The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quiet exhaust for circa 1000hp

bayside_supra

Hi guys

Supra now has a 4" downpipe and Whifbitz 4" single box exhaust. I love the sound but I do not think the neighbours do so might go quieter for the first time ever.

Is there a 4" exhaust system out there which is a little quieter whilst being as free flowing as the system I have now? Or am I better off getting a silencer installed in my current exhaust? Or are you always going to lose some power with more silencers no matter what?

I was exploring getting a valve installed, as I only need to quiet it down for starting in the morning and parking in the garage at night. But good quality valves only seem to go up to 3"....

Anyone got a really fast Supra that is not crazy loud? 

1 hour ago, Luxluc said:

I had the same issue with my old house ... too many neighbors.

I put the silencer in the morning, and removed it when I had left my neighborhood (after 1 ml)

This is an option, do the baffles make a big difference? I am also conscious of back pressure, currently running in a new engine so do not want to cause any problems there. Baffle in for the first part of a journey and pop back in up the road is something i could do if it will not strain the engine at all?

2 minutes ago, bayside_supra said:

This is an option, do the baffles make a big difference? I am also conscious of back pressure, currently running in a new engine so do not want to cause any problems there. Baffle in for the first part of a journey and pop back in up the road is something i could do if it will not strain the engine at all?

I always drove off boost for the 1st ml, removed the baffle and drove normally.

No prob for the engine.

Lee even tried with my Supra on the dyno at low boost with the baffle in ; no issue ... Syvecs controls

1 hour ago, Luxluc said:

I always drove off boost for the 1st ml, removed the baffle and drove normally.

No prob for the engine.

Lee even tried with my Supra on the dyno at low boost with the baffle in ; no issue ... Syvecs controls

Thats good to hear, even on cold start? No potential issues? This could be the answer. Could just get a new rear box made up that takes a baffle..

Does it make a big difference to the noise level? Sounds naughty now but the cold start could wake the dead!

Edited by bayside_supra (see edit history)

11 hours ago, bayside_supra said:

Thats good to hear, even on cold start? No potential issues? This could be the answer. Could just get a new rear box made up that takes a baffle..

Does it make a big difference to the noise level? Sounds naughty now but the cold start could wake the dead!

Baffle made a huge difference on my 4" Ti

2 hours ago, mattdavies said:

Whifbitz do a 4" twin box which i believe may quieten it down slightly. You could always have a box put in yours. 

There is a build thread of DanDan's car on here where he had the 3" tanabe modified, it was 4" till the cut out then was 3" with the cutout. 

Will a box affect flow? Even slightly?

I’ll have a look at that car

I can recommend fitting an exhaust control valve. I have a 4inch apexi. Manual cable. Think it's one of the best modifications to the car.

Installed it in the mid pipe.

I have a 4inch down/midpipe and 4.5inch exhaust. Pulling it closed makes a huge amount of difference. Hardly boosts due to reduce flow.

I fit it due to neighbours and also if I'm out late.

Straight pipe with only a backbox. Could always use this idea as a backup if you don't like the end result on the new system.

At 60mph I can hardly hear my own exhaust and I've no interior currently to deaden sound.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

23 minutes ago, bayside_supra said:

Will a box affect flow? Even slightly?

I’ll have a look at that car

I am not an engineer nor an exhaust expert, i have looked at the internal area difference between 3", 3.5" and 4" exhausts and its a large difference. 

At a guess if it does affect flow you are probably talking single digit BHP & ft/lb if you look at Dandan's thread you will see the difference his exhaust made. 

This does all presume you are going for a straight through perforated style muffler. 

35 minutes ago, Noz said:

I can recommend fitting an exhaust control valve. I have a 4inch apexi. Manual cable. Think it's one of the best modifications to the car.

Installed it in the mid pipe.

I have a 4inch down/midpipe and 4.5inch exhaust. Pulling it closed makes a huge amount of difference. Hardly boosts due to reduce flow.

I fit it due to neighbours and also if I'm out late.

Straight pipe with only a backbox. Could always use this idea as a backup if you don't like the end result on the new system.

At 60mph I can hardly hear my own exhaust and I've no interior currently to deaden sound.

Hello mate, do you have a link to the valve you got itself? Or the brand etc? 

38 minutes ago, mattdavies said:

I am not an engineer nor an exhaust expert, i have looked at the internal area difference between 3", 3.5" and 4" exhausts and its a large difference. 

At a guess if it does affect flow you are probably talking single digit BHP & ft/lb if you look at Dandan's thread you will see the difference his exhaust made. 

This does all presume you are going for a straight through perforated style muffler. 

Thanks mate I better have a look through that thread

22 hours ago, bayside_supra said:

Is the Tanabe a 4" system?

No it's slightly larger than 3". However in combination with the cutout you have minimal backpressure. Several 1000hp Supras are using this setup.

A 4" inch will never be quiet, even the twin boxes from Whifbitz aren't. 

I fitted a baffle. In my 4” single box exhaust. It make it a lot quieter. It sounds shit with baffle in. But that not what it’s for. The difference in spool is massive with the baffle in place. Spools a lot later. Meaning its very restrictive. But I only drive off boost. Or very low boost with the baffle in place. 

16 hours ago, Mgrene said:

Can you adjust how much the valve is closing when you pull the lever?

In other words, is there a risk that the valve will close completely when you pull the lever fully?

No. There's a strong spring forcing it open. You overcome the force to close it. You can close it different stages.

At idle it doesn't change the tone much. But I found on drive when closed its more responsive yet massively down on power.

I think you'd struggle to WOT then lean down while still steering and force it closed to do any damage. As it wouldn't close on its own.

Mild throttle is the best noise reduction. As you crawl past houses for example you can adjust the throttle to balance the lowest noise. As at idle the noise reduction seems negligible.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

No. There's a strong spring forcing it open. You overcome the force to close it. You can close it different stages.

At idle it doesn't change the tone much. But I found on drive when closed its more responsive yet massively down on power.

I think you'd struggle to WOT then lean down while still steering and force it closed to do any damage. As it wouldn't close on its own.

Mild throttle is the best noise reduction. As you crawl past houses for example you can adjust the throttle to balance the lowest noise. As at idle the noise reduction seems negligible.

Noted.
My real concern is back pressure and the consequence of having too much back pressure. Both while driving carefully in house areas but also on longer trips on highways doing let's say 90 mph and then want to tune down the noise a bit by restricting the flow. Not sure how the engine would react to that.

I have actually bought a brand new 4" Varex muffler with built-in valve adjustment, however, the muffler is simply to big to be installed anywhere (unless I'm willing to replace it instead of my existing muffler which I'm not). Instead the plan was to install it as a noise canceller somewhere on the midpipe.

I looked up the Apexi valve, is it just me (maybe I'm blind) but on the homepage, the biggest one they got is 95mm pipe diameter?
My 4" system from whifbitz measure 110mm in inner diameter.