The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid turbos ....

ace67

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back a guy here in Sweden made 416 rwhp at only 1,16 bar with the GIK T28 Supra hybrids they are good for around 1,6-1,8 bar so go figure that was made on pumpgas . This hybrids are similiar to the ones Stu Hagen and Hammerhead are doing in the states now iam sorry but i think Stus the man not Graham when it comes to doing seq. hybrids on Supras Stus been doing it for 5 years now.....

You can read all about it here

http://www.97supraturbo.com/

not hybrids mate, there using a totally different catridge

and FYI a T28R can make 320-340 hp each depending on the wheels you choose i know since i have a setup here that soon will go my R34GTR VspecII :-).

So please stop saying its impossible its not ...nothing is impossible but lots of vendors want to sell there single kits since they do lots of money on them ......

Here are a new idea from Australia this was also said to be impossible to do... i guess the ppl that thoughts so was so very wrong ;-)

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456989

agreed, however, again there not hybrids, there a sequential upgrade...believe me I have read all these threads inside out

surely they're only hybrids if based on / around the stock turbo and wastegate set-up. Anything else is just an aftermarket turbo.

What do we have for our lucky winner ;)

surely they're only hybrids if based on / around the stock turbo and wastegate set-up. Anything else is just an aftermarket turbo.

That's the point I was trying to make.

Ace67 is misunderstanding the term hybrids, although hybrid could mean any combination of two dissimilar turbos, around here it basically means combination of one/half dissimilar turbo with the OEM housing, with all else (manifold, hoses, pipes) remaining stock also.

Those guys are just talking about bolting up totally different turbos to the stock sequential system, new manifold etc.

Hijacking here, my future plans is to get what i can out of my auto, as we know you can only get 500 max out of a auto, any way been able to achive in the 400's with hybrids is it a large noticable difference, what is it like when you go from stock to a full hybrid BPU I.E with hks 264 cams, 680cc injector's, hks fule rail, link ecu, you know what im getting at, if you do it properly without going single and you hit your limmit with the above what is it like what does it feel like driving a full bpu to standard?

i know its a bit like saying whats the difference between 500bhp car and 1000bhp thats a massive difference of cours but how would explain driving a bpu with 100 to 150bhp compared to stock is it really worth doing?

Not a clue mate, went straight to this with the rebuild of the engine, never drove it standard :D

What do we have for our lucky winner ;)

:wooohoo: I'll put my acceptance speech together forthwith :D

Strictly speaking, a hybrid turbo is any turbo at all made up of parts sourced from one or more different turbos (could also be called bastardised :D ), so I can see where ace67 is coming from.

So a machined oem cartridge with T28 inhold isnt a hybrid lol what is it then ? The turbos made in Sweden which by the way doesnt have the optimistic dynos they have in the US which was oem machined cartidge with T28 exh/comp wheel did 416 rwhp at 1,16 bar so please do some math they will easily provide 500 rwhp at 1,6 bar . But you guys know best especially Homer of course you guys in UK must be best someone form US or from another country cant know more than you do lol . Do you still have your water and sewerpipes outside the houses thats is really cleaver ;-).

Thanx :-)

:wooohoo: I'll put my acceptance speech together forthwith :D

Strictly speaking, a hybrid turbo is any turbo at all made up of parts sourced from one or more different turbos (could also be called bastardised :D ), so I can see where ace67 is coming from.

Bit of a misunderstanding all round then, shake hands and make up :)

We, on here, class "hybrid turbos" as modified stock housings. The term "Hybrid" however in the wider scope of turbocharging means taking parts from different off-the-shelf turbos and making a hybrid up out of them.

I'll get this back in tech if people play nice :D

-Ian

So a machined oem cartridge with T28 inhold isnt a hybrid lol what is it then ? The turbos made in Sweden which by the way doesnt have the optimistic dynos they have in the US which was oem machined cartidge with T28 exh/comp wheel did 416 rwhp at 1,16 bar so please do some math they will easily provide 500 rwhp at 1,6 bar .

I did ask the question as to whether they were just aftermarket turbos altogether, or custom oem/aftermarket, which would make them hybrids, but you never answered.

You also said that the hybrid turbos sold over here were completely stock OEM export-spec turbos, which I said was wrong.

Which point exactly are you arguing?

It's interesting to know that the T28s you were referring to are using machined stock housings (am I getting confused between inhold/housing/cartridge here ? ;) ). Why couldn't you have just clarified that when I asked rather than expecting us to read through 14 pages and try to work out what http://***the*other*forum***/ means ?

Anyway, forget all that. How come they need a new manifold?

Apart from the bickering and the who knows best, i am quite interested in just how much meat is left in the STD housings after they have been machined out to take T28 turbine and compressor?

I'm still not sure that's the case. He said "machined OEM cartridge and T28 inhold". I don't know what an inhold is (we already know I'm not technical), but I'm presuming the cartridge is the internals, is it? Then there's the talk of a custom manifold.

Can someone clarify what exactly is being talked about here? Is it a T28 housing with OEM internals (which would seem strange wouldn't it?), or is it T28 internals in a stock housing (but then why new manifold?)

Sorry for all the questions, it's just not clear.

Without using a translator, whats the Swedish for clever?

Yes yes, his English is better than my Swedish etc etc etc. When it's me spouting racist rubbish about Sweden I'll learn his language. ;)

Sorry for the off topic posts everyone, but that got on my tits. Technical disagreements are one thing, this guy's responses are totally another.

If you can get T28 internals in then that's a set of hybrids I'd be interested in. Considering one will flow enough air for 300bhp on a 2 litre 4 cylinder SR20DET, a pair of them on a sequential system would be awesome considering the spool on the first one with 50% extra capacity and 2 extra cylinders feeding it. Then on the switch to both in use it'd be 1.5 litres and 3 cylinders feeding each - ignoring other variables I'd say that's a good recipe for a genuine 500bhp hybrid setup.

If you can get a set of hybrids still using the sequential system but with GT28RS internals in as Steve has suggested, that would be the ultimate given the reputation of the GT28RS spool and power wise.

Would like to do more - where and who can make and supply such hybrids?

Hijacking here, my future plans is to get what i can out of my auto, as we know you can only get 500 max out of a auto, any way been able to achive in the 400's with hybrids is it a large noticable difference, what is it like when you go from stock to a full hybrid BPU I.E with hks 264 cams, 680cc injector's, hks fule rail, link ecu, you know what im getting at, if you do it properly without going single and you hit your limmit with the above what is it like what does it feel like driving a full bpu to standard?

i know its a bit like saying whats the difference between 500bhp car and 1000bhp thats a massive difference of cours but how would explain driving a bpu with 100 to 150bhp compared to stock is it really worth doing?

If you can get T28 internals in then that's a set of hybrids I'd be interested in. Considering one will flow enough air for 300bhp on a 2 litre 4 cylinder SR20DET, a pair of them on a sequential system would be awesome considering the spool on the first one with 50% extra capacity and 2 extra cylinders feeding it. Then on the switch to both in use it'd be 1.5 litres and 3 cylinders feeding each - ignoring other variables I'd say that's a good recipe for a genuine 500bhp hybrid setup.

If you can get a set of hybrids still using the sequential system but with GT28RS internals in as Steve has suggested, that would be the ultimate given the reputation of the GT28RS spool and power wise.

Would like to do more - where and who can make and supply such hybrids?

I have my set of hybrids if someone wants to fund the conversion :D

Yes yes, his English is better than my Swedish etc etc etc. When it's me spouting racist rubbish about Sweden I'll learn his language. ;)

Sorry for the off topic posts everyone, but that got on my tits. Technical disagreements are one thing, this guy's responses are totally another.

Yes well people misunderstood each other and you know what blokes are like, we dig in and start hurling insults instead, no harm done, move along, nothing to see here :D

I'm in an unusually charitable mood, enjoy it while it lasts

-Ian

Are GIK Turboteknik still around? Ulf there did me a superb turbo, cast manifold and cam for my old Volvo 240 Turbo, many years ago, I was impressed by their workmanship and ability to take on odd engines and design systems for them that looked OEM. Some great cars and engines in Sweden these days, and some very clever engineers. My take on these hybrids is it's all very well being clever with the compressor side, but without recourse to unique manifolds, changing the size of the turbine (much) is a virtual none starter due to the flange pattern and turbo turbine casting being bespoke to the 2JZ-GTE