The Nurburgring Trip

AJI

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really glad to see you had a great time Steve.

On our way home we stopped off at Spa Francochamps and had a bit look round. Looks like a very impressive circuit. There was a bike trackday on at the time.

I mentioned eariler that we saw you guys pass us on the motorway and thought you were heading for an earlier ferry. We actually caught an earlier ferry ourselves, as we arrived to check-in in very good time, which would explain why we didn't see you guys if you caught the scheduled one.

Just thought I'd mention something about the two groups of cars at the different hotels. There seems to be a bit of displeasure about the fact that there is a "them and us" type of affair. (something that I was completely unaware of at the time - as nobody mentioned there was a problem to me.... if there was it would have been nice for somebody to say).

When I did the original "gauging interest for a nurburgring trip" thread last year there was a lot of names on the list. From this I then looked into how it was best to make it fair for everyone in terms of accommodation, ie. to not favour anyone in terms of specicfying which hotel they should stay at.

I therefore drew up plans in order that everyone made their own choice of accommodation. From the initial numbers on the list it would have been impossible to get everyone into the same hotel.

But as the new thread with the trip details appeared the list was dramatically shorter, but the plans had already been made and I stuck to them.

This was the reason for the resulting two groups of people in the different hotels on the trip.

As for the break up of the convoy en-route then I think everyone who was there knows how this happened. The second service stop we had resulted in one group of cars setting off before the rest of us and we never saw them again until we got to the track.

There were other factors throughout the weekend which lead me to believe that the two groups just wanted to do their own thing. So I didn't interfere and just let people get on with their weekend.

I didn't think it would be best to set out a complete list of times and rules by which everyone must be at a certain place by a certain time and do a certain thing etc. That would have been too restrictive for those people who just simply want to go out and learn the track and put in lots of laps. The plans for the trip have been up on this forum for months and months... there was ample time to read the format and plan more get togethers if you felt it was needed.

I thought the trip overall was a good success, myself and the group of cars that I came over with had a fantastic time. The weather was great, we got lots of laps in, the track wasn't closed for any long periods of time, and there was a great variety of other sportscar in and around the area which made for a great atmosphere.

I will gladly step down from organising any further Nurburgring events if any of you feel I've made a mistake on any of the planning.

aron,

I don't think you realise the implications of being told your not welcome on a photoshoot.

I know the Aristo is not a 'supra' but it is a hy-brid as such and most photoshoots it is welcomed. Same as we parked in the same area all weekend and you where happy to park in the track car park where there was not enough space. Just little things for the first 2 days, but the little things cause the issues.

Sending me and Ian R a text telling us 2 different locations for photo's for instance, on the one to me you advised to go to the car park, yet you arranged with every one else the grassed area, was that a deliberate ploy to send me elsewhere.

I admit there was loads there, but not meeting up for meals, nights etc would be strange and only further the them and us mentality.

Apart from that, for the 2 groups it was a great weekend.

I have special praise to Lucy for all the video's and photo's she took whilst I enjoyed myself driving the track.

Glad that Steve R and Kate enjoyed their time and look forward to seeing them both again soon.

Bring on JAE

there was ample time to read the format and plan more get togethers if you felt it was needed.

I will gladly step down from organising any further Nurburgring events if any of you feel I've made a mistake on any of the planning.

Aron,

you do a good job well in organising the event. No one is asking you to no longer arrange a nurburgring trip.

Just, the not meeting afterwards to swap stories seems a little strange mate, we where all there to have fun and enjoy, but at the end of each day we went home.

you printed out loads of stuff and then not once did we meet up for a chinwag and a laugh the whole time we where there on a night time, watch each others video's and have a laugh at each other.

All that is being suggested is that next year you try to bring every one together a little more.

Your mates all had a great time, but everyone else felt like we weren't a part of the group, that's all people are saying and asking for a group together next time.

I don't think there is 1 photo from Germany with the whole group on, either cars or people. And if you look at the photo's posted I feel sure you would agree.

Tom, at which point did I say you're not welcome on the photo shoot? I recall saying that I want to get a few shots of the Supras first, then you saying can I park the Aristo in front.... I then said ok, and after a few shots you then parked it infront just as you said. I had no problems with that at all, neither did anyone else.

The first shoot was unplanned as the German supras had to leave before the planned shoot at 4pm.

The pre-planned photoshoot at 4pm, none of you guys turned up. I saw a few of you come into the grassed area and turn round and leave as our cars were parked up.

And I definitely do not recall sending out any conflicting text messages to intentionally send people to different places in an attempt to not have any certain cars in the photo shoot.... and I am surprised you'd think I'd do such a thing to be honest.

Myself and the other guys did plenty of parking on the grassed area, when buying tickets its sometimes easier to park in the tarmac car park as it is closer to the ticket machine. It saves having to walk the extra distance in the heat.

At no point from myself or any of the guys I came down with did we have the attitude of a 'them and us' line of thought.

From a number of factors throughout the trip as I've already mentioned I was under the impression that you guys wanted to do your own thing.... (this is not a them and us way of thinking as that suggests some form of rivalry.... I was just letting you guys have your own space without any interference).

I am really sorry you are feeling this way Tom. Why didn't you say anything if you guys were feeling some sort of divide between the groups? Why leave it until now, after the trip?

Tom, at which point did I say you're not welcome on the photo shoot? I recall saying that I want to get a few shots of the Supras first, then you saying can I park the Aristo in front.... I then said ok, and after a few shots you then parked it infront just as you said. I had no problems with that at all, neither did anyone else.

photo's where of Supra's only, your exact words mate. I went to the garage to get some drinks, and parked in front beside my mates cars.

And I definitely do not recall sending out any conflicting text messages to intentionally send people to different places in an attempt to not have any certain cars in the photo shoot.... and I am surprised you'd think I'd do such a thing to be honest.

I asked the question but did read both texts..................

My only advice is put this to bed, I will be going to the ring next year and it may be the same time as you, but it will be with the friends I have made this year and will continue to make in the future such as the UK clubs we met whilst out there.

photo's where of Supra's only, your exact words mate. I went to the garage to get some drinks, and parked in front beside my mates cars.

And then you parked in front of the Supras as you said you would. There was no problmes with that.

I asked the question but did read both texts..................

Then you most definitely mis-interperated them... because I am not like that, I would never have sent one car to one place and another car to another place with the intention of causing one guy to not be in the photo shoot, or not part of the group.

My only advice is put this to bed, I will be going to the ring next year and it may be the same time as you, but it will be with the friends I have made this year and will continue to make in the future such as the UK clubs we met whilst out there.

As already said, I'm truely sorry you feel this way.... you're a guy who states what's on his mind, I'm surprised you didn't mention anything to me at the track or by text whilst on the trip.

Hey guys out there,

the "german photos" will follow within the next few days. Have had some trouble with my laptop so wasnt able to do it earlier.

@Jspec Germany

You asked why the german guys didnt go racing. Well, Mike is injured (as you mentioned). Whe wanted to go but it would have been to dangerous. Mark (the one with the havanna-brown-supra) told me that he loves to go out with someone else but he is not used to racing tracks like Nordschleife and he doesnt want to crash the car as you can imagine ;)

Sascha (the one with the green-grey-and so on colored Supra :D ) have had some engine problems after upgrading the new Singleturbo. So he has to take care about the engine and drive a little bit slowlier for the first 1.000 km. And as you also can imagine on a race track you dont wanna go slow :D

Anyway, most of the german Supradrivers very rarely drive on the Nordschleife. I would love if they would do but, hey, thats their decission.

If you guys would like to we can plan something for the next year. I allready told Aron about a trip to the Nürburgring called RINGKORSO.

This is a promotionevent for Toyota. This year we will be at the 1.000 km Race and between the races we will go on the Grand Prix Track with nearly 200 cars. The Nordschleife will also be oppened. On that event most of the "crazy german drivers" are there as well :D

If we can figure something out for the next year then you will see a lot of german racing ;)

There are some videos of german Supras on the following websites:

http://www.mkiv.de

If you are interested feel free to check it out ;)

I cant believe so few members went on this trip. I personally dont think you can ever truly experience the spirited driving of you Supra properly anywhere else in the world like this you can @ this place.

Dangerous? I feel much safer on the ring than I do on a public road, at least we all go the same direction lol.

I cant believe so few members went on this trip. I personally dont think you can ever truly experience the spirited driving of you Supra properly anywhere else in the world like this you can @ this place.

Dangerous? I feel much safer on the ring than I do on a public road, at least we all go the same direction lol.

Darling that´s usual for a crazy irish like you are :D :D :D Looking forward to the last weekend in July ;)

Hughs

crazy German

No worries Honey. I found out later that the other two guys didn't want to drive because of the engine trouble. I understand. Next time I go in August, maybe they can come back out and we'll go out together. When is the next meet and when is RINGKORSO? I am only an hour-twenty north from the Ring, so I will go whenever you and your friends are going.

No worries Honey. I found out later that the other two guys didn't want to drive because of the engine trouble. I understand. Next time I go in August, maybe they can come back out and we'll go out together. When is the next meet and when is RINGKORSO? I am only an hour-twenty north from the Ring, so I will go whenever you and your friends are going.

Ahhh this is quite interesting!!! The Ringkorso will be on the 16.07.2006 but we all will meet up on the 15.07.2006 and have Party the night before. Of course we wanna do some laps as well..... Well, I wanna do I just need somebody to pick me up for the racing :D

I will send you more details about it later on. There will be a lot of Supradrivers as fare as I know. I´ll go ahead and check it.

We will see what happens in August. I dont have the dates for our official meets in August right know. But I have to drive such a long way to the Nürburgring so I dont know if I can make it again in August. I´ll do my best. If I will come then of course not with other Supradrivers ;) We will see what I can figure out! Please let me know the exact day you will be there again.

Or if we will meet up at Ringkorso we can plan with the other guys either!

Would be great if you can meet up with us @ Ringkorso!

Cheers

Katrin

Ringkorso should be an big german suprameet!

and i don´t drive on the ring because the 6 speed lhd supras in germany are so expensive!:innocent:

because of this

http://www.toyota-carina.de/ring/ring05.JPG

or that

http://www.toyota-carina.de/ring/ring01.JPG

JaMoCo - I couldn't believe how expensive Supras are in Germany when you guys were telling me.

What was it for an average 6-speed TT? Did you say around 25,000euros? (£18,000 area). That's a good £5000 (about 7000euros) more expensive than over here in the UK!

I can see why you want to keep your cars away from any possible barrier impacts.

Sometimes until 40.000 €!!! But they are tuned up then ;) Its a horrible price over here. Good for those people who own allready one of those great cars... For me its sh***! So I will fly to England or Northern Ireland buy one and drive back to Germany :D some time

Guest SupraNikolai

well i just got done touring all through germany; Frankfurt, Bonn, Nurburgring Race Track, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Regensberg and Kall. im BEAT but stil here in europe with my dad at his hosue in Vienna.

once again would like to say thanx to all the guys i met at the meet. wish u guys could fly to the other side of the pond and hang out iwth me and the other Us guys at Supras Invade Las Vegas. easily will be one of the best times ull ever have. :)

anyway special thanx to Tom for the ride around the ring in his Aristo. i also got a ride in the Dodge Viper which was totally NUCKIN FUTS!!! :cool: i mean i push my car in the states pretty hard in the canyons as well as riden with a few cray fast cars in my time but this tops them all!!!

i have a ridiculous amount of phots and video fomr the day at the track including me driving my dads Passat around the ring and getting passed by almost everything. i say almost because i at least passed one slow motorcycle and some grandpa behind thw heel. nevertheless and AWESOME TIME. already planning a trip back here next summer.

so here ar the pics. a few of me in the viper and a few others snaps i got.

the picture of the air freshner here makes my dad laugh...

here´s a good one of Tom!

Here we go...

All pics are available in better quality and size. Write me a PN and I´ll send it to you by eMail ;)

Doing some work before going (as usual :D )

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p33420f676e398414abbfd6473af1e976/ee2c49d7.jpg

We arrive with these two cars on saturday morning

BlueW

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p4db7807b9771bb1646e55235bef2eed4/ee2c3f18.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/pb57ea7a661985374e7accb1cd6e7f1ff/ee2c3dc9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/pf139dce7ed8a1f34a6b126ad69bc6b88/ee2c3cc4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p37d8346abd4d55dba5fa42e84e3bb4a5/ee2c37a1.jpg

MikeB

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p3c2630086011c9f4def02e4549ba5b1b/ee2c3a1c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid209/p344acaf0553becc3688a7ff33aedf792/ee2c38ac.jpg