The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Everybody loves a single thread

Jellybean

His response was better and a bit 'back tracky'............a use of judicious smilies would have helped the first comment to pass with just a raised eyebrow, instead it was incendiary.

He has a stock car and defends it to the hilt, single guys obviously defend theirs, unfortunately he has a tone that gets peoples back up such that those offended by him then want to throw crap back his way! (er like Sheefa :D )

I mean I could say that his stock example until recently had more rust than an seaside dwelling uk spec and was only held together with the aid of mud from his crappy farm track lane and now has an old dustbin lid sized patch in the wheel arch, which ruins it's originality and so for me makes it worthless and far from a good investment.

or..........the guy is a long termer owner, who's enjoyed the car (and other interesting ones) for years, for nigh on no depreciation cost, has recently lavished lots of tlc on the old girl, highlighted a few potential issues to us other hopefully long term owners. Has put the car in the firing line for criticism to assist others all the while having a altruistic motive to keeping her up together.

What I don't per se like is the whipping up of anti feeling, we can all read, we don't need to be so divisive and by that I mean that Sheefa's attempt to label Blythmrk as on some side or other, you are either with us or against us!? I appreciate there is some history between the two (Sheefa/Rider) and they have actually met and not got on because or despite of this, however not everyone gets on and like his posting style/opinionated'ness (non word sorry) or not Rider has some positive input for the forum in my opinion.

Carlos is asking the single guys for their opinion on his plans, not for someone asking everyone raise their glass pending 'another' breaking thread. Rider spends his spare time scouring the internet for single turbo sales and advertises them here as 'another 6spd dream', or pops up in members personal sales threads to diminish their cars credibility.

His plans make fine economic sense, the kit is bolt on and can be bolted off and replaced by the original parts (which he can keep) anytime he wishes. THAT is a fact!

Only one person is touting the superiority of their brand in here and its recurring like herpes, with unwanted regularity.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

Hey I'm not totally disagreeing at all, like I say we can all read, and it was an unnecessary comment for sure. You were a little harsh the other day saying NA owners want everything cheap, very cheap. Now that's a comment with obviously an element of truth but also insulting to someone not in that category, like Riders comments often have an element of truth but got under peoples skin? Now I'm not saying you are this and that, we all have our sliding scale of bluntness/tact level etc etc. It's just feeding the fire now to react to the digs.

I agree with you, my comments were blunt in delivery, but constructive and on topic. His rhetoric is predictable and constant and the element of truth isnt hidden in poor delivery, it's his dogma. There is a perverse amount of gratification being taken from the misfortune or change in circumstances of people and members at large.

Nobody modifies their cars because they think they will get it back, they do it for the emjoyment. If you want to lock yours away and stare at it, that's also fine.

Take his subframe rebuild thread for example - That is constructive. These comments? More than unnecessary so lock them away with your car Rider.

Wow, never seen such an eloquent disagreement on a car forum. That said I do peruse WRX/STi forums a lot....

Just wanna chuck out there that most people with NA's are younger and don't own homes, the majority of TT owners likely do (don't think I've ever seen a young person on here with a TT). Project cars are a one-way ticket to never getting on the housing ladder, as such, cheap is the only way to roll.

Wow, never seen such an eloquent disagreement on a car forum. That said I do peruse WRX/STi forums a lot....

Just wanna chuck out there that most people with NA's are younger and don't own homes, the majority of TT owners likely do (don't think I've ever seen a young person on here with a TT). Project cars are a one-way ticket to never getting on the housing ladder, as such, cheap is the only way to roll.

Using the word eloquent AND frequenting WRX/STI forums, liar! :D

I met a really interesting car buff this year who owns a lot of very nice cars, makes my meagre collection look like the super mini set compared to his exotica. No better, best, worst there though - he loved my little MGB. One car he owns is a car I drool over and hope, maybe, one day will own. Its a Mk1 e-type roadster. I said show me, probably drooling as I said that, but unfortunately he couldn't. Its off for refurbishment and has been for over a year. He drives 350 miles once a month to go visit it to see the progress. The guy is spending close to £100k on the refurb which apparently will leave the car looking like it just fell off the production line. Doesn't make any financial sense today but I know exactly where he is coming from. A problem for me is if Supras ever become a £100k car that will be me sending it off for a year and spending £70k to get it back to factory fresh. Why, I couldn't really pin it down, it'd be more why not and I expect those who have modified their Supra probably have a similar outlook just with a different result?

With all this money he is spending on the e-type he isn't putting some towards dropping the latest Jaguar 4.2 supercharged engine with stage III mods into the e-type and I'm pretty sure I know why not. If he did though, that wouldn't make him a better or worse person. If he was thinking about it, I certainly wouldn't feel I was being negative by saying "are you 100% sure that's a good idea?". That's never a bad thing, even if its as a devils advocate which was not my input; rather than just getting the yeh mate that's great. Fully considering the pros and cons always makes for a better choice.

For the record, my car which seems to interest others more than it does me on occasions is most definitely not the best and is unlikely to ever be the best. I'm also sure its not the worst. That's the nub really, it doesn't matter what other people think its down to what you think unless you happen to be the type that craves peer approval.

Agree with you too, when I'm on here I try and focus on the one thing we all have in common, an interest/love for the Supra and not the car specs/lifestyles/outlook/motives and million others things where we are all different.

Exactly that, it's a helpful community of opinions, advice and knowledge aslong as it's factual or constructive is why people come here.

(don't think I've ever seen a young person on here with a TT).

I like to think I'm young, does that count ? :D

If he was thinking about it, I certainly wouldn't feel I was being negative by saying "are you 100% sure that's a good idea?". That's never a bad thing, even if its as a devils advocate which was not my input; rather than just getting the yeh mate that's great. Fully considering the pros and cons always makes for a better choice.

Heh. That's not what you said though is it...

Nobody gave him just a 'yeah mate', there was some solid advice and nothing that cannot be reversed.

Define young i bought mine at 22 :p

Tunnel , windows down , Supra single equals big smiles , I dont care about hp figs , noise , driveability , enjoyment you get from driving it

TT Tubbies are 25 years old , it gets to a point things need a refresh , engine , suspension ... cars are a toy , not a financial investment ; it all comes down to question , if you want your Supra as a long term toy

Here comes the man maths ,

What performance car would you get to even compare to the price of a refresh, VRT/Motortax in Ireland is ludicrous , a new M4 is 120.000 euro mark!!

TT Tubbies are not financially viable to refresh, they come with a crib sheet as to why your warranty is void should they fail , single setup is more reliable , less complex , a wider range/cheaper parts available after the initial outlay

Like Hemanhead has said , thinks can be bolted back on/ off

Did I say it sounds awesome ! I will never sell the car unless they sky rocketed in price , is not going to happen in my life time!

A shame there is some disagreement with the thread. I just wanted to say how much I value this forum even before I bought a Supra. Clearly a lot of fantastic work has gone into it from its creators, the buying guide and repair manuals alone are invaluable. My car would still be in bits without the help of blythmrk helping me with replacing obsolete parts recently.

I guess we are all different in our tastes and I’d love an unmolested stock car to tuck away, a modified Single turbo for tracks and weekends and an honest N/A for everyday. Even if we disagree on somethings, fundamentally we all share a common passion for our beautiful machines.

He has a stock car and defends it to the hilt, single guys obviously defend theirs, unfortunately he has a tone that gets peoples back up such that those offended by him then want to throw crap back his way! (er like Sheefa :D )

What I don't per se like is the whipping up of anti feeling, we can all read, we don't need to be so divisive and by that I mean that Sheefa's attempt to label Blythmrk as on some side or other, you are either with us or against us!? I appreciate there is some history between the two (Sheefa/Rider) and they have actually met and not got on because or despite of this, however not everyone gets on and like his posting style/opinionated'ness (non word sorry) or not Rider has some positive input for the forum in my opinion.

I've met Baz aka Rider in real life at NEC show and we got on fine. It unfortunately was after that I noticed the majority of his comments were derogatory and/or demeaning to others on the forum.

Given I've been a member on the forum for 11+ years I can genuinely say i have rarely, if ever (maybe No1BoyRacer[emoji16]), had any kind of animosity towards other members yet Barry does get my back up for a number of reasons. I am however not an isolated example, just look at the views of many other long serving members. If there's a reoccurring problem there has to be a common denominator......[emoji850]

To be fair Scooter, Mark's comments were about Riders amazing wealth etc so entirely unrelated to the thread and wrongly defending his attitude when past and current threads have revealed his true colours. That said you're entitled to your own opinion, as am I, and many, many others.

To the OP, apologies and best of luck.

Edited by Sheefa (see edit history)

The only advice i would give to the op is try to futureproof things slightly, like bigger injectors, turbo etc as once you get used to the extra power you will want more, don`t forget you don`t have to run that 800 brake turbo at full chat yet, just run it at less boost then turn it up when you`re ready, also builds abit of reliability in as components arent stressed as much.