The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharging my V8 - Will be pic heavy

J-Meiser

22 hours ago, J-Meiser said:

Hello everyone,

I took my Supra out for a run today, as I finished installing the water-methanol system over the weekend. I need to fine tune the system a bit, as I do experience some bogging at lower RPMs but it does come alive at 4500-5000 RPM all the way to redline.

Here's a very small snippet from my drive today.

I still have more work to do, but it is getting there!

Love it!

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Is this running stick ecu then mate. How're you sorting the tune with boost

Yes, stock ECU at the moment. So far, so good 🤞🏾; it appears to be handling the new setup well. I am going to be keeping a close eye on it as I drive it more and just see how it goes. I am still working on various bits of wiring at the moment, so the ECU is going be reset frequently for a little while to come. 

Late last year, I sent my ECU away to be examined and a few capacitors needed to be replaced, so should issues start popping up, I can rule out a failing ECU. 

Are you referring to the bogging at lower RPMs? If you are, then I intend to raise the start point of thale water-methanol injection. At present, I have it set to 3 psi, with 100% coming on at 18 psi. Obviously I am not going to reach 18, so at max boost, I will only be running at 50% injection for now. I will be fiddling with these values until I get it right and the engine is happy. 

Ah sorry, I misunderstood.

At this stage, I won't be having a tune for boost or anything like that as I am only running the stock ECU; it will literally be as it is. Should I find that the stock ECU is struggling. then I may look to go aftermarket. Otherwise, if it continues to run well as it is, then at some point in the future I will look to swap the puller for a smaller one and run around 12 psi then. I cannot remember what an unopened 1UZ can safely run, but I believe it is around 14-15 psi. I'm happy to be corrected though!

I do not believe that the stock ECU will be able to cope with 18 psi; I would be more than happy if it could though! I am running a 3" pulley which should give me a maximum of 9 psi. I have set the water-methanol controller to run at 100% injection at 18 psi, but as I can only run a maximum of 9 psi, I will get 50% water-methanol injection at max boost. I will bring the 100% injection level down, nearer to 9 psi, once I have sorted out the bogging issue. That way, I should have smooth acceleration in lower RPMs and as the boost builds, the water-methanol injection will kick in and not interfere with the acceleration, only enhance it.

That is the plan, anyway 😅.

22 hours ago, mc92 said:

Sounds awesome 👍

10 hours ago, Thorin said:

Sounding great! Really enjoyed reading the updates on this.

Thank you both very much!

I must say that it is a pleasure to be able to drive my Supra again 😁 and while I am fine tuning and learning, I am more than happy to share updates.

• Like 1

So, another small update.

I decided to go to call in to the office in my Supra today, mainly because I can 😁, but I also wanted to try and get the start point of the water-methanol injection sorted out. The injection start point was at 3 psi, so I changed it to 5 psi before I set off, as I remember trying 4 psi on while on the drive on Tuesday and the engine not being happy with that either. The 100% injection point was still set to 18 psi, so I left that were it was.

Well, I can safely say that having the injection start 5 psi is where the engine is happy! No bogging, just smooth and eager acceleration 🙌🏾! With the roads being rather wet on my way to the office this morning, I did not do any WOT pulls and drove carefully 😅.

However, by this afternoon the roads had dried out a fair bit, so I was happy to experiment just a little bit more. I changed the 100% injection point to 15 psi, so at 9 psi I should be getting a little under 66% of maximum injection. Unfortunately, I did not do any WOT pulls on the drive away from the office, but everything still felt great. To be honest, I dare say that it was the best that it has felt so far!

I did not have my action camera with me, as I had no plans to record any videos, however my dash cam is always running so I am sharing a short video from my dash cam, taken on my drive away from the office. I was playing music, as I did not have any plans to take any videos, so I apologise to anyone who does not like my taste in music. This was an impromptu share.

Edited by J-Meiser (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I know that it has been a long time since I updated this thread but I do have an update in the works. It is quite a long one though, as it details the issues that I have experienced, upgrades/improvements that I have made and the general experience of driving of driving my Supra in its new setup. In the mean time, here is a recent video of me taking my Supra out for a run. Let me know your thoughts.

• Like 3

30 seconds into your video this might almost have been accident evidence for the truck as a dithering white barge makes it's pedestrian entry onto the carriageway oblivious to the multiple tons of mobile metal closing in from behind 😄

Supra is sounding lovely, seems to pick up speed quickly without drama on those tight back lanes!

• Like 1

Indeed; that was the main reason why I held right back! I honestly do not know what their thought process was at that time, but they need to change it otherwise they will cause an incident!

Thank you! I recently resolved an issue with the primary idler pulley at the top of the engine, just before the supercharger pulley and that allows the engine pick up and respond far more quickly. I can put my foot down at any time and it takes off - I am quite happy with that 😁!

• Like 2