The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What would you do?

Supra-Power

My UK auto supra blew up a couple of years ago.

I'm now in the process of getting it sorted so I'll be short and sweet. What would you do,...

I was happy with the power, stage two hybrid turbo (many years ago) was around 450bhp. As it's a full engine rebuild would you go stroker kit? And what and ecu and turbos,.... It's either a turbo rebuild or single? I used to be crazy into supras and I've had my Supra for 18 years but totally lost touch with what is going on now.

Sensible suggestions as I'm a tight! 😁 Seriously though, I believe in doing the job right and using quality gear.

I think we need to understad what you mean by Blown up. have the turbos let go ? the bottom end ? the rings ? 

To be honest, depending on what it is I would go for rebuilt turbos from Midland and then an exchange new bottom end from Toyota UK.  I would then add a new water pump and oil pump and give the head refresh. 

Currently the turbos could be upto £1k for both to be rebuilt and exchange short blocks are £3.5k roughly. plus the other bits if doing the work yourself £7.5k roughly or you could give it to someone like SRD. 

1 hour ago, Frank Bullitt said:

Are the cylinder walls scored?

Why fit a stroker kit, what are your goals with the car?

Can anyone in the UK line bore a six cylinder without turning your engine into an expensive paperweight?

Cylinder and pistons aren't too bad but I need a new crank shaft and whilst everything is accessible is rather put fresh parts in. 

For a new crank, a stroker kit crank from whifbitz isn't a lot more than a Toyota one... 

Like I said in my original post,.. I was happy with 450bhp but just wandered what people would do knowing they have a full engine rebuild in front of them.

4 minutes ago, Supra-Power said:

Cylinder and pistons aren't too bad but I need a new crank shaft and whilst everything is accessible is rather put fresh parts in. 

For a new crank, a stroker kit crank from whifbitz isn't a lot more than a Toyota one... 

Like I said in my original post,.. I was happy with 450bhp but just wandered what people would do knowing they have a full engine rebuild in front of them.

What’s not too bad? Do you need to increase piston diameter? Any photos? 

How big is the budget?

A stroker kit ain’t cheap, neither is the machine work.

You can play with piston sizes, compression, billet crank, 3.1, 3.2, 3.4 & 3.6

Do you want big power later on? If yes, how much?

5 minutes ago, Frank Bullitt said:

What’s not too bad? Do you need to increase piston diameter? Any photos? 

How big is the budget?

A stroker kit ain’t cheap, neither is the machine work.

You can play with piston sizes, compression, billet crank, 3.1, 3.2, 3.4 & 3.6

Do you want big power later on? If yes, how much?

No photos I'm afraid. 

I was looking around £10,000 but I know things always get carried away.

Billet crank is about £500 more than a new Toyota crank. But if the machine work is crazy money then obviously it all gets taken into consideration.

I not after anything more than 500bhp 

25 minutes ago, Supra-Power said:

No photos I'm afraid. 

I was looking around £10,000 but I know things always get carried away.

Billet crank is about £500 more than a new Toyota crank. But if the machine work is crazy money then obviously it all gets taken into consideration.

I not after anything more than 500bhp 

Do you need to increase piston diameter from stock or can you stay at 86mm?

Forget a stroker.

I think. Ignoring all good common sense, you should do the world a favour and build a 3.4 stroker motor with hybrid twin just for shits and giggles. Can't say I've ever seen that combo before. I'm not even sure on the end result to be fair, other than the response should be fairly epic. 

Worse case scenario and the twins don't gel well with a stroker, you can just bang on a single and continue on with life

Edited by Mike2JZ (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Don't forget 3.5 setup is available too. Titan even do bottom ends to order. Post you a build block for £8k ish.

Hybrids on a stroker of any kind be awesome.

87mm biggest most people recommend you can go @Frank Bullitt.

Until someone machines billet head and block with wider port spacing. Pistons aren't going to get any bigger.

On 11/22/2021 at 7:55 PM, Supra-Power said:

How badly scored is your crank?

Roland Alsop (http://www.rolandalsop.com/) did a great job doing all my machining work, including line boring Titan billet main caps. Cost me about £1000 for rebore block to 86.5. Gap piston rings, balance pistons and rods, polish crank, balance whole rotating assembly etc. They are also very knowledgable.

Why not see if you can get the scoring ground out of the stock crank and fit oversize bearings if you are happy with around 500 bhp?

I rebuilt my engine to be capable of over 1000hp and it's not cheap to do

On 11/22/2021 at 8:15 AM, Supra-Power said:

My UK auto supra blew up a couple of years ago.

I'm now in the process of getting it sorted so I'll be short and sweet. What would you do,...

I was happy with the power, stage two hybrid turbo (many years ago) was around 450bhp. As it's a full engine rebuild would you go stroker kit? And what and ecu and turbos,.... It's either a turbo rebuild or single? I used to be crazy into supras and I've had my Supra for 18 years but totally lost touch with what is going on now.

Sensible suggestions as I'm a tight! 😁 Seriously though, I believe in doing the job right and using quality gear.

I guess the car is not a daily? There have been instances of people upgrading power and falling out of love with their car due to losing some of the drivability the stock system / hybrids gives plus the added noise depending on what you change (clutch rattle, brakes noise etc). Have your ever driven or been in a single turbo car? Not everyone can get on with them so be sure that you can live with the different setup.

A lot has changed in 18 years, values have sky rocketed and OEM parts become ever rarer! If you ever want to go back to stock, I would keep any parts that come off the car as it's most likely you won't be able to get them soon and the second hand market has already gone bananas. 

• 2 weeks later...