The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra parked up over winter (condensation problems!)

Andrew K

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rider - try researching before you spout your mouth off again.

As usual, you overlooked the OP's posting. Nothing new there. It related along the lines of winter storage. I think you just like to over engineer and an aviation thick gloopy product appeals to you. Some people who actually do use their motorbikes in winter swear by it compared to WD40 because its gloopier and doesn't wash off as easily. Now if you refer back to the OP, they are looking for something to largely act as a moisture repellent for winter storage. They are not going to be driving at 37,000 feet or thrashing around an elements exposed 12,000 rpm screamer.

I think the cat litter in socks is a fantastic idea, has to be some tantric crystals at 5 times the price somewhere though.

Funny that, think you'll find the OP is likely to go down the ACF route as the proof is in the test outcomes as highlighted in the links above. It is a brilliant water repellent and better than WD40 and doesn't need to be reapplied multiple times a year.

So because it's designed for aerospace it can't be used on a car?! Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Over engineering and protecting things is often a good thing.

If I was a fly on the wall I bet ACF will be making its way into your garage next week 😂😂 You're just too much of an arrogant dimwit to admit it.

This link may help you identify your issues. When a problem is apparent, a means to address it can often be found. I have headed multi-national companies and in that position you have to be capable of develop peoples strengths and assisting them to confront and hopefully overcome their issues. It would help in your professional life also. Good luck!

http://www.marketingeye.com/blog/culture/why-egomaniacs-have-to-have-the-last-word.html

This link may help you identify your issues. When a problem is apparent, a means to address it can often be found. I have headed multi-national companies and in that position you have to be capable of develop peoples strengths and assisting them to confront and hopefully overcome their issues. It would help in your professional life also. Good luck!

http://www.marketingeye.com/blog/culture/why-egomaniacs-have-to-have-the-last-word.html

😂😂😂😂😂 Think we should just keep this on-topic Rider as it is the OP's thread. Great link there thanks.

I had the same issue when the car was left in my garage. On really moist days I had condensation on the engine and one or two bits of white crystals on the polished parts. When I noticed the crystals I waited for a warm day and steam cleaned and polished the engine bay, started it up and warmed up to dry it off. I now spray WD40 on a rag and wipe it all over the engine over winter and it has seem to have done the trick.

I also don't have the car cover on it during the winter to help improve air flow ..

I have the same issue with my bay being fully polished

I just give it a wipe down once a week and run the car allow to warm up etc

No chance id be plastering all my polished parts in wd40 lol

I thought that too but it was easy to shift

ACF-50 spray mate. You can get it in an aerosol can or as a mist sprayer. Google it. Specifically designed for aerospace components and use.

I am amazed at how well it works, it leaves a very fine film of protectant on the area and is safe on electrics, plugs, paintwork, seals, rubber etc. You can use it practically anywhere except for brakes - obviously you don't want lubricant there!

Loads of people have posted up about how clean and well protected their engine bays are a year later after applying this stuff. Nor cheap at £15 a bottle but worth every penny IMO.

/QUOTE]

I will have a read up on that too Sheefa

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Essentially cutting through the crap and bickering, most metals oxidise in ambient conditions, that's just chemistry. Water and air will make your bolts rusty (steel) or white and fluffy (Ali).

High Moisture, high temps, high salt will all accelerate it. (note this means a heated garage isn't always great unless you ensure you get low moisture (hence the storage people offering dehumidified garages as heat alone is no protection in fact it's a catalyst)

So what everyone is suggesting in one form or another is a protective layer, that essentially stops the bare metal surface seeing air/moisture. Some are just coatings, some will perhaps alter the top layer of the metal chemically (think phosphoric acid etc)

You then have stainless steel and galvanising (zinc) that avoid the need for this because the oxides formed when these are exposed to air and water (ie they are being corroded) are transparent.

So your options are using materials that don't get effected or protect those as best you can that can/are.

Steel nut you could, place in acid (vinegar) to get the rust off, then dry and dip in phosphoric acid (coke) and then use an spray of some type depending on it's location ie visible or not.

So all coatings discussed will work to a varying degree depending on the conditions they are subjected to.

A few socks full of cat litter will do the same job in the cabin as those moisture bags :)

Agreed but you don't have too empty the Pingi bags or refill them, a few mins

in the microwave job done and back in the car.

Much less effort and zero mess :)

Funny that, think you'll find the OP is likely to go down the ACF route as the proof is in the test outcomes as highlighted in the links above. It is a brilliant water repellent and better than WD40 and doesn't need to be reapplied multiple times a year.

So because it's designed for aerospace it can't be used on a car?! Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Over engineering and protecting things is often a good thing.

If I was a fly on the wall I bet ACF will be making its way into your garage next week 😂😂 You're just too much of an arrogant dimwit to admit it.

/QUOTE]

Cheers Sheefa

Good info to know.

Think I will get some of this for when the Supra is in the garage on stands.

will take one less worry away about long term rust problems.

Cheers

Cheers Sheefa

Good info to know.

Think I will get some of this for when the Supra is in the garage on stands.

will take one less worry away about long term rust problems.

Cheers

/QUOTE]

You are welcome mate. It won't do any harm that's for sure and for minimum cost worth a try.

Would using the car over winter stop this problem? (Just for future reference for myself as I'd be using mine over winter as I won't have a garage next winter.

But for the op I'd use the Acf stuff sounds awesome!

Think it would help more from the heat from the engine, certainly keeps the alloy bits from oxidising I think, it's when like me the car hasn't been used for 3 months or so it doesn't do it any good.

Thanks for all the ideas and options everyone has given me :thumbs: didn't expect it to cause arguments so sorry about that guys.

I'm going to give the ACF stuff a try and just keep and eye on things a bit more often and wipe certain parts down that I can't use the ACF stuff on. :)

Thanks for all the ideas and options everyone has given me :thumbs: didn't expect it to cause arguments so sorry about that guys.

I'm going to give the ACF stuff a try and just keep and eye on things a bit more often and wipe certain parts down that I can't use the ACF stuff on. :)

You're welcome mate. Let us know how you get on too.

It's not caused any arguments as such. Rider and I have history, I'm often right and he's just an old loaf living in a hermit hole. Settled 😀