The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharging my V8 - Will be pic heavy

J-Meiser

Hello everyone!

I know that I've been rather quiet for a while and there's been a good reason for it - as stated in the title, I will (finally) be supercharging my 1UZ!

I've been researching, planning and acquiring parts for this for a few years now and in that time I've been um-ing and ar-ing over whether to actually go ahead with it or whether to go with a 3UZ or not, as well as moving house and having to deal with the loss of family and friends. However, I knew that I wanted a bit more power so during that time, I've been carrying out upgrades to the power train and braking system in preparation - full list of mods can be seen in my garage or by clicking on this link here :). It hasn't all been plain sailing though; I've had brake lines and fuel lines fail due to corrosion, gearboxes give up the ghost, engine mounts and coolant pipes split and fail, electrical gremlins and parts not arrive - all the usual fun and games :rolleyes:.

Updates to this thread/project will be sporadic but I'll try and post updates as soon as I'm able to :thumbs:. I'll be taking lots of pictures and I also plan to do a video-series and put that on my YouTube channel for those who would rather watch :). I don't have any pics at the moment, but I will put up a video of highlights from today's drive for comparison for when I eventually finish this NA to Supercharged conversion.

I'll get the video up as soon as I can :).

A little bit of history...

I bought a M112 supercharger from a Jag XKS back in 2016. The M112 from the Ford Mustang SVT is a far more popular option but at the time, but I found that type of supercharger was quite tricky to get hold at the time, so I went with the Jag supercharger.

https://old.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=525631&stc=1&d=1603226659

I reached out to a gentleman named Chuck in Canada about a low-profile inlet manifold. One of the things that I really wanted with this was to be able to continue using my stock bonnet with the supercharger. He had never worked with a Jag supercharger before, so getting him accurate dimensions was a challenge but in early 2017 a package containing a low profile manifold and custom inlet (amongst other things) arrived from Canada. I placed the bits together to get an idea of how it should look.

https://old.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=525632&stc=1&d=1603226741

In 2018, after I put my engine and gearbox back in after doing some work on the gearbox, I decided to try and test fit the manifold and supercharger; again, just to get an idea of how it will all go together. I didn't have the manifold seated properly as it was a spur of the moment test and my primary focus was to fit the modified front water bridge.

https://old.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=525633&stc=1&d=1603226792

For a mock fitting, I was quite happy overall, but my concern was the length - I was not sure that everything behind the supercharger will sit comfortably with the supercharger fitted. So earlier this year, I was able to get hold of a M112 from a Ford Mustang SVT. Now, this one has a shorter snout but it's a taller supercharger.

https://old.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=525634&stc=1&d=1603226976

https://old.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=525635&stc=1&d=1603227036

I'm yet to carry out a test fitting with the Ford M112, but I will give it a go when I get the manifold seated and decide which one I will go with. Whichever supercharger I go with, I will clean it up before I fit it ;).

WP_20160918_14_29_08_Pro.jpg

IMG_20170903_163456.jpg

IMG_20180715_123920.jpg

20201020_114952.jpg

Supercharger Fronts.jpg

Looking good j! What size pulley are you going with in the jag SC ?

Thanks Paul! I'm looking to keep the stock 2.9" pulley for now. However, the Ford M112 I have does come with a quick-change pulley, so I may well swap the pullies over, once I've made my decision.

I'm sure that I've got a pic of the manifold without the top plate saved somewhere - if I haven't I'll take one when I get the manifold out :thumbs:

I must say your original V8 swap thread has been a big help to me and I'm sure this one will be too (in a few years).

I'm really glad that you've found it useful :)! The whole point of it was to help others out so if it's done that, I'm happy :yahoo:.

Hopefully, this will be useful too - as long as I can get everything working :think:

Thanks Paul! I'm looking to keep the stock 2.9" pulley for now. However, the Ford M112 I have does come with a quick-change pulley, so I may well swap the pullies over, once I've made my decision.

I'm sure that I've got a pic of the manifold without the top plate saved somewhere - if I haven't I'll take one when I get the manifold out :thumbs:

That would be great, interested to see how its been done

Im waiting on a zaaz low mount to come into stock or i may go with the elate low mount.

I was looking at a thread on lexteme and with our standard crank pully a 2.9" pulley woupd make 10psi boost. Are you planning on having it mapped ? Any cooling ?

[quote name='Hammer']Interesting stuff. I'm looking forward to the updates. Nice to see something different.[/QUOTE] Thank you! This is certainly something that we're going to see very often on here, so hopefully everyone will enjoy seeing something a bit different .

[quote name='Paul 887']That would be great, interested to see how its been done Im waiting on a zaaz low mount to come into stock or i may go with the elate low mount. I was looking at a thread on lexteme and with our standard crank pully a 2.9" pulley woupd make 10psi boost. Are you planning on having it mapped ? Any cooling ?[/QUOTE] I've not been able to find one yet - I'm sure that I have one saved on my server somewhere. I will get one put up! I must admit that I've never heard of Zaaz - are they a new "outfit"? Elate I am aware of, but when I was looking they only sold their high mount manifold, so I wasn't able to consider them at the time. If they've now started doing low-mount manifolds then that's good to know! I re-read my previous reply and realised that I didn't do a get good job, so I do apologise and I'll answer it a bit better this time around and answer your current questions too: I am keeping the 2.9" pulley on the Jag M112 for the time being, but I won't actually run with it. I am yet to measure the pulley that came with the Ford M112. I am thinking of running with either a 3.5" or 3.1" pulley to give me between 6 and 8 psi, which the stock ECU can run with; it would have a major hissy fit with a 2.9" pulley - regardless of whether I use an charge cooler or not (I won't be at this point in time). I'm not chasing crazy numbers, just want to force a little bit more air in to the engine to wake it up a bit and give it a bit more "oomph".

Great to see you moving forward with this Jay! I've been sitting on one of Chuck's shortened manifolds for years but mine is for a VVTi motor so wouldn't fit your 1UZ. Bonnet clearance is a problem, and the inline Bullet intercooler which I'm told is 30mm thick would send the blower through the bonnet when it's all stacked together. Water/meth looks to be the cooling approach if an intercooler can't be used. I have a GT500 M122 if you fancy some more fitment tests ;)

[quote name='Delboy52']Great to see you moving forward with this Jay! I've been sitting on one of Chuck's shortened manifolds for years but mine is for a VVTi motor so wouldn't fit your 1UZ. Bonnet clearance is a problem, and the inline Bullet intercooler which I'm told is 30mm thick would send the blower through the bonnet when it's all stacked together. Water/meth looks to be the cooling approach if an intercooler can't be used. I have a GT500 M122 if you fancy some more fitment tests ;)[/QUOTE] Thanks Mike! It's been something that I've wanted to crack on with for a while but real life got in the way :(. I'm looking forwards to actually doing it now :D! I'm glad that Chuck managed to get you sorted - was it much trouble? When I carried out my test fit back in 2018, I was able to close my bonnet and as far as I could tell, there was clearance between the bonnet and pulley. However, that was only the test fit so the real thing will be the true test :eek:. You're right about the Bullet 'cooler, so I'll be interested to hear about the alternative approach at some point. Thank you for the offer, I may well take you up on that, once I've got the manifold properly fitted :thumbs::D.

On Sunday, I was able to make a start with stripping the engine down to get the inlet manifold(s) off. Time was not on my side (despite the clocks going backwards :rolleyes:), so I was not able to get much done but I managed to do the following:

• Remove the battery and battery tray
  • Disconnected the MAF sensor
  • Disconnected the vacuum lines for the power steering and IAC
  • Removed the Airbox, MAF sensor and inlet piping up to the throttle body
  • Disconnected the throttle, cruise control and line pressure cables from the throttle body

Here's a poor "before" pic of the engine bay...

1616079480_2020-10-25-BeforeDismantling.jpg.641d8580ef523156d50298ca0cf0d8f1.jpg

...and some better "after" pics:

1117247374_20201025_161526-Copy.jpg.28d08539e5f153a660c2e99a9aeab71b.jpg

919865643_20201025_161541-Copy.jpg.c91f21fb955aade283ba067991547189.jpg

The before pic was taken with my action cam as I was recording a video and took a mid-vid pic. After reviewing the pic, I decided that the quality wasn't brilliant, so I won't be doing that again. Next time, at a minimum, I'm hoping to get the cooling system drained so that I can remove the radiator and associated piping, remove the engine covers and rocker covers and fuel lines. We'll see what happens.

On a final note, my "Final Blast" video is taking a little while longer to sort out than expected, so for now here's a link to a drive that I did for a bit of fun in September on the B660-B645 🙂

Edited by J-Meiser
Reinstated the pictures (see edit history)

[quote name='J-Meiser']I'm glad that Chuck managed to get you sorted - was it much trouble? [/QUOTE] He's really good to work with. I bought another VVTi manifold for him to modify in Canada, and gave him measurements of my supercharger mount holes for the bolts to confirm data he already had. He also recommended the water/meth approach. My brother who was living in Canada at the time received it in the local post and brought it to the UK in his carry-on suitcase :D Here's a link to bits I was looking into. Water/meth [url]https://www.snowperformance.eu/en/water-injection/boost-cooler/turbo-gasoline[/url]

• 1 month later...
On 10/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, Paul 887 said:

That would be great, interested to see how its been done

Im waiting on a zaaz low mount to come into stock or i may go with the elate low mount.

I was looking at a thread on lexteme and with our standard crank pully a 2.9" pulley woupd make 10psi boost. Are you planning on having it mapped ? Any cooling ?

Hi Paul,

Really sorry for the delay in getting these pics put up, this is the first time that I've had the opportunity to get onto the forums in a while; I hope that they help 👍

IMG_20170110_220905.jpg

IMG_20170110_220929.jpg

On 10/29/2020 at 8:10 AM, Delboy52 said:

[quote name='J-Meiser']I'm glad that Chuck managed to get you sorted - was it much trouble? [/QUOTE] He's really good to work with. I bought another VVTi manifold for him to modify in Canada, and gave him measurements of my supercharger mount holes for the bolts to confirm data he already had. He also recommended the water/meth approach. My brother who was living in Canada at the time received it in the local post and brought it to the UK in his carry-on suitcase :D Here's a link to bits I was looking into. Water/meth [url]https://www.snowperformance.eu/en/water-injection/boost-cooler/turbo-gasoline[/url]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link for the water/meth cooling solution - I've had a good look and it and it certainly looks promising. I will give it some serious consideration for how I could incorporate it into my build!

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, things have been rather busy with work and family life recently and as I stated in an earlier post, this is the first time that I've had the opportunity to come on the forum in a while (it looks really good!).

I have made some progress and I hope to get some posts and pics up as soon as I can 🙂.

17 hours ago, J-Meiser said:

Hi Paul,

Really sorry for the delay in getting these pics put up, this is the first time that I've had the opportunity to get onto the forums in a while; I hope that they help 👍

IMG_20170110_220905.jpg

IMG_20170110_220929.jpg

No problem at all mate i was just curious as to how it looked. Looks excellent!!

I've just ordered a zaaz low mount manifold from Thailand. Should be here next week.

Its designed to be able to bolt the ford m112 straight to it. So I'll have to make a top plate as i was intending on using a jag m112 

Screenshot_20201125-125956_Google.jpg

Edited by Paul 887
Spelling mistake (see edit history)