The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sky Insurance - best policy, best price, best service

:blink:, I don't understand insurance companies. mine has gone up well over £100 with them this year, and I have done less than 1000 miles the last 2 years and it's of the road from august until april. every year.

Hi,

rates are up typically by 30%-40% across the industry, we have no control over these increases. Having said that it is well worth talking to our renewals team to see if we can change any of your details (eg restrict the mileage) to bring the price down.

I'll PM you.

Thanks

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Sky were dearer than going on go compare by about £50. Am 34 with full ncd no points etc, was a bit supprised they weren't at least the same if u are getting club discount.

If they were roughly the same a would have gone with them.

Not trying to diss them obviously I just come from the wrong area lol

Guest Rays the roof
need to insure with all mods declared came out just over £600 cheaper than sky was very suprised, not hateing just giving feedback as that is a massive amount of money

dan

ADMIRAL

Quoted £499 but then told about multiple car policy! Don't have to cancel other cars policy but renew with them. Brings supra insurance down to £311. Fully comp, protected no claims, value £4500, excess £350. Cheaper than my normal car and trike

They have stopped doing agreed value for everyone now. I was on agreed value for the last 4 years or so and was told on renewal this time that the underwriter has stopped doing this.

I've still got all mods covered like for like and stated the value of the car & mods.

Just have to say been a long time lurker, finally signed up as I had gotten a hold of a Supra, and figured I'd start posting sooner or later.

Getting a Supra came with the usual challenge of finding the right one, being sold by the right person. A lot of the so called 'premium' Supra car lots in the UK (I won't mention names) are a bunch of jokers and they are the time wasters. But the biggest obstacle was insurance.

Despite having driven in the States for fifteen years, with a full no claims record and not once pulled over by the police or been in an automobile incident, English insurance companies treated me like an Essex teenage boy racer with a lead foot.

A lot of insurance companies won't cover an automobile with the status that the Supra has(similar for RX7, Skyine, 300ZX Fairlady etc.) unless you have four or five years UK license; some won't do it till nine.

This is where brokers like Adrian Flux(who are also shady in their own way)come in handy, because they have a premium list of the insurers who will cover performance cars with the least hassle.

And this is all well and good, IF you meet certain requirements, one of which being over twenty-five and/or having a full UK license for XX numbers of years - which is no different than the generic insurance companies I was referring to above. What the premium insurers give you though, is the ability to modify (or purchase a pre modified vehicle) your car with as minimum hassle as possible.

So for someone such as myself, I had to spend countless hours finding an insurance company, who would at least give some recognition to my driving record in the States, and put that towards the three years I had with a full UK license. A found a handful out of out of eighty or more companies who would consider SZ Supras(which was useless to me), and only one would cover me on TT Supras. On the latter company, the premiums weren't bad, the excess was kinda ridiculous, but it was a compromise since no one else would cooperate. The major downside though was modifications. Even if the car had a set of 18" wheels, or a bomex front bumper it was declined.

I can say with complete certainty, that I have no idea if Sky would be any good for someone with normal circumstances, but for me, they were one of the many who turned me away.

A massive hole burning in my pocket, almost £20,000 to spend on a car, and I was banging my head against the wall because of a-hole insurers.

Big massive thanks to AVIVA, who gave me a chance and now I am a happy owner.

I challenge Sky to assess my past situation and pass comment on what they think they could do to set themselves apart for drivers who migrated from other countries - because that's a huge untapped part of the market that no one is picking up on.

P.S. Big laugh at Admiral who wanted £4,500 annualy for a SZ.

Edited by Hollywood (see edit history)

Just have to say been a long time lurker, finally signed up as I had gotten a hold of a Supra, and figured I'd start posting sooner or later.

Getting a Supra came with the usual challenge of finding the right one, being sold by the right person. A lot of the so called 'premium' Supra car lots in the UK (I won't mention names) are a bunch of jokers and they are the time wasters. But the biggest obstacle was insurance.

Despite having driven in the States for fifteen years, with a full no claims record and not once pulled over by the police or been in an automobile incident, English insurance companies treated me like an Essex teenage boy racer with a lead foot.

A lot of insurance companies won't cover an automobile with the status that the Supra has(similar for RX7, Skyine, 300ZX Fairlady etc.) unless you have four or five years UK license; some won't do it till nine.

This is where brokers like Adrian Flux(who are also shady in their own way)come in handy, because they have a premium list of the insurers who will cover performance cars with the least hassle.

And this is all well and good, IF you meet certain requirements, one of which being over twenty-five and/or having a full UK license for XX numbers of years - which is no different than the generic insurance companies I was referring to above. What the premium insurers give you though, is the ability to modify (or purchase a pre modified vehicle) your car with as minimum hassle as possible.

So for someone such as myself, I had to spend countless hours finding an insurance company, who would at least give some recognition to my driving record in the States, and put that towards the three years I had with a full UK license. A found a handful out of out of eighty or more companies who would consider SZ Supras(which was useless to me), and only one would cover me on TT Supras. On the latter company, the premiums weren't bad, the excess was kinda ridiculous, but it was a compromise since no one else would cooperate. The major downside though was modifications. Even if the car had a set of 18" wheels, or a bomex front bumper it was declined.

I can say with complete certainty, that I have no idea if Sky would be any good for someone with normal circumstances, but for me, they were one of the many who turned me away.

A massive hole burning in my pocket, almost £20,000 to spend on a car, and I was banging my head against the wall because of a-hole insurers.

Big massive thanks to AVIVA, who gave me a chance and now I am a happy owner.

I challenge Sky to assess my past situation and pass comment on what they think they could do to set themselves apart for drivers who migrated from other countries - because that's a huge untapped part of the market that no one is picking up on.

P.S. Big laugh at Admiral who wanted £4,500 annualy for a SZ.

Hollywood, it is hard to comment without your details but we (Sky) really try and seek out the lower risk cases, unfortunately (in the eyes of insurers and according to claims statistics) someone who has not had proven and up to date UK driving experience and residency is very high risk on even a standard UK car, let alone a performance/import/modified car. It seems you have had this issue with many UK insurers not just us, but thank you for posting on our thread.

Rang Sky earlier and was told that you don't do agreed value anymore for existing customers......is that correct, Ollie?

Apologies for the delay, as it stands we have no agreed value facility. Fewer and fewer underwriters are offering them unfortunately. If anything changes we will let you know. It is worth pointing out that a customer would have our full support if a low value was placed on their car in the event of a claim.

Just want to say that the quote i had today was superb and the best i could get.

Good stuff, thanks for posting. We're still writing a hell of a lot of Mkiv Supra policies despite some classic style policy providers popping onto the scene.

On that subject, for anyone who does meet the criteria for a classic car provider, they are offering excellent prices. For those who do not meet the criteria we still maintain we are the best for the majority of Mkiv Supra owners, our enquiry and conversion levels back this up. Our conversion rate for Mkiv Supra averages between 35% and 40% and renewals retention rate is 60%. Good figures in our industry, especially in such a fiercly competitive market.

Thanks

I had a nice letter from Sky when I got home today telling me my insurance would be cancelled in 7 days and I'm legally required to return my certificate of insurance. Something of a shock seeing as the only previous contact I had was yesterday (the same day as the letter was sent) which was a message enquiring whether I had yet received the registration number for my car.

I've called this evening and spoken to a very helpful gentleman who assured me everything was fine and I shouldn't have been sent the letter (something of a relief). I would have preferred not to have received it at all..

On the plus side I'm now wide awake, I was going to take a nap!

Edited by AlexM (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would post here incase you see this before getting my call back request

All your phone numbers seem to be going to a mail box (requesting mail box number)

I need to contact you to tell you of major bodywork modification to my car before I pick it up hopefully in the next couple of days

If I can't get hold of you to tell you I am not sure where I stand with my insurance

Just thought I would post here incase you see this before getting my call back request

All your phone numbers seem to be going to a mail box (requesting mail box number)

Hi,

we had an issue with our phone lines, I understand this is now resolved.

I'll PM you.

Thanks