The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Toy, JZX90 Toyota Chaser, Tourer V

Richie_k83

So been a few months since I stepped away from Supra ownership. But i haven't left the Toyota brand behind...

New years day, i took a 400 mile round trip to pick up the new whip, 1996 Toyota Chaser Tourer V.

She's my first Turbo car and packing a 1JZ-GTE with just over 51,000 miles on the clock.

Pulls like a train, and is pretty darn immaculate for the age.

Wheels are from an R32 GTR, which i hear are forged, so pretty strong.

I am looking to squeeze some reliable power out of the stock Twins, but will be looking at building up another set with new bearings, seals and billet internals. Hoping for 300-400hp on a relatively OE setup.

Also in the pipeline is an LSD, I want to take her drifting where possible, she's an auto i know, but don't care too much. So i have some saving to do...!

Will be updating as a project thread as we go :)

Edited by Richie_k83 (see edit history)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers lol

She's quick as she is, turn the OD off, put in Power Mode and goooo.....!

Cant imagine what 400hp would be like lol

/QUOTE]

Nice car mate.

Turning the OD Off shouldnt do anything to the performance, it just keep the transmission from changing to fourth (over drive).

Nice. always like the chaser, don't see many about

Indeed, quite a rare beast, although apparently there are a few Chaser owners about the Midlands, i'm still yet to see one out and about.

Very nice, I quite like that as a classic. Anymore pictures?

I dont have many yet, hasnt been the weather to get any of late. Will do soon though for sure :)

Nice car mate.

Turning the OD Off shouldnt do anything to the performance, it just keep the transmission from changing to fourth (over drive).

Good point.

I was speaking to a friend who does drifting tuition at Flatout Factory, he has drifted a few of these Auto JZX90's

He said I need to switch the Overdrive and Traction Control off, put her in power mode, stick the box in second, then go and play.... lol

Already a boost of confidence to go and do it now, was expecting a load of flack for doing Auto drifts, but meh, its about the fun aspect no? :)

Gearbox sympathy package landed today, will hopefully ease the strain of any sideways abuse...

Mishimoto Transmission Oil cooler;

mishi.JPG

9l of Royal Purple ATF for a full Oil Change;

oil.JPG

Also had some Diff seals land for when i upgrade to a Kaaz LSD, but hoping i have a Torsen diff which will suffice until then.

Will get an Endoscope in there on the weekend, should tell me what diff it is, as i cant find any info on an A01C diff....

• 1 month later...

Still enjoying this thing at the moment and making a start at doing more work to the old Girl.

Gave her a well deserved service the other day with some HKS goodies and swapped out the leaky Rad Cap for a Cusco jobbie,

svs.jpg

svs2.jpg

Also been tinkering with the Induction system and working at reducing the Induction temps, so I cleaned and heat wrapped the Turbo Inlet pipes, installed some new Silicone Hoses and some Hard Piping to suit.

svs3.jpg

Just need to do the rear Turbo inlet pipe as i ran out of wrap..! Plus finish the Airbox Hose with some Silicone and another heat wrapped pipe.

I have also bought some second hand HKS Hiper-D Coilovers for cheaps,

hk1.jpg

Cleaned up well after a Jet wash :)

hk2.jpg

One rear needs a re-seal, but will do both to keep it all even on the back end.

All need new top mount plates, but seeing as they aren't available anymore I will be getting the material CNC'd to size and knock them up myself. Then some Purple Anodising ready to go back on.

Struts just need a good Polish, but wont be too long till they are all rebuilt.

Just need to seek out someone to check the pressures and re-gas them now....

I'd get them over to you for £200, all-in. I only ever ran the 1jz with these pipes fitted and, as it happened, the previous owner of my engine was also the previous owner of the pipes, so the same turbos were bolted to these pipes for at least a decade.

He ran the turbos at 1.3 bar and I did the same once I had the R154 installed and when I sold the engine the new owner did the same. He is now selling the stock turbos as a working set with no leaks or shaft play as he is now running a single. So the pipes certainly don't appear to have had any negative effects on the longevity of the tubbies.

The pipes are purely designed to reduce turbulence immediately after the turbos, so may even improve the chances of keeping the seals and shafts in good health. The reason they increase power is down to the improved gas flow.

Trust me, I'm a doctor :D

Well make these your next purchase, you won't be sorry! Give me a shout if/when you do really want them though.

I have shots of them when I first fitted them to the engine and now that they're removed. I cleaned, painted and wrapped them prior to fitting and they're still in pretty decent/presentable order, y'know, for exhaust parts.

I can't get the pics up right now though as I'm on the phone, but there is certainly pics of them (wrapped and fitted to the engine) in the track car thread, if you're prepared to dig through it.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)