bear in mind that these spring rates are quite soft so an 1/8" change in height would only equate to about 25-35lbs change on the rear springs.

I'm not looking for drastic ride height changes, just enough to tweak each corner exactly as I want and get it weighted up properly....along with Chris' revalved dampers.

A height adjustment system on these Bilstein dampers that was independant of preload would have to be another mini project :D

I do have a spare one so perhaps I'll cut it open and see if there's any spare meat down there - it may well be impossible though if the piston stroke etc is too long.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

A height adjustament system on these Bilstein dampers that was independant of preload would have to be another mini project :D

I do have a spare one so perhaps I'll cut it open and see if there's any spare meat down there - it may well be impossible though if the piston stroke etc is too long.

Thats what i need, id like to raise mine up a bit but not at the expense of a harsh ride, The CW kit does ride very nice, i have a TT auto that i run about in with TRD shocks and springs, i am tempted to put that kit on my Black car, or maybe just the springs if they fit, that car rides so nice and the height is perfect for me.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/jamie450x/silverttdone004.jpg

nice ride dude

Dan where did you get the coilover sleeve from??

Is it just for height adjustment?

as i have been awol from the supra scene for a while just caught up on all this Dan, great thread, a car to be proud of mate :thumbs:

Cheers guys.

The sleeves (yes, for height adjustment) are a genuine Bilstein part, a colleague of mine found them in the US and brought them back home in his suitcase for me :D

• 2 months later...

New clutch slave cylinder fitted along with one of Mr Whiffin's braided clutch hoses - thanks Paul. :thumbs:

I also had a few bits powder coated once I got the breather side of things sorted out...all looks a bit tidier now and I'll post a couple of decent shots up once I've had chance to give the engine bay a bit of a clean.