The mkiv Supra Owners Club

STOLEN

Uzair

Hi All,

I'm unsure where to post this and I'm hoping I can get some help. 

My Supra was stolen yesterday evening from a garage in Grewelthorpe / Harrogate. It's a comprehensively built, clean example. I've received help from several of my fellow enthusiasts here over the years to help me with the build. David P, Darren / Wile Coyote, Eamon Kearney, Keron to name a few. 

I'm absolutely gutted and an emotional wreck. Unable to be a man about it and take it on the chin. 

The registration is M167 DRK. I'm attaching some photos of the car. If you come across anyone selling a Supra for parts or breaking one, please check to see the background of the car if that is at all possible. The speedometer is quite unique, picture attached for reference. 

Any help will be highly appreciated. 

Thanking you all.

My kindest regards,

Uzair

20200314_125901-01.jpeg

202003272121356533468462218-01.jpeg

202004192271057128260482020.jpg

• Sad 1

It was at a garage for a new steering rack. The work had been completed and I was due to collect it on Saturday 28th. I'm absolutely broken. 

Thank you, I'm not on Facebook (yep, I've been Facebook clean for 10 years)  but I'll get my Mrs to post it for me. 

I would get on Facebook and Instagram now posting this to the Supra owners groups and car clubs in the UK asking to repost this around on their accounts and to contact you if any info is found - GT TUNERS CLUB, MKIV SUPRA OWNERS CLUB, JAP PARTS FOR SALE GROUPS, YOUR AREAS LOCAL CAR MEET GROUPS etc to keep an eye on seeing your Supra to try follow its whereabouts if its spotted and encourage them to leave the car somewhere as it will raise their risk to continue with it!

Thank you, Mitch.

Just a little update, I received a phone call from the officer investigating this, and he said they had an ANPR hit on the pick-up truck and trailer that took my car. The ANPR hit was in Merseyside. That's a fair distance from Grewelthorpe! They believe the car is being shipped to a 'customer'. Let's see how this unfolds. 

The insurance company is being difficult. I'm insured with Footman James with the underwriters being Ageas Insurance. They've said they have to wait six months for stolen vehicles before they can deliberate and / or settle claim. I don't think they will payout... I don't have faith in the system... I feel insurance companies are a mafia, robbing people of their hard earned income under the pretence of essential legal cover. 

• Sad 1

Shouldn't the garage that was working on your car, who had custody of your vehicle as a Bailee, be claiming on their insurnace?

Also according to the Citizens Advice Bureau website, the FCA rules mandate that insurance companies have to have settled the claim or have made a reasonable offer on the loss of the vehicle within 3 months.

CAB Advice

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

My apologies, I've been away for work and have only just returned to the sunny UK. 

I'm afraid I don't have any updates at all. The insurance company is quiet, I've spoken to them this morning and they're adamant they will wait 6 months before deliberating and also that the police investigation is still open. I did quote the FCA rules but they said that my car was stolen under 'extenuating circumstances' and exempted from the guideline. I think this is BS and I'm going to look into this and compile a strong argument. 

Spoke to the police officer dealing with the case and he's confident the car is no longer in the country. However, they're still carrying out searches but have no further updates than the previous ping in Merseyside. 

The garage's insurers are waiting on my insurers to deliberate, apparently. 

It's extremely frustrating!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all 

I trust everyone had a lovely Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy New Year. 

After some constant back and forth with the insurers, I received a settlement offer yesterday which I accepted. And earlier today, I had the monies hit my account.

They have written the car off as total loss and compensated me with £35,000, which is actually quite good and I'm happy with. 

Footman James and Ageas, both extended their apologies for the inconvenience and reassured me this was an isolated instance given the complex circumstances of the theft.

So a late Christmas present and a positive outcome to a horrendous ordeal. 

I have already bought another Supra, which was owned by another member here. It is in quite a decent nick and I fully intend to keep it that way. 

I will, of course, share some pictures as soon as I'm able and weather permitting. For now, it is tucked away in my garage, under covers, with the immobiliser and tracker active! Never having another car without a tracker! 

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your help and support. I would not have been able to follow this through had it not been for you guys. 

Also, has anyone heard or spoken to David P lately? I cannot seem to get through to him. Just want to check-in with him as he was quite unwell the last time I spoke to him. 

Much love and respect to you all.

My kindest regards,

Uzair

• Like 6

On 12/28/2023 at 11:08 PM, Uzair said:

Hello all 

I trust everyone had a lovely Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy New Year. 

After some constant back and forth with the insurers, I received a settlement offer yesterday which I accepted. And earlier today, I had the monies hit my account.

They have written the car off as total loss and compensated me with £35,000, which is actually quite good and I'm happy with. 

Footman James and Ageas, both extended their apologies for the inconvenience and reassured me this was an isolated instance given the complex circumstances of the theft.

So a late Christmas present and a positive outcome to a horrendous ordeal. 

I have already bought another Supra, which was owned by another member here. It is in quite a decent nick and I fully intend to keep it that way. 

I will, of course, share some pictures as soon as I'm able and weather permitting. For now, it is tucked away in my garage, under covers, with the immobiliser and tracker active! Never having another car without a tracker! 

Thank you so much, everyone, for all your help and support. I would not have been able to follow this through had it not been for you guys. 

Also, has anyone heard or spoken to David P lately? I cannot seem to get through to him. Just want to check-in with him as he was quite unwell the last time I spoke to him. 

Much love and respect to you all.

My kindest regards,

Uzair

Happy to hear you're in another supra already! Look forward to seeing what you've got now!

7 hours ago, wile e coyote said:

Glad all settled and your in another supra

Also tracker is a must now days

When mine was being trailed around, the company would call asking if the car was safe within minutes of it moving without its engine on

I’d imagine more insurance companies will start to want this as well as being garaged when not being used.

• Like 1

The problem with trackers, the monitored kind, is they do tend to cost quite a bit to install and then have an annual subscription charge. 

I was told three years ago that most insurers require any car valued at more than £50k have a tracker fitted and operating. My Supra is agreed value covered for more than that so maybe that limit has been raised since I last discussed it with a broker/insurer.

I personally wouldn't want to pay for a tracker to recover a car, if my Supra ever was stolen I'd prefer to not see it again and just receive the pay-out. I've had a stolen and recovered car in the past and with the changes to the car from before theft to after recovery I'd have strongly preferred if it had not been recovered.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rider said:

The problem with trackers, the monitored kind, is they do tend to cost quite a bit to install and then have an annual subscription charge. 

I was told three years ago that most insurers require any car valued at more than £50k have a tracker fitted and operating. My Supra is agreed value covered for more than that so maybe that limit has been raised since I last discussed it with a broker/insurer.

I personally wouldn't want to pay for a tracker to recover a car, if my Supra ever was stolen I'd prefer to not see it again and just receive the pay-out. I've had a stolen and recovered car in the past and with the changes to the car from before theft to after recovery I'd have strongly preferred if it had not been recovered.

Completely agree unless it had sentimental value.

1 hour ago, rider said:

Interestingly when I insured my supra (£35k value), they didn't even require an alarm to be installed! I have fitted one anyway though.

Just now, Homer said:

Interestingly when I insured my supra (£35k value), they didn't even require an alarm to be installed! I have fitted one anyway though.

Are you trying to insinuate that insurance companies just make things up as they go along and there isn’t a logic to their pricing 😬

• Haha 2