The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Evo 8 brakes fitted

supradibbs

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously fitting spacers is not the way forward.

I'm slightly confused as to why you needed them, can you elaborate on this and also let us all know if, for instance, normal UK spec wheels xlear these calipers?

glad someone asked that as i couldn't see the point of using a similar spec 4 pot caliper and exactly the same size rotor as UK spec, what advantage is there

I know, but they are lighter cars....

I'm not concerned with the caliper choice...just with the spacer.

Sorry mate, should have quoted Paul on that one. That comment was aimed at him.

Spacer is a bit of a concern as well.

How much lighter?? Any idea of the weight of the newer sti and evos?

i explained thi in the first post alex i had to use a wheel spacer because my volks have a very aggresive offset

Yeah you said that you had a LOT of offset, hut I'm guessing you meant NOT a lot... you don't have a lot of clearance...

So do you know how this brake kit would fair with a wheel with an offset similar to a UK spec 17"??

Just figure it would be useful for potential buyer to know this.

i would say the 18s should be ok but struggke with the 17s

They look good Wayne :thumbs:

So are the brakes a bigger diameter, which is why you'd need 18's rather than 17's? Or is it the clearance between the width of the calipers/spokes that would be an issue?

I ask because a 17 and 18 wheel of the same offset should give similar brake clearance width wise (obviously some wheel/spoke designs will vary a little).

Alex how can i put this errrr piss off?!!! this is the first kit i have made i dont own uks or 18" wheels if someone wants to bring me one of each over i would be very happy to try it give me a break i have had them on the car for 2 days man, i have not comitted myself to producing these kits as yet still considering it

Nic as above i dont know for sure mate they do look alot bigger than uk spec breaks but as said happy to try,will say though they are alot better on breaking in my opinion

Alex how can i put this errrr piss off?!!! this is the first kit i have made i dont own uks or 18" wheels if someone wants to bring me one of each over i would be very happy to try it give me a break i have had them on the car for 2 days man, i have not comitted myself to producing these kits as yet still considering it

Nic as above i dont know for sure mate they do look alot bigger than uk spec breaks but as said happy to try,will say though they are alot better on breaking in my opinion

You've had them on the car for 2 days and have diagrams etc and are now trying to tout them for sale as a kit.

Now, take you fucking head out your arse and accept that I was just trying to say that IF you get off your arse and test them with some UK wheels that I'm sure someone would lend you then you could take away a lot of the guess work for those that might be interested in buying them.

And seeing as you've taken the oppertunity to have a go at me when I was trying to be constructive. I think you're silly to fit these brakes to a Supra that weighs a lot more than the car they came off. It's a pointless effort by someone that has always valued flashiness over actual effectiveness. The swept volume won't be any greater and the stopping power probably reduced over a working set of UK's. But don't let that stop you. And as for running spacers to get your bits of bling on :rolleyes: . 16 different blues, wonky stitching and brakes from a car 200kgs lighter....way to go.

Sorry, had to speak my mind seeing as you did. :)

You've had them on the car for 2 days and have diagrams etc and are now trying to tout them for sale as a kit.

Now, take you fucking head out your arse and accept that I was just trying to say that IF you get off your arse and test them with some UK wheels that I'm sure someone would lend you then you could take away a lot of the guess work for those that might be interested in buying them.

And seeing as you've taken the oppertunity to have a go at me when I was trying to be constructive. I think you're silly to fit these brakes to a Supra that weighs a lot more than the car they came off. It's a pointless effort by someone that has always valued flashiness over actual effectiveness. The swept volume won't be any greater and the stopping power probably reduced over a working set of UK's. But don't let that stop you. And as for running spacers to get your bits of bling on :rolleyes: . 16 different blues, wonky stitching and brakes from a car 200kgs lighter....way to go.

Sorry, had to speak my mind seeing as you did. :)

so u brought a supra yet Alex or can you still not afford one

17s and 18s will fit over the set up its the spoke offset that is the issue,

I am sure we can get a drawing up to show the lowest spoke offset that will fit.

And yes they work better than the last uk brakes i had.

And yes i tested them with diffrent discs and pads.

And at a regular 150 to 0

Play nicely children. :) ;)

Wayne, these are valid questions, from a tech point of view. Esp if you plan to sell them as kits later. Good luck with it.

Alex, you live up as always to your user title. :D

So basically whats needed to know is if they'll fit over 17's etc what offsets they suit all that stuff.

Play nicely children. :) ;)

Wayne, these are valid questions, from a tech point of view. Esp if you plan to sell them as kits later. Good luck with it.

Alex, you live up as always to your user title. :D

So basically whats needed to know is if they'll fit over 17's etc what offsets they suit all that stuff.

sorry Doug i dont agree, i was asked if i would start selling these kits by Graham so am considering it how can i begin to answer question like clearance of uk wheels etc when its clear i have not had done this Alex as normally is being in my opnion a twat trying to pick holes in threads with his i know so much more than everyone else attitude this is the second time hes done this to me personaly i think he needs to grow up stop scrolling the internet for facts and figures on supras and get a life

As i have said am happy to do some research with my fabricator to see what wheels will fit with what offsets.

Now i hope this puts it to bed and Alex if you have some sort of personal issue with me then pick up the phone an lets talk about it before you really piss me off

I have had to fit 20mm spacers to mine I have aroud 5mm of clearance off the spoke I had tried my wheels on a uk car to see if they would fit but found them to have the same clearance issues. I have not had a go with a uk brake set up, but im happy with the Evo setup, it stops my car with ease from 140 leptons which is more than ample for what I want and I still have the endless pads and a braided hoses set to go on.

how did you quantify this, what size pistons do the brembos have over the stock UK specs, these are genuine questions as i really cannot see how this set up using 4 pots and same diameter rotors (and £200 more expensive) has ANY advantage over the UK set up

Actually Wayne I think you'll find Alex has a large amount of real world experience having owned two Supras so far, got the first E-Manage Blue working on a VVTi setup in the UK (with some help ;) ), and is currently restoring JB's car to some form of mechanical happiness - for free, just for the love of the car. Admittedly I haven't seen him polish anything or attempt upholstery work in the dark with a blindfold on, but I personally wouldn't let that diminish my opinions of his technical abilities.

As for him not being able to afford a Supra, when was the last time you offered to pay someone cash instead of polishing stuff in return ;)

And as for the Brembo's, you do realise that most owners that seriously use their Evos upgrade those very Brembos as quickly as they can, as they are very poor OEM spec ones which fade faster than a firework. Just thought you might want to know that wee fact seeing as it's home truth day. The stock UK spec brakes on the Supra however will cheerfully survive a good caning around a circuit. They aren't red, though, and don't, however, have a nice blingy logo on, so if that's your priority then good luck to you and indeed the car in front of you.

-Ian

And yes i tested them with diffrent discs and pads.

And at a regular 150 to 0

Why on earth would you ever want to stop from 150 mph to 0? and regularly? I'm sorry fella but I dont believe that for a minute... there is no sense to it at all.

I've only had to brake hard from near that speed once and that was with the cops in hot pursuit :D