The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water Injection, declined in popularity, why??

Chris Wilson

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is not that bad really

Whats all that in the boot....

I see the yellow top battery and the WI kit is on the right; what are the other two units?

Are they amps.....look MASSIVE & if I may say so....archaic (bit like a cassette player) ;)

Yeah, one 4 channel amp and one mono amp for the sub, you can just make out the custom sub box that sits between the rear seats and the boot. I have a 12" sub in that.

The cardboard box has my fire extinguisher in it.

IMI the amps are only 1 year or so old. They are not big at all in comparison to some other makes.

I'm thinking WI would be beneficial for me out here, where temps can get in the high 30's in the summer, which robs a lot of power.

Chris which of the Aquamist kits would you recommend? (I will be runninga Garrett GT35R turbo and HKS Fcon ECU).

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/cp.html

Anyone able to supply a kit less VAT to me in HK?

Nic will the Fcon drive extra injectors/ if so you could go for the 2c if not then the 2s kit is fully 3D mappable, i run the 2c kit using the Emanage to map it, if you contact Aqamist direct you may get a good price otherwise i got mine at a good price from PTS in Sussex, i'll see if i can find the web address.

Devils own make some really good kits too. They have a really good Budget kit with a progressive controller which works out at £160+p&P and would be suitable for most peoples needs.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/universal-progressive-alcohol-injection-kit-p-12.html

And heres the fitting destructions to give you an idea

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/progressive_alcohol_injection_instructions_vc.pdf

Going to be running 1 of these myself.

Better pic showing the sub box...

:thumbs:- seems like everything in your car be it engine, turbo, fuelling, WI or even Audio is top notch - well done.

BASIC QUESTION

My car is a BPU TT. I am using an Apexi SAFC for fuelling (piggyback) - how would I be able to make use of a WI kit (say to automatically fire up above 1bar)?

Car is tuned for 1.2bar at the moment, would adding water to the mixture above 1bar reduce the efficiency of the map.....(would the car NEED to be mapped to take into account WI or is the difference minimal).

thx

Devils own make some really good kits too. They have a really good Budget kit with a progressive controller which works out at £160+p&P and would be suitable for most peoples needs.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/universal-progressive-alcohol-injection-kit-p-12.html

And heres the fitting destructions to give you an idea

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/progressive_alcohol_injection_instructions_vc.pdf

Going to be running 1 of these myself.

I had one of their systems as well, never installed it though and went for the cooling mist one instead as it came with the tank and pump preinstalled.

:thumbs:- seems like everything in your car be it engine, turbo, fuelling, WI or even Audio is top notch - well done.

BASIC QUESTION

My car is a BPU TT. I am using an Apexi SAFC for fuelling (piggyback) - how would I be able to make use of a WI kit (say to automatically fire up above 1bar)?

Car is tuned for 1.2bar at the moment, would adding water to the mixture above 1bar reduce the efficiency of the map.....(would the car NEED to be mapped to take into account WI or is the difference minimal).

thx

These kits usually come with a boost switch, you can change it according to when you want it to come on.

hi have a couple of questions surrounding wi

1. dosent meth strip the lacour off paint ? so using it in the washer bottle at high concentrations (100%) is not a good idea (i might have drempt this up though:shrug:)

2. also i have one of your systems installed chris (have just brought nicks old 98 vvti veilside kit RSP which youve done alot of work on in the past) with your WI setup, if i was to run out of water would this damage the pump or anything else. Basically do your setups rely on the water injection system?

sorry for the slight highjack with the second question!

cheers

Meths are already used in washer fluid that you already put into the washer bottle now. It will not strip your paint, not diluted at least.

Most pumps sold today advertise that they can run dry for up to one hour.

thanks for the info mate

i dont need to worry to much about the pump then as if it dosent come in until 0.9 bar, to have it run for an hour would take a while!

If its an Aquamist pump, it wont run 100% methanol without damaging the seals! if Chris installed it, then the engine wont be set up to be reliant on WI, if you read his earlier post here, also there is no advantage to running 100% methanol unless engine/management are set up for it, in any case using more than 50% is a waste of time as at more than 50% concentration it actually reduces the cooling capacity of the WI.

Supracharged - The car doesn't rely on WI so don't worry, I just used water and screenwash and toped it up once a week.

Before a long journey when I knew I would be giving it some on the motorway then I would top it up before leaving, and when I filled up with petrol just to be on the safe side.

BTW you may want to take that power figure with a pinch of salt. ;) The dyno sheet that was in with the receipts is from Tuning Japanese and it's a little optomistic IMO.:)

The pump will fail if run dry, so make sure there's always some water in the reservoir. I recommend you add 25% or so methanol to the water. It won't harm the pump if you use commercial screen wash additive in the water, nor the engine. The engine won't mind not having the WI working, it's on a stock ecu, it just adds a bit extra charge cooling. Nice car you have there, look after it!

..So I then said, well OK, but what about the potential performance gain?

He then launched into an explanation of how it's actually a really inefficient performance gain, as you're now lugging a load of water around....

By this time I was feeling a little foolish....

...as you should;)

This man may be an expert in a field or another, but not in this one.

His opinion therefore carries little weight

He makes simplistic assumptions (water puts out fire, doesn't burn etc...) without knowing how it really works.

But he thinks he knows, hence the 'foolish' bit:eyebrows:

What he did suggest was that instead of using WI, he suggested using a spray bar for the intercooler, as you could use less water, and the effectiveness of it was much greater.

Again, an uninformed opinion from a non-expert.

He assumed that chargecooling is what WI is all about.

Well it isn't. It is only a minor byproduct, practically negligible in the winter on a well setup car.

The pump will fail if run dry, so make sure there's always some water in the reservoir. I recommend you add 25% or so methanol to the water. It won't harm the pump if you use commercial screen wash additive in the water, nor the engine. The engine won't mind not having the WI working, it's on a stock ecu, it just adds a bit extra charge cooling. Nice car you have there, look after it!

thanks for the info and quick reply chris, ive now got some methanol and have will be using a 1/4 mix as you surgest.

i havent run the pump dry, just wanted to know how bad it would be if that happened.

cheers