The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More updates on the MkV

AlexJames

I'm surprised they are keeping with a straight 6 though!

Only the BMW is getting a straight six isn't it? The options I've seen so far for the Toyota offering are a V6, twin turbo v6, i4 and turbo i4 in addition to a potential hybrid v6 option. I'd anticipate the hybrid being quickest in a straight line.

Only the BMW is getting a straight six isn't it? The options I've seen so far for the Toyota offering are a V6, twin turbo v6, i4 and turbo i4 in addition to a potential hybrid v6 option. I'd anticipate the hybrid being quickest in a straight line.

Personally I think we'll see a combination of 4 and 6 cylinder models, the 6 will be based on the BMW straight 6, the 4 based on a Toyota unit (BMW have already done this before with the mini).

Very unlikely, given the use of BMW electronics and interior that it will have been developed to take a Toyota v6, IMO.

A clip from the article.

"Rumours suggest the new Supra will come fitted with a straight-six engine from BMW's powertrain stable, forgoing the four-cylinder engines of lesser Z4s. Whatever the engine the Supra's ace card should come in the form of hybrid-electric tech to boost performance. "

My Opinion: If Toyota call it a Supra, logically what ever your bias, it is a MkV

Very unlikely, given the use of BMW electronics and interior that it will have been developed to take a Toyota v6, IMO.

Agree with this but stranger things have happened. Also, Toyota have just launched a new flagship TT V6 which is designed to replace the big NA V8 in the premium models. Not sure it would package well in a car designed for an I6, though.

Hardly a supra with a bm engine, 5 series interior, bm hybrid tech? Hopefully doesn't get the supra badge.

Aston Martins will use AMG engines soon, Pagani already does. Bentley uses VW bits, and Rolls Royce used BMW.

Gone are the days when car manufacturers can afford to develop these models alone.

Platform and Drivetrain sharing (or just swapping a badge over in Toyota's case) is nothing new, with rebadging other manufacturers cars as their own, recent example/s: Aygo & Proace (Peugeot Citroen), GT86 (Subaru). Their latest Family car (Avensis. Verso, Auris) Diesel Engines are BMW. Also Toyota Exchanging Hybrid Tech with BMW for their Hydrogen Tech.

It seems to be becoming more common with Toyota's vehicle range now (as with many other manufacturers). Which for me kind of takes the shine off the brand knowing it's other manufacturers (who's quality of vehicle/s I'm not too keen on tbh) potentially unreliable poor quality tech instead of Toyota's own predictably good quality & reliable tech, which is why I've always purchased earlier Toyota's on that basis, that I know what I'm paying for and that it'll last with no ridiculous achilles heel faults, as it were.

Considering how compitant as a company for producing some brilliant & reliable cars it seems odd, imo. The economics & politics involved must be that tight they feel the need or require to resort to this method of vehicle development in order to sustain the brand.

• 4 months later...