The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decent reliable run around....?

Glanza_Mike

Afternoon chaps,

I've been looking around for a decent reliable car to use a daily for the next few years, something that isn't extreme on insurance and looks pretty decent would be a big plus. 2k would be the absolute most i would want to spend but £800 to £1.5k is ideal. Doesn't have to be super economical as i don't do many miles working from home but reliable would be a plus so I've ruled out the RX8 :(

I've been considering the Civic 1.6 vtec sport, a non turbo subaru wagon bugeye/hawkeye, possibly a 3 series.

Any recommendations...?

The non-turbo Subaru wagon is a good shout. They're still fun in the snow and can be made to sound nice with a downpipe and decat.

What about a mk4 Golf V5? I looked at one recently advertised at £1,000 which a friend eventually bought. The later cars are 170bhp and have a lovely 5 cylinder noise :love:

At the minute I've a 2006 Mazda 3 Sport that I use as a runabout which I've had for almost 2 years. I prefer the looks of the saloon over the hatch. Cost me £1,500 with 65,000 miles on it. Comes with self levelling xenons, air con, auto wipers, auto lights. Everything works. Touch wood.

2 litre n/a 150bhp. Same engine family as Ford's Duratec. I personally try to stay away from old turbo stuff as dailies.

I also picked up a set of RX8 wheels for £120 from the scrapyard which fit straight on and threw in a set of Eibach springs.

Only thing is they can be rusty buggers. The arches are starting to go on mine.

attachment.php?attachmentid=225137&stc=1&d=1517327314

The non-turbo Subaru wagon is a good shout. They're still fun in the snow and can be made to sound nice with a downpipe and decat.

What about a mk4 Golf V5? I looked at one recently advertised at £1,000 which a friend eventually bought. The later cars are 170bhp and have a lovely 5 cylinder noise :love:

At the minute I've a 2006 Mazda 3 Sport that I use as a runabout which I've had for almost 2 years.

There's a subaru wagon i might go and look at tonight, insruance is about £50 more than a civic which seems decent.

Not that keen on golfs until they get to the newer ages which i don't want to pay for.

The Mazda looks nice mate, i'll take a look.

Saab 9-3 1.9 tdi cheap and good mpg, and you can work on it yourself.

Haven't look ed at these either but in general didn't really want a diesel as i know they are getting stricter on their emissions so MOT time may not be as fun.

I could be selling my 1.9tdi passat, not a pretty car but been a VERY reliable work horse. If you get stuck and in need of a run a round let me know

Will do Jake ty, not really after a diesel tho.

My mate and his Mrs both just got themselves Beetles. She has the 1.9tdi and his is the 1.8 turbo. Cheap as chip and more interesting than a lot of stuff at that price. Dash flower is optional.

Not sure i could cope with the hairdresser comments, especially now i have long hair :innocent::D

I've just got myself a 2004 Civic Type R (EP3) to use as a daily. Previous to that I've been using a 1.0 Seat Arosa donated to me by a friend. Only paid £1600 for the Civic, 100k, plenty of history, standard other than an induction kit, and recent new clutch, new tires and timing chain. Will be nice to have something less embarrassing to run about in, plus with enough performance to keep up with modern traffic. Getting used to driving the Arosa means that I always scare myself a little whenever the opportunity arises to drive the Supra.

I'll keep you updated on what it's like as a daily if you like?

PS. I wouldn't go for a scoob, even in non-turbo trim they are terrible on fuel. My brother had a 2.0 N/A wagon for a year and it don't think it ever got over 20mpg - may as well just get another Supe - at least the performance would match the fuel consumption! EP3's are supposed to retain 30-35 mpg on average.

5 cylinder Volvo :

My current one cost me £600 , got it at 200,000 miles and now 300,000 , but recently the alternator packed up and cost me £75 , so I think I was sold a pup .

The ignition switch also plays up and is loose , this could be another £40 this year - miffed !!!

I've just got myself a 2004 Civic Type R (EP3) to use as a daily. Previous to that I've been using a 1.0 Seat Arosa donated to me by a friend. Only paid £1600 for the Civic, 100k, plenty of history, standard other than an induction kit, and recent new clutch, new tires and timing chain. Will be nice to have something less embarrassing to run about in, plus with enough performance to keep up with modern traffic. Getting used to driving the Arosa means that I always scare myself a little whenever the opportunity arises to drive the Supra.

I'll keep you updated on what it's like as a daily if you like?

PS. I wouldn't go for a scoob, even in non-turbo trim they are terrible on fuel. My brother had a 2.0 N/A wagon for a year and it don't think it ever got over 20mpg - may as well just get another Supe - at least the performance would match the fuel consumption! EP3's are supposed to retain 30-35 mpg on average.

Yeah let me know mate would be interested, although i'd probably end up with the 1.6 vtec for insurance sake.

Skoda Fabia VRS FTW!!!

Insurance :(

How about sticking with Toyota? - GS300 or GS430 if you can find one in budget.

These look pretty nice, right at the top end of budget for the newer shape. I'll keep an eye out

Sounds like your perfect car then, or an Audi TT or MX-5 :p

Subaru Legacys gen 4 can be that cheap and the flat 6 engine is stronger than the 4cl

I'll take a look mate ty.

Gen7 Celica if you're being sensible-ish, if not an BMW E39 530i.

Hadn't considered the BMW, kinda of leaning towards something Jap at the minute, Celica is up there.

Saab 9-3 turbo petrol, just watch for chocolate springs, although cheap to replace.

Saab 9-5 2.3 HOT petrol :)

Seems to be a lot of Saab love ITT, for the money i want to spend i think they look pretty ugly is the problem :innocent:

How practical does it need to be? I'd be in an MX-5 but you'll hardly be able to get anything in it.

Honda Civic or Accord would be my routes to market.

Considered MX5 but i'm a golfer and good luck luck getting a set of bats in the back :D Other 2 are good shouts.

5 cylinder Volvo :

My current one cost me £600 , got it at 200,000 miles and now 300,000 , but recently the alternator packed up and cost me £75 , so I think I was sold a pup .

The ignition switch also plays up and is loose , this could be another £40 this year - miffed !!!

Haha, i'll take a look mate, which model do you have?

Went to see a Scooby wagon last night but the Ozzy dealer was a c*** trying some hard sell BS that went out of fashion in the 80's so he just came across as a dickhead, and the car wasn't great :blink:

I had an EP2 civic (1.6 vtec) for about 4-5 years when I first left uni and was saving for my first property, did about 60-70k miles in that time. In that time it only cost me basic service costs and tyres, nothing ever went wrong with it. Got fairly decent mpg as well (around 45mpg). It was nippy enough and had shed loads of room in it, plenty of space in the back for full grown adults to sit comfortably. Perfect for a cheap run around. Only sold it to get an S2k as a daily, as I have no reason to doubt the civic would easily have lasted me another 5 years.

I work at Volvo, at I assume Jagman will be talking about a D5 engined S60/ V70/ V70 cross country.

They are built like tanks, and as he said they can cover enormous mileages if looked after. But they can be expensive when things go wrong, Volvo parts prices can be high, and main dealer service rates are among the highest. If one of the various control units go you can only get a replacement brand new from volvo, used ones dont work as they are keyed to the car, so the cost can be eyewatering. But on the whole they dont go wrong.

Early ones are the best, later ones can have swirl flap and dpf issues, and they will eat front tyres if the tracking isnt perfect, but in the grand scheme of things they are very good.

The d5 also has bags of character for a diesel engine :)