The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Nurburgring Trip

AJI

only one slight scary moment..... and it had to be the very final lap I did aswell !!

Slightly scarier for others i believe.....

Has anyone else ever locked up their rears mid (wrong) gear change, :blink: With no excess engine noise before?

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Big thanks though to Tom, Steve R, Kate and Martyn, Rob, Glen and Tone (the Rex, MX boys), much entertainment provided both by beer at night and driving by day. What a fantastic weekend, apart from a few blips, but everyone is ok, so its fine.

The guys at the hotel were amazing, not only Frank, but the guys that spent hours reshaping the rex's nose back to its original shape almost perfectly.

Great run back eh Steve ;) Flyin past everythin!

Ian and I ran a 9'43 lap as our fastest, as its the one we caught with the least track traffic, apart from the coach that we got stuck behind round three corners. So we have somethin to aim for later in the year. ;)

The hotel was fantastic, spitting distance of the entrance to the Ring, and yet perfectly quiet at night. All in all it was a fab weekend, cant wait to go back for sub 9 minutes later on in the year :)

Names to faces : Left to right

Rob (silver Rex)

Tone (black mx5)

Glen (passenger silver Rex) aka mad Aussie

Martyn (silver Rex and armco damager)

Tom (ahh aristo) Aristo

Mike (j-spec germany) Black TT Auto

Me (ian R) Silver TT-T Auto

Lucy (Godmutha) Passenger silver TT-T Auto

Kate (steveR's Kate) passenger silver TT6

SteveR (silver TT6) behind the camera :)

Slightly scarier for others i believe.....

Has anyone else ever locked up their rears mid (wrong) gear change, :blink: With no excess engine noise before?

Its on the camcorder...... it was a genuine mistake. No other reason for me to get sideways like that in close proximity to other cars.

Not sure what you're trying to imply by that but I'll take it in good spirit and glad to see you all had a good trip.

My faster laps over the weekend were down in the low 8:40's, the spring assistors that were fitted have done a great job.

I was saying to Katrin that the Supra is a truely great car in that it can drive all the way from England to Germany, do 16 laps of the 'ring and then drive all the way back with no hint of a problem.

Its on the camcorder...... it was a genuine mistake. No other reason for me to get sideways like that in close proximity to other cars.

Not sure what you're trying to imply by that but I'll take it in good spirit and glad to see you all had a good trip.

My faster laps over the weekend were down in the low 8:40's, the spring assistors that were fitted have done a great job.

I was saying to Katrin that the Supra is a truely great car in that it can drive all the way from England to Germany, do 16 laps of the 'ring and then drive all the way back with no hint of a problem.

Good glad its on camcorder will be happy to take a view when you post it up just strange there was me seeing it as the back wheels lock like they did I am amazed that you mangaged to reverse a gear change compresion lock if you did then fair play. Either that or you brake bios is set up heavy on the rear the only other explanation would be that you pulled on the handbrake !!!!. But i'm sure you are not stupid enough to do that on an outside overtake, just after seeing a terrible accident a few minutes beforehand.

All I can os it a shame when you where given numerous chances to overtake you failed to take them and decided to do so on a corner where more risk would be involved.

But hey thats the nature of the beast when your on a track. :)

I saw all you guys indicating to let me by but we were filming you going round the track. It was a great opportunity to get some really good footage of a convoy of Supras on the 'ring at the same time.

When the camcorder battery started flashing I thought it would be a good idea to film a final fly-by in order to get a close up of each car.

As you know on the 'ring you can overtake on corners if the other cars are aware that you are there.

I made sure each of you had moved to the right hand side before I passed and proceeded to overtake. It was when I was turning in at Bergwerk that I caught the wrong gear.

I am not sure why you are thinking that I had any malice in my intentions, or any alterior motive for me to put myself or anybody else in danger.

If I wanted to 'show off' or anything like that I would have come flying past you at full throttle on the straight before that corner.

As I have said I have been in a the situation of catching the wrong gear on an earlier occasion and I have quite a lot of race track experience so I rescued the situation more or less as it happened. As you will see from the video (when I get it uploaded) there was no panic in my car, you hear me braking into the corner, then you hear the revs rise through the roof and the rears lock up, it then goes real quiet as I fire the clutch back in and then I try and re-find 4th gear.

Who has said anything about malicous intentions I have not tried to imply anything other than what I saw. To think so would lead me to believe you have a guilty concience.

BTW with your 'track experience' I thought you would be aware that Bergwerk is a 3rd gear corner not a second. I am amazed that you even got into fifth gear at that section of the track.

NIce to see you got some good times sort out you gear changes and you might even improve on them.

Good to see you car ran with no problems mine ran alot better on the way back as manage to get some air into the intercooler as we did a steady pace on the way home. :)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v143/AJI-2004/?action=view&current=CAPTURE.flv

Here's the vid link.

Bergwerk is a 3rd gear corner, who has said different ? And yeah my 'track experience' has taught me that. 5th gear is easily attainable along the previous straight. On the faster lap times I put in my gears were spot on thanks....it was only on that single occasion in the weekend where I missed the change.

I saw you guys pass us on the way home, your car sounds very nice. Did you catch an earlier ferry?

Dude, if you say it was a mistake, then fine, I'm taking your word for it. It just looked different from where we were, coming into the turn. I seriously thought you'd dropped second with a foot-full. Well done on the lap times. Maybe next trip we can spend a little bit more time as a group. It kinda felt like everybody was just doing there own thing. I was a little disappointed that none of the Germans took their supes out. I understand the guy in the Pink supra's situation. Kinda hard to shift with a handful of stitches up your wrist.

Jspec - on the video you'll see that the revs rise very fast when I hit 2nd, there is no way I'd treat my car like that intentionally.

The german guys were primarily there for the atmosphere and to see some of our UK Supra owners. I thought it was brilliant that they turned up and they had some very impressive cars.

Two of the German Supras had some engine problems (if I remember correctly), and the other one as you pointed out had an injury which would have made it difficult to drive well.

Good to meet you by the way Jspec, your car looked good on the track.

There's going to be some good shots/footage. Between Martin filming and the other assorted stuff we had. I know there's a DVD that's gonna' get distributed as well (Unedited footage, which is fine with me). I wish somebody got a shot of me passing the bus on the outside along the most watched section of the course.

I had a fantastic time, and Kate says she enjoyed herself too - I'm really pleased I went and would love to go back again next year.

There were highlights and lowlights of the trip for me - like Mike says it would have been good to do stuff together as 1 big group, but I guess that was complicated by us staying in 2 different hotels 3~4 miles apart. Maybe a point to note for next year? As far as the 'slide of doom' ;) that Aron pulled in front of me is concerned, I'm not in a position to comment on why/what/how/etc it all happened as I was understandably thinking more about how to remain uninvolved in it and any aftermath than I was looking at the technical detail of how it happened. Whatever did/didn't happen, the main thing is that it didn't end in tears for any of us and for that, I'm glad. :)

Moving on... It was excellent to meet everyone - both the few I'd met before and everyone else that I hadn't.

Tom - you're a top chap and you saved my bacon by having what must be God's finest oil with you - I shall pay you back in full for what I used. You're a top man, very genorous (you have a friend for life in Kate after you gave her that pack of lemon beer!) and your Aristo looked good both on & off the track; you have a car to be proud of and I don't think Kate will let me even consider getting anything else if I get a replacement 2nd car!

Lucy & Ian is there any need to say much here? You're both top, top people - we had such a laugh :) We shall have to meet up again soon especially seeing as you live so close! BTW Ian you must be a nutter if you thought that the 10:40 lap you did by following me was 'fast' and then you went out and managed to take a minute off that with your very next lap! :D Oh yeah - get those videos of me posted up ASAP ;)

Mike (JSpecGermany) - it was a shame you could only stay for part fo the trip but the weekend wouldn't have been the same without you mate. Thanks for the passenger laps, hope you enjoyed the lap in mine :) It was ace to meet you and your wife Carly especially after missing out on the opportunity on the Dragonball. BTW I think that you're right about your bufered speed signal odometer connection being suspect if the power steering doesn't weight up - that will/is likely to be why the delimiter doesn't work, too. Hope you get it sorted soon anyway buddy, but go steady when you do ;)

Aron - thanks for organising the trip, the info you provided was invaluable. The 'Ring has been an experience I won't forget and like I say I look forward to going back :) Watch those gears 'tho eh ;) Please pass on a 'hello' to the others staying at the Sonneck.

To everyone else who was staying at the Ringhaus (Tom please pass thison if they don't frequent this forum) - it was quality to meet you all and you made Kate and I feel right at home, especially in the bar, lol!! :D I'm sorry that the Rexs got damaged but it was great to see how philosophical you both wre about it - and to see you back out on track afterwards!! Respect is indeed, due.

And finally, to the guy who took me out in his Elise right at the end of our final full day at the track, I will never EVER forget that experience. I thought Elises were a bit pants but feck me they don't half handle when the driver knows what they're doing. Really, really awesome - that was the best way to finish the weekend off and my face hurt from smiling so much!

Once Kate has got our photos off her camera and I've stitched those that need stiching, I'll post them up in the pics thread - if anyone knows how we can get the video off her video camera, please advise! Oh and I'll email the chap at the bar who showed me he had photos of (I think!) each and every one of us going round, some of those were really excellent.

This post is long enough for now so I'll post again in a bit what it was like going round the track - but right now I need to eat!

Was indeed a top weekend and would like to thank everyone at the ringhaus for there hospitality including the owners anyone thinking of going to the ring I would highly recommend http://www.ringhaus.com . Again it was a shame that hotels where far apart.

Will be up for this again soon can't wait until the next trip :)

Photos attached - drastically reduced in size and quality so let me know if anyone wants them in full :)

(Video to follow probably in several weeks time once we work out how to get it onto a PC :rolleyes: !)

Where are everyone else's pics & videos?? :)

Edited to say - you can see the final section of the track track in the background of some of the pics; it appears from between the trees and runs dead straight alongside a public access road (with junction) that is just in front of it (i.e. nearer to the camera).

Group_1.jpg

Group_2.jpg

Group_3.jpg

A_stitched.jpg

B_stitched.jpg

SteveR - JSpecGermany - Ian R.jpg

Ian R - trip home from Dover.jpg