The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyres

Dnk

21 minutes ago, tayr said:

My partners got them on her SLK if that helps.. Seem decent enough but then again it's only 200hp or something

These are for my 330ci convertible so not huge power, i was more interested in the wet braking ability 

say if you have to do an emergency stop.

Some tyres have shockingly long wet braking distance compared to others, the Hancook Ventus was 8 metres more than the G/Y Eagle F1 

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-UHP-Tyre-Test.htm

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, Dnk said:

I'm looking at a set of Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 now 

225 40 18 & 255 35 18 for £390 on Tyreleader

Came first overall 

Can't say I have done much wet weather driving on them but they are a very grippy tyre on the supra, never had any issues with them and they hold up pretty well when pushing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Can't say I have done much wet weather driving on them but they are a very grippy tyre on the supra, never had any issues with them and they hold up pretty well when pushing it.

Cheers Mike. I shall order up a set after we have finished fitting the Eibach pro kit and rear calipers tomorrow

12 hours ago, Dnk said:

These are for my 330ci convertible so not huge power, i was more interested in the wet braking ability 

say if you have to do an emergency stop.

Some tyres have shockingly long wet braking distance compared to others, the Hancook Ventus was 8 metres more than the G/Y Eagle F1 

Eagle F1's are pretty good, I've had them for years on my daily and the Supra. Got a good deal on Michelin PS4's last year and in the wet (accelerating and braking) they were a noticeably better than the GY's. But in the dry it's marginal, both are good when warm and they hook, F1's were more comfortable and quieter. I've had consistent results across various 18" tyre sizes 225/235/245/255/275 and 285 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AC93 said:

Eagle F1's are pretty good, I've had them for years on my daily and the Supra. Got a good deal on Michelin PS4's last year and in the wet (accelerating and braking) they were a noticeably better than the GY's. But in the dry it's marginal, both are good when warm and they hook, F1's were more comfortable and quieter. I've had consistent results across various 18" tyre sizes 225/235/245/255/275 and 285 

Did you get decent mileage out of the Good Years ? 

18 hours ago, Tyson said:

What kind of mileage are you getting out of them Mike 

5 hours ago, Dnk said:

What kind of mileage are you getting out of them Mike 

Considering the driving they were subjected to then I think they did pretty well for a performance tyre. However I don't remember exactly how many miles they did before I changed them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Noz said:

How'd you get 640. I thought was 15%.

I've got 525whp. Why I'm so curious.

Different dyno tho

I just use this https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php comes out pretty accurate. It was always said on here that it was 25% loss for autos, and 18% for manuals, but tbh it’s all about the rear wheel horsepower figure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noz said:

Most people don't understand that though.

Wish bhp was never invented. Whp should be the gold standard.

Yeah I agree, but I like to use that converter so it puts it in my mind how it compares to Supra's I've known in the past, I'm VERY happy with the figure tbh! The main reason of the day was to check the setup since I went FMIC, and so glad I did and spent the money on an ETS, the IAT's actually drop to ambient when under full boost hahaha You won't see that on a cheap FMIC 😉

It has done a 550rwhp on a previous run, and Mike reckons we could have gone for 600rwhp, but I'll want to change to a built box before set it at those figures, I'm really pushing the poor autobox as it is 😕

47 minutes ago, Burna said:

Yeah I agree, but I like to use that converter so it puts it in my mind how it compares to Supra's I've known in the past, I'm VERY happy with the figure tbh! The main reason of the day was to check the setup since I went FMIC, and so glad I did and spent the money on an ETS, the IAT's actually drop to ambient when under full boost hahaha You won't see that on a cheap FMIC 😉

It has done a 550rwhp on a previous run, and Mike reckons we could have gone for 600rwhp, but I'll want to change to a built box before set it at those figures, I'm really pushing the poor autobox as it is

As soon as you started talking about temps dropping I knew Mike mapped it 🤣

He always gives people so much feedback. Top guy.

Better safe than sorry mate. Good choice.

I've seen ambient temps on a cheap cooler with 400hp. But it's never gonna happen with 600hp mate. I've a 4 inch ets. No idea when it'll start holding me back. Not for a while I guess!

What's your end goal mate 

11 hours ago, Annabella said:

Think the landsail rolling resistance win is because it hardly grips the road! 😉

The Vredestein Vorti R has the highest rolling resistance but not the best wet braking so 

other factors involved such as the design of the tread pattern and how it clears water 

The Potenza sport looks to have wet braking and handling sorted, you'd think it would

win the straight aqua test but doesn't quite top the list, how does the Falken come second when 

its 7th in wet braking and wet handling ? 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Dnk said:

The Vredestein Vorti R has the highest rolling resistance but not the best wet braking so 

other factors involved such as the design of the tread pattern and how it clears water 

The Potenza sport looks to have wet braking and handling sorted, you'd think it would

win the straight aqua test but doesn't quite top the list, how does the Falken come second when 

its 7th in wet braking and wet handling ? 

Because aquaplaning and wet breaking are strangely the opposite!

Aquaplaning needs lots of grooves to disperse the water effectively and wet braking needs less so it has a bigger contact patch with the tarmac. Obviously it still needs some grooves as you wouldn't stop very well on slicks 😄