The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Route 66 trip

tooquicktostop

Well after a year of waiting this Monday sees me and the missus off the Chicago to start our one month trip down route 66, its a trip I have always wanted to do and one that took a fair amount of planning

We will spend 3 days in Chicago which is one of my favorite cities and then pick up the first hire car, a Chrysler 300C, then -

Chicago and Springfield, Illinois

St Louis and Branson, Missouri

Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Amarillo, Texas

In Amarillo we will stop for 3 days while I catch the NASCAR race at the Austin Raceway

Tucumcari and Santa Fe, New Mexico

Durango, Colorado and the Silverton Railway through the Rocky Mountains

Monument Valley, Utah/Arizona

Winslow and Meteor Crater, Arizona

Extended 4 nights in Las Vegas and then the Grand Canyon, Arizona

Change cars to a V8 Mustang

Needles, Rialto and Santa Monica, California

Napa Valley wine region

San Francisco

I will post up as many pics as I can to this thread once we get going !

Well after a year of waiting this Monday sees me and the missus off the Chicago to start our one month trip down route 66, its a trip I have always wanted to do and one that took a fair amount of planning

We will spend 3 days in Chicago which is one of my favorite cities and then pick up the first hire car, a Chrysler 300C, then -

Chicago and Springfield, Illinois

St Louis and Branson, Missouri

Tulsa and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Amarillo, Texas

In Amarillo we will stop for 3 days while I catch the NASCAR race at the Austin Raceway

Tucumcari and Santa Fe, New Mexico

Durango, Colorado and the Silverton Railway through the Rocky Mountains

Monument Valley, Utah/Arizona

Winslow and Meteor Crater, Arizona

Extended 4 nights in Las Vegas and then the Grand Canyon, Arizona

Change cars to a V8 Mustang

Needles, Rialto and Santa Monica, California

Napa Valley wine region

San Francisco

I will post up as many pics as I can to this thread once we get going !

So jealous Dean !!!!

We have packed for the first week only, I will be in XXXL Walmart clobber for the rest of the trip......BBQ

The bbq will be the least of your problems, theres literally fast food everywhere. Denny's is pretty decent for a roadside burger or breakfast place, and Theyre all over California. Great way to recharge the batteries during a long drive... Or become comatose behind the wheel after eating too much :D

I drove a brand new mustang last year Dean and it is the perfect cruiser as it's so easy to drive and park even though it is quite a large car. Plus it makes the most beautiful noises when you put everything in sport mode and the pops and bangs on the over run made me grin like a kid :D

I did Orlando to Miami then back and I always get a bad back but didn't in the stang. Did a few other long trips and it just munches up the miles.

I drove a brand new mustang last year Dean and it is the perfect cruiser as it's so easy to drive and park even though it is quite a large car. Plus it makes the most beautiful noises when you put everything in sport mode and the pops and bangs on the over run made me grin like a kid :D

I did Orlando to Miami then back and I always get a bad back but didn't in the stang. Did a few other long trips and it just munches up the miles.

Its one of the reasons I avoided a classic, well that and the silly one way surcharge on classics ($1000+)

Its one of the reasons I avoided a classic, well that and the silly one way surcharge on classics ($1000+)

Trust me it's best decision you'll make. Properly working A/C and cooled seats are a must for some of the places on your trip !! I had to fire it up and put the cooled seats on every morning so I didn't fuse with the seat :blink:

A month to drive 2,500 miles, that leaves a lot of detour sight seeing time which you'll need en-route.

I only did the route 66 starting in California and heading East to Arizona and that was 25 years ago and enjoyed it immensely. The road was in a bad state then, with a load of deep holes and there were so many shut motels and gas stations as the Interstate ran alongside with all the traffic, often directly alongside. The few motels that remained open looked like nothing had changed since the 1950's with the décor. Left you feeling you had checked into Bates motel and got there probably 30 years to late which may be 50 years by now.

Make sure the spare tyre (or tire) is in good shape.

Sounds brilliant, I've been looking at hiring a car but all of them appear to be automatic. Guessing manuals are rare

Im a huge manual fan but think for that trip an auto would be the only way to go anyway :)

Agree with Shawn on this 100% a manual is a waste in the states as places are so far apart that you would rarely change gear anyway and crawling in traffic on the interstate with a manual would be like some form of chinese torture.