The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jakes car caught fire!

CJ

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!! you are so lucky that it happened where it did where there were professionals around, imagine if it had happend when you was driving along! That would have been awful, but as everyone says, you are the main priority and your safe which is great( could have been alot different)

But very very bad luck it happened in the first place. But great you have someone to help and remake your pipe. Hope if doesnt cost too much to repair.

I know Joe has answered, but in typical Joe fashone he has understated it.

It was without a doubt the best Soarer in the UK, and one of the best in the world (if you include US versions SC300/400)

To say he was a little upset is a rather small understatment.

Yeah, so upset I bought a Supra :D The devil made me do it.

Cheers Andy ;)

Where the hell is Jake, I want to hear all the nitty gritty and also see how the map session went too.

UPDATE:

Ok pipe was replaced and mapping continued.

Had a quick chat with Dan and informed me that all went well.

Just waiting now for Jake to fill in the blanks.

Excellent cheers Greg

BTW, need to sort a day next week to get my new 264 cam in, it will be here tomorrow. ;)

Just got home.

Jesus what a day!

Dan wanted to do a power run with the car how it was before he started his mapping, which I thought was a great idea. They connected up all the sensors and Dan was in my car revving the arse off it like you do for a power run. I was watching anxiously like you do (anyone whose car has been on a dyno will know that feeling)

So the car was revving away and I was surprised to see that the tubular PHR manifold was glowing orange hot.

Then I thought :

"Was that smoke?, Yep that's definitely smoke. I'm sure it's not supposed to do that. Should I mention it to Dan? It probably does that all the time, you just can't see it usually - yeah it'll be alright, stop worrying you big poof"

Then suddenly there was a big poof! And flames. Fuck.

Fuck fuck fuck.

I've seen those videos of peoples cars that go from a fire like this into a total inferno in 2 mins flat.

I thought "Shit, what shall I do?

I know! Run round the workshop like a little girl and shout FIRE! FIRE! at everyone"

So I did.

Dan didn't seem to believe me for a second. Some guys appeared with Fire Extinguishers and Dan put the fire out with the minimum of fuss and mess. It was a mess but only 10% of what it would have been if I'd got hold the Fire Extinguisher before him!

... oh man I need a smoke

Back in minute

As, I think, Greg said. The oil return hose was touching the exhaust manifold and had burnt through. This of course sprayed engine oil over the glowing hot manifold and caught fire. When it first ignited it looked bad and I thought it was only going to get worse, much worse ... and quickly unless the engine was turned off straight away. Obviously the longer the engine is running the more oil there is being sprayed onto the fire.

Luckily Dan was a lot more composed than I was and turned the engine off and put the fire out without any fuss.

In my defence though, I would have been a lot calmer if it was somebody else's twenty grand car. :tongue:

Any road. Where was I? Oh yeah, the damage seems to be none.

Once the fire extinguisher powder was cleaned off and the oil residue cleaned off the manifold, wastegate etc I was surprised to see it was all fine, apart that damn hose of course.

I suppose most everything on that side of the engine is designed to be in a very hot environment and a few secs on fire doesn't do any harm. Amazing really.

I'm counting my lucky stars. Thank God it was raining this morning and I had to take it easy on my way there. If it hadn't been raining I would have blasted there in an effort not to be late. Then the fire would have happened on the road and the car would be a pile of ashes right now.

Jeeez Jake you dont half get some shit! As soon as i heard i gave Dan a buzz, he was his usual calm composed self, so i guessed it wasnt major. Nearly came over for a brew this morning as well, and if i had i'd probably have been there to witness you running around like a girl. :D [basil fawlty/]Fire, f f f f f fire! Over there, Fire!.

i gave Dan a buzz, he was his usual calm composed self, so i guessed it wasnt major. Nearly came over for a brew this morning as well
He's as cool as cucumber ain't he? Honestly the fire was only about the size of football when it first started but it still scared the shit out of me. I really thought the whole car was gonna be in flames within minutes like you see on YouTube etc.

Luckily as soon as the engine was turned off and the oil spray stopped the fire didn't look so bad cos then it was only the oil on parts that was on fire rather than the spraying oil.

Gonna get myself a couple of fire extinguishers tomorrow.

Jake, just out of interest who did the installation, and are they aware of the cause of the fire.

Not for a witch hunt, just so they take this into account next time.

I'd rather not say, because I don't hold them responsible.

Another trader, Mark from Phoenix, pointed out to me months ago (at TOTB actually) that there was a problem with the oil return line and that it was slightly leaking oil from the fitting. Mark tightened the fitting up a little but he couldn't really get at it because the car was red hot and to do it properly you need to remove stuff. He stopped the leak for the time being but told me to get it sorted properly as soon as I could.

Days/Weeks later I tightened it up myself but I'm now thinking that maybe I caused the return hose to move out of position and made it touch the manifold.

So that's why I don't want to say who fitted the kit, because it was probably my own negligence and nothing to do with the trader.