The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wifi boosters

Dnk

I'm with BT and looking to boost the wifi around the house, its very patchy and varies

Any recommendations

I've looked at BT's BT 11ac Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 1200 which looks like

it does the job

I run all networks across my home and office sites that includes ethernet, wifi and DLAN. I've run wifi range extenders and additional DLAN adapters. The DLAN powerline adapters proved easier to locate as they just plug right into a mains socket, they are easier to operate and more reliable in distributing the broadband to out of the way locations. I have tried MESH DLAN adapters but they didn't maintain a stable connection to the router over the powerline even using the same sockets that the DLAN adapters have working in well for years. So I've ended up with ethernet in the office with router wifi for phone connection. Then elsewhere its DLAN and on the pre-MESH DLAN you can get a 1.2Mb connection rate whish in plenty to stream from.

DLAN is cheap, you can buy adapters for £30 that you can plug into any socket on the same ring main as the router. You can get the wifi enabled DLAN adapters for around £50. When you go for the MEST options you are running around three times the prices for a theoretical doubling in transfer speeds that you aren't likely to need even with 4k streaming. You can second hand DLAN 500Mbps adapter network setups for around £40, probably from seller who have upgraded to the latest MESH adapters.

I use powerline adapters - I use wired internet where possible, but you can get powerline devices that re-broadcast the wifi. The beauty is that the extender doesn't need to be within wifi range of the original router, because it gets distributed over the power lines.

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0723C86CX/ref=dp_cerb_1 - this would be fine if you have spare mains sockets you're not using. If you don't, then you can get passthrough versions that re-expose the socket for general use.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Hi Dunk,

I'm with BT and have the complete WiFi setup with the round booster things. I get excellent WiFi from this setup.

Is this what you currently have?

Hi mate, no i don't have any boosters yet but need something

Hi Dunk,

I'm with BT and have the complete WiFi setup with the round booster things. I get excellent WiFi from this setup.

Is this what you currently have?

Just had a look and being a tight git don't want to spend that much but might have to lol

I'd have to buy the router and the booster and that's £200

Yeah all the boosters are poor.

You'd be best swapping to a Mesh system like the linksys velop or the Netgear orbi.

I actually have a 2node Linksys velop for sale (shameless plug)

PM'd you about the Linksys

FYI - I'm pretty sure the BT Complete WiFi is a mesh system.

I'll have to see if i can blag them, recently did it with their broadband speed not being the guaranteed 50mb, they sent 3 engineers out to fix it and they all said you'll never get that here. i also got a large refund for a miss sold second line.

My work are paying for any reasonable cost for me to setup up a home office, anyone got a link to something that will do the job? Nothing too fancy and expensive.

I found this which looked well priced compared to other outlets

https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/products/linksys-velop-dual-band-ac2600-3pk-vlp0103-uk-FD8C.html?utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=ZS00&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=ZS00&awc=3157_1594369290_057b35893c4bdd6eceb9b5cd8c8f429d