The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water Injection, declined in popularity, why??

Chris Wilson

I use mine just as abit of a safety net for the engine really, if an injector was to run low or some rubbish fuel goes through hopefully the w/i may help save the motor, that or it makes me feel more at ease when ive got my right foot through the carpet for hours on end.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I reckon I have fitted at least twenty WI kits to Supras, but have not fitted one for about 2.5 years now. Odd how things go in fashionable waves.

You fitted mine in 2007 chris:)actually i could do with a couple of spare nozzles, where`s the best place to get them please?

You fitted mine in 2007 chris:)actually i could do with a couple of spare nozzles, where`s the best place to get them please?

ERL sell them, and I have a few spare, what colour is the band on it? I am getting a current price for some kits tomorrow, another member is having a kit fitted when i do some other work on his car. I'll post up here when I have a current price. I recommend the basic pressure switch triggered kit unless you have an aftermarket mappable ecu with a spare output for running WI. I use the standard screen washer reservoir for both screen wash and WI purposes, so you get a very neat install.

• 3 years later...
Thanks , last q

If I install WI will it cause the carbon deposits to dislodge and maybe cause engine issues?

Inlet and exhaust valve deposits will normally be reduced when running WI, but their removal or reduction causes no harm, just good. carbon deposits are in a constant state of flux anyway. Hence the black "smoke" out of an exhaust of an engine run very hard for the first time in months.

Anything that cools the intake charge further than the I/C can manage on a given day is free power, so adding WI will lower charge air temps. At a trackday at an airfield my pretty much bone stock mazda FD-3S rotart engine saw 68 degrees C charge air temps on a stinking hot UK summer day. With WI turned on (same airfileld, same day, same LAP) charge air temps went down to 42 degrees C and it felt like someone in a Group C car was giving me a push, so much powwr did this cooled charge give. I don't suggest it to give the ability to run the most aggressive ignition timing possible on fuel "X", more to maximise charge air cooling on any given day.

Someone asked about costs, i don't rate mappable systems for road cars, too complex, and no one here uses an engine dyno anyway, which you'd really need to get the best out of it. I recoomend, and use myself, a basic ERL 1s switched system coming on line at .9 bar So whatever they currently cost and i charge about 75 quid to fit it (properly). That's using the stock screen washer bottle to feed the WI and the screen washer pumps.

What's your opinion on progressive systems? You think a simple on/off system is best?

I think that is part of the issue with water injection. Few people actually know anything about it.

If I was building a turbo track car I would probably look into it. But for a well setup road car that is very rarely on WOT, it's an unnecessary extravagance, and just something else to maintain.

With better tech becoming available it has been required less and less, I still have it installed on my track motor and is wired into the Syvecs for activation with an override switch on the dash, but to be honest I used it less and less, the main reason for install was to protect against det but decent ECU, fuel and spark plugs meant det wasnt really an issue anymore.

If you were going to map for it then the gains would prob better had from a flexfuel sensor running 50/50 meth in the tank with the fuel, the ECU would then trim the fueling and ignition to suit on the fly based on the mixture, much simpler solution with less to go wrong and I would guess safer for the engine too.

I ran an Aquamist proportional setup on both my true twin and single turbo supra, I used EMU to map the meth/WI using the extra injector map, I didn't really map too much for it, as it needs too many safety fail safes, I had level, empty and flow fail safes, but you would need boost cut, ignition retard and extra fuel to keep it fully covered, but its nothing a decent stand alone couldn't cope with.

I ran a split injector system, with one jet at the IC outlet for general charge cooling, and another at the throttle body for in cylinder cooling, if I had kept the car I would have graduated it to a one jet per intake setup.

I think that is part of the issue with water injection. Few people actually know anything about it.

If I was building a turbo track car I would probably look into it. But for a well setup road car that is very rarely on WOT, it's an unnecessary extravagance, and just something else to maintain.

In Ireland we only have 95 octane so was using it to help towards detonation rather than as a performance gain and to keep my internals nice and clean

I have a aquamist system on mine (was on the car when I bought it) as I knew nothing about it before I owned this car I looking into it (mainly youtube videos and google) just to find out more about it for maintenance etc.. and they claim very high performance increase because of the cooler intake temperatures meaning more oxygen so more fuel and as a result more power, do they really increase performance by much or is it just that its better for the engine? the figures they were claiming seemed very high

I have a aquamist system on mine (was on the car when I bought it) as I knew nothing about it before I owned this car I looking into it (mainly youtube videos and google) just to find out more about it for maintenance etc.. and they claim very high performance increase because of the cooler intake temperatures meaning more oxygen so more fuel and as a result more power, do they really increase performance by much or is it just that its better for the engine? the figures they were claiming seemed very high

Basically it will cool the intake charge, and help with det suppression, however the quantity has to be well controlled to be of any benefit, and usually any increase is pretty minimal, WI needs to be mapped for to be realise any of the gains that are claimed.

Basically it will cool the intake charge, and help with det suppression, however the quantity has to be well controlled to be of any benefit, and usually any increase is pretty minimal, WI needs to be mapped for to be realise any of the gains that are claimed.

Ahh ok thankyou very much :)