The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What brakes are best choice for my supra?

Doublefacy

Hi,

Not that long ago i bought TT6 Supra, which is import, but has UK spec bigger 4 pot brakes.

Brakes were ok for city drive but once i got out on open road and was braking at higher speeds , brakes were making vibration and strange rather loud noise.

Hence I decided to change them +

they looked like this:

1.jpg

In regards of pads I would go with Potterfield R4-S pads, but if you got better suggestion , i'm keep my options open.

Not sure about brake discs. Is there much difference in discs? I mean , being grooved or dimpled or just flat in terms of cooling pads?

Just not sure what caused my current brakes go bad and develop those spots. They were grooved.

I was thinking initially EBC disc, but hear lot of bad review on their pads , makes me wonder about their quality. Plus they not that cheap.

has anyone had any experience with mtec brake disks?

Not sure if mtec is same as mintex, but my golf gti has those mintex on and they work far better than my current supra brakes, which are obviously bit messed up.

Basically my car is stock performance right now, not planning to modified too much. Might do some odd track day, but nothing major. So I'm more like looking for something fast street driving.

My budget for disks and brakes is around £400. And i rather not wait 1 month for something to be delivered , as i got old ones taken off already.

Cheers,

Edgars

Genuine toyota disks are recommended, pads are where you need to be selective and it depends on how hard you are on them (UK's don't have the range of pads they used to and some hardcore users have moved away from them google/search "Bignum")

Hawk, Porterfield and Chris Wilson pads are names that come up..........

https://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?319669-Brake-Pads-Performance-Friction-Poterfield-or-Ferodo

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

Unless you're seriously tracking the car, the larger factory brake setup is adequate for all level of power. Guys in the US run the 4 pot front brakes with the smaller j-spec rears on cars with well over 1000hp with no issues... Even the OEM pads are fine, though maybe consider Chris Wilson pads.

A Supra with the larger brake setup set a stopping distance record for an American magazine, which wasn't bettered until they tested a Porsche Carrera GT many years later. That is a phenomenal achievement, and testament to just how good the factory setup is.

It is a shame the calipers aren't a little lighter mind.

Thanks guys for so much responses. So the botom line is to get good pads and in regards of discs, oem is safe bet everything else is a bit of gamble. Just wonder where do you find brembo discs these days that is right size 323mm? And i might sound blond but where would be safe to source oem disks? Just never really bought much stuff for supra as i own it for less than 2 yr.

In regards of old discs. One of my friends who appears to be mechanics, says that those spot occur when brakes are not broken in properly. Brake disks themselves dont seem to be worn much as they are still 30mm thick. But from darker color seems like they have been overheated or so. But then it had TRD pads which i assume are good. Just trying to understand why it all went bad. Would not want that to happen to new setup.

It just that i got similar colored rear brakes on my golf, but my handbrake used to get stuck and i know for sure they got overheated many times.

If it were me unless they have been done i'd have all four calipers refurbished with new seals

and pistons (piston replacement depends on what state the old ones are in once you get them out) also

unless they have been changed i'd upgrade the hoses to braided and replace all the brake fluid

If it were me unless they have been done i'd have all four calipers refurbished with new seals

and pistons (piston replacement depends on what state the old ones are in once you get them out) also

unless they have been changed i'd upgrade the hoses to braided and replace all the brake fluid

Would you do it yourself? Is it easy enough to take it apart? Although visually they look ok. Almost no rust on piston heads.

Braided hoses whould give me more firm pedal as they dont expand?

Im just saving money for new house, so i rather not spend hunderds on refurbishing callipers by some garage, if its something i can do myself. Before your post i was thinking in my head, if all4 pistons slide back equaly easy in order to put new pads on, then i would leave it as is.