New Toy, JZX90 Toyota Chaser, Tourer V

Richie_k83

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gave the old girl a clean the other day, took some time to give the engine a wipe down, love how clean this thing is

:)

22136978_10214025837270427_5215659479917482931_o.jpg

Also, had a look through some old clearance stock at work, decided to snap up some old Rays Wheels.

18" Gram Lights 57 Maximum Pro Time Attacks and 57 Motorsport G07WT's both fitted with new Rays Red Valves.

22141219_10214004264571123_2367966365311287622_n.jpg

Hoping to have some sticky rubber come the end of the month and coilovers fitted too, cant bloody wait :)

• 3 weeks later...

Making some progress now. Mate at work has a Lathe, so turned down the centres on my new Cusco plates to accept the HKS Bearing Carriers.

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

Fitted some new bolts and were all ready to go on.

Ended up bolting them up on Sunday, has taken ages it feels after lots of messing about and a few hicups on the way, but all on and sitting nicely.

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

Ride is firmer, doesnt squat on boost now which is nice :)

Also changed out the HKS Filter for a JR Filter, HKS one wasn't sitting right and short of the cold air feed. JR one fits better :)

c5.jpg

Edited by Richie_k83 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Well I havent updated this in a while...

I had it up for sale to put towards grown-up commitments OR something with a manual Gearbox.

Couldnt go through with it in the end, not many of these around at all and seeing as she is the most practical Rwd Japanese Car I have owned, it probably isnt the best call. Unless the right Car came up....

So, moving forwad, I got my Wheels and Tyres on. Fitted them with Rays Nuts and Hub Rings. Might as well fit the best as its my first time owning a branded Wheels :D

Considering they are Cast and not Forged, they are still very lightweight.

Rr1.jpg

However, I wasnt kept on the Black Wheels, so made the call to get them re-painted in Silver.

Also did the lettering on the Tyres, but i'm not so struck on it, so may well be scrubbing that off....

r2.JPG

Still, it looks much better.

r3.jpg

r4.jpg

For now, its off the road thanks to a complete failure of the drivers rear strut. After some strange noises and a quick look underneath, the strut Shaft has sheared just below the top mount. Apparently a friend of mine has seen it before on these. I guess given the age, I dont know what kind of life they had before.

Anywho, Cusco have saved the day and offered a new pair of rear struts with Spring Platforms and locking rings. All of which is compatible with the HKS Spring and OE Top Mount.

I Should have them in a couple of months and be back out to play in no time.

So 2018's further modifications and repair list goes as follows;

* Replace rear Struts

* Fit Kaaz LSD

* Fit Cusco 7 point Roll Cage

* Fit Bride Bucket Seat and Seat Rail

* Fit Transmission Oil Cooler

* Replace Passenger Front Window Regulator

* Fit Nardi Steering Wheel

Kaaz LSD = banging and juddering, horrible in a road car. Can be improved with loads of friction modifier in the oil, or the mega dear OS Giken LSD oil, but will still be a snatchy and jumpy thing. Could the budget run to an OS Giken LSD??? Different as chalk and cheese...

We’re actually the Uk importer for Kaaz LSDs lol.

The biggest causes of noise is people using the wrong oil, not the Kaaz specific stuff, or the preload is just too aggressive for its application. The noise doesn’t bother me too much, i’m a 2 year Veteran of driving with a welded diff lol. But I would be inclined to try one of their Super-Q LSD’s as they’re quieter.

Arent OS mega money?

• 1 month later...

Well, the Car is still off the road and its killing me..!

But, as the arse end is still up in the air, I decided to pull the diff and get a KAAZ 2-Way Super-Q LSD in there.​

All out and waiting for the new Bearings and Seals to get here from Japan.

sup1.jpg sup2.jpg

Also got round to un-boxing up the new Cusco rear Dampers!

Fortunately, I ordered the upper Spring Seat adaptor plates from Cusco which allows me to use them with the OE Toyota Top Mounts. All I needed to do was trim the factory dust boot off with a stanley knife.

IMG_0235.jpg

The HKS Springs are the same diameter and free length too, so thats saved me a little.

Unfortunately the HKS Spring Seat and Locking Rings dont fit the the Cusco Dampers, so I had to shell out for those, but arriving any day with my diff bearings and seals...

As a bonus, I forgot they have adjustable Dampening! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the diff is working a treat, super happy with it at the moment, so making the arrangements to get trackside asap.

Since I'm so chuffed with the car right now, I did a few buys and got some Rays WR Caps for the Wheels to cover up the rusty Hub Nuts

29425078_10215427780438130_8456370026752736997_n.jpg

Along side that, Driftworks hooked me up with a nice new Nardi Steering Wheel and HKB Boss,

29425404_10215438262100165_6699880505589783839_n.jpg

Plus I finally got round to having the rear windows tinted :)

IMG_0329.jpg

Happy with how its coming together :)

Few more lifestyle mods this week, Takata Drift-II Snap-in Harness

tak.jpg

Running this alongside the seatbelt, so i have the option still to have rear seat passengers and not be left without a seatbelt.

That being said, I wont use the Harness until I have a Cage fitted.

Also clocked these little Wing Mirror Rain Deflectors on a Facebook Post the other day, thought they'd look cool on the Chaser, so ordered a pair up.

mirr.JPG

Pretty inexpensive little mod for £3 :)

I have also ordered some new wheels, which I should see here next week,

Turini 17 & 18 inch Anthracite road car with Cap.JPG

Not your usual JDM Spec Wheel, went for some Speedline Type-2120 in Anthracite. Better offsets too, so should fill the arches a bit better without needing spacers.​