My single turbo install

RobSheffield

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rob, if you're working ouside mucka, and the wind isn't too strong, then it may be worth you investing in one of those cheap £30 Gazebos (from Homebase or B&Q) to place over your bay while you work - will work a treat;)

To be honest i have one, i dont normally work outside long enough to bother putting it up and taking it down!

Its only the last 2 days when its been REALLY cold, prior to that it was just marginally chilly.

It's stupidly cold here too mate - West Mids.

I find some nice strong fishermans friend mints keeps me warm, as well as an eskimo suit and fishing hand warmers.

Good progress Rob. Look forward to seeing the finished product mate. Take a break over xmas yeah! Good luck ;)

Greg

here are some pics of the thottle bypass you asked for

not very clear (camara phone), and difficult to get a good pic

just join the two pipes together that go to the underside of the throttlebody

i used some copper pipe to push in to the pipes and then jubilee them up, no leaks no probs.

i opted not to just block them as i thought that this would be more prone to leaking

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, i have left this a while so time to recap a little!

The last time i touched the car was boxing day, it was about 3 degrees, i had a million layers on, and work was slow but i made a fair bit of progress on it, i removed the old twins oil drains, i removed the lower manifold intake runners, removed the pressure tanks and made a start on removing the fuel pulsation dampener....i also removed the turbo, DP, MP and manifold that i had been test fitting...then it got dark, and i went back in rather chuffed....the next day i felt like shit!

I didnt work on it again for one reason or another til yesterday...

Spent 2 hours removing the last bits of the undertray (need a new one) the inner wheelarch covers and the lower 'turbo side' FMIC pipe (which was an arse of a job with bumper left on!) i also completely removed the Fuel pulsation dampener.

And that was about it, but it did feel REALLY good to get back into it again :)

Nice one Rob, do you know when you'll have it all finished?

I'm hoping to get mine back in a couple of weeks time, I had to fit a replacement engine in the end, due to bore and piston damage caused by the engine ingesting one of the turbos. I managed to find a low mileage VVTi engine from a JZS161 Aristo for £350. My old head, which was fortunately not damaged is getting swapped over onto it (a lot less hassle than trying to wire in the VVTi head).

Nice one Rob, do you know when you'll have it all finished?

Im thinking it will all be complete in a couple of months.

I have completely stripped it down now, i just need parts arriving.

I also have a few extra jobs to sort out - im doing my own polishing, full hand polishing on my wheels, engine bay painting, gearbox seal replacement.....etc :(

• 2 months later...

By the number of folk asking about this at pod i can see i have been really bad at updating this thread, so here goes...

I have removed the 2 water feeds from the water elbow, the TC system from the throttle body, incl cutting the flanges off where the Sub throttle motor and sensor sit, i have also started polishing my inlet manifold and compressor cover. I removed the 4 bolt flange on the manifold for the wastegate.

I then went to the welders and had him fill in the holes in the water elbow and TC and weld a v band flange onto my exhaust manifold.

I have also refitted my lower intake runners.

Jobs to do

1) sort oil lines, BOV fmic piping and exhaust wrapping

2) measure up for fuel lines, fit injectors and rail, pump and FPR and plumb it all up.

3) fit ECU and map :)

In addition i have also to sort out my dash, fit the RLTC unit to the dash, mount the AEM guage, and a million other jobs :p

Just a few little jobs to do then Rob ;) Most take more time than you expect but overall, it'll be together before you know whats happened :)

Not sure if you saw Tony's recent post, but he was saying that it's best to NOT wet the wrapping before install. This would make wrapping a major PITA (as if it wasn't bad enough already), but might be worth further discussion...

Just a few little jobs to do then Rob ;) Most take more time than you expect but overall, it'll be together before you know whats happened :)

Not sure if you saw Tony's recent post, but he was saying that it's best to NOT wet the wrapping before install. This would make wrapping a major PITA (as if it wasn't bad enough already), but might be worth further discussion...

I reckon 2 days job once parts turn up, but currently waiting on that, and not much i can do aside from polishing :p

I did see that yeah mate, iirc it can lead to cracking, so ill be putting it on dry.....when i find some (thats another thing to add to my list :p)

I did see that yeah mate, iirc it can lead to cracking, so ill be putting it on dry.....when i find some (thats another thing to add to my list :p)

Thinkauto.com

It's cheap as chips mate, less than £2 a meter. Used about 3m on my downpipe, but always good to have some spare for other bits :)

EDIT: BTW - it's horrible stuff though, rubber gloves and face mask is advised! Don't let it near your clothes as the glass fibre never comes out.

Just wondering, how do cobwebs affect the oil lines? Might be worth clearing them out when you get round to installing them as wouldn't want to clog up the turbo :p

Thats the least of his worries, its the rusted up bores etc he has to worry about :p

At least its still work in progress Rob, and your man enough to tackle it yourself.. keep it up dude and lets see some pics of the polishing? I can send you any length of metal ties/clips if you need any as I have plenty in work so you can cut and make it to whatever length you need..