The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jakes car caught fire!

CJ

Glad to hear it worked out ok mate, how did the mapping go?:)
We couldn't do any mapping for hours after the incident because we needed a new oil return hose.

He did get a new one but it was like 1pm by then and Dan didn't think there was gonna be enough time in the day to map it properly. So I've left the car there and will pick it up when it's ready. Only took me 5½ fucking hours to get home on the train!

Dan rang me later in the afternoon and said that he's mapped it to 0.8bar so far and it sounds great. He said it spools really early but runs out of puff a bit at the top end. I'm sure the top end will be loads better at 1.5 bar though.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We couldn't do any mapping for hours after the incident because we needed a new oil return hose.

He did get a new one but it was like 1pm by then and Dan didn't think there was gonna be enough time in the day to map it properly. So I've left the car there and will pick it up when it's ready. Only took me 5½ fucking hours to get home on the train!

Dan rang me later in the afternoon and said that he's mapped it to 0.8bar so far and it sounds great. He said it spools really early but runs out of puff a bit at the top end. I'm sure the top end will be loads better at 1.5 bar though.

Im going up early saturday morning if you need a lift;)

Thank god it wasnt too serious and you and forunately the car are ok. As with Jo, ive seen my P&J go up in flames before my very eyes, outside my house and the police just so happened to be at the right place at the right time but stopped me running at the car to put it out and i cant tell the the distress i went through watching it go up in flames (track rod rubbing on a fuel pipe), just glad it only happened to you where it did and was sorted!! I carry 2 fire extinguishers now and as a word of advice, dont bother with the shitty little 20 quid halfords jobbies, they wont put out a fag. Get 2 big f*ck off ones or get a proper SPA fire extinguisher system with a engine pipe spray kit which automatically extinguishes a fire in the engine bay via 6-8 nozzles pre-installed spraying into the engine bay! a worthwhile investestment imho especially in the hot enviroment with glowing turbos/manifolds. Just my 2p worth

I did read the entire thread (if that was aimed at me)

I'm about 6 hours off GMT at the moment and didn't pay too much attention to the times of people's posts so didn't notice how recent Greg posted up.

1000 apologies to you all, I am not worthy !!

6 hours off GMT....central time USA...skiing? If so, lucky mofo! :D

Thank god it wasnt too serious and you and forunately the car are ok. As with Jo, ive seen my P&J go up in flames before my very eyes, outside my house and the police just so happened to be at the right place at the right time but stopped me running at the car to put it out and i cant tell the the distress i went through watching it go up in flames (track rod rubbing on a fuel pipe), just glad it only happened to you where it did and was sorted!! I carry 2 fire extinguishers now and as a word of advice, dont bother with the shitty little 20 quid halfords jobbies, they wont put out a fag. Get 2 big f*ck off ones or get a proper SPA fire extinguisher system with a engine pipe spray kit which automatically extinguishes a fire in the engine bay via 6-8 nozzles pre-installed spraying into the engine bay! a worthwhile investestment imho especially in the hot enviroment with glowing turbos/manifolds. Just my 2p worth

Interesting, would love a thread with more details about this. Was gunna ge a small 1 from tesco/ halfrads after reading this thread!

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes. You're a great bunch.

Just to be clear; this was only a drama for a few seconds and all is well now. The telling of the story takes much longer than the actual event did.

Thanks to Dan and his colleagues the car is 100% fine now

Well, did you soil your underwear? I have this image in my mind of you jumping up and down like a spaz generally getting in the way. I totally understand that though. If

1) I had a supra

2) It was like yours which lets face it is about as rare as it gets

I would be suffering involuntary mass reflex too (look that one up). SO glad to see that a prime example of a supra didnt go up in flames - that would be very very sad indeed.

p.s. get the Bandit to come collect you from Pompey, he will get there in about oooh 20 minutes! Alterntively see if he will pick you up in Guildford.....

p.p.s. I await dyno charts topping 550...

Oh no jake i feel for you mate
Thanks Darren mate, but it's nothing compared to the heartbreak I had with the engine in your (my old, in case folks were wondering) bloody car. All things considered, the problems with that engine cost me over 5k.

I'm glad you put a new engine into her. I reckon that other one was cursed

I thought "Shit, what shall I do?

I know! Run round the workshop like a little girl and shout FIRE! FIRE! at everyone"

So I did.

I've just made myself look stupid giggling at myself in the office at that :D

Any road.

Thought that was a northern expression.

Glad to hear it was nothing major and all sorted :)

What ho Jake, glad everything turned out OK. I remember the oil weeping issue at TOTB, at least you've finally got it sorted :rlol: :D

What's the flashpoint of engine oil? I've had oil on a manifold that's been at about 300 degC according to the old EGT gauge (cruise and idle) and it smokes like a bastard but doesn't ignite (phew).

Time to trade in your baseball bat for an extinguisher like I mentioned in that self-protection thread ;)

-Ian