Ebay Bronze Aerotop

Scooter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy hell.

What a bloody mess!

Gotta admit though, who goes to buy a car then buys and drives off in a different one with nothing more than an "agreement"!?

Found this in that thread, looks much more damning http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?263371-car-not-as-advertised-horny_devil

Urgh... sellers like this... it would break my heart to wind up with a POS. Doesn't seem like there's any honesty in this market (outside forums in fairness).

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Undoubtedly the buyer was stupid / naive, but what Nash did was inexcusable. You get the impression by the wanted posts on Facebook that he's patching cars together using cheap parts.

Yeah, cars coming out looking like Frankenstein. Worse still is his MOT shadyness, from that thread he's very clearly passing cars that shouldn't be going through, that's criminal, let alone shady.

This has made me want to find a vehicle inspector for this weekend... Any recommendations? RAC/AA don't want anything to do with 20-year-old cars.

Edited by Wonga Spar (see edit history)

Undoubtedly the buyer was stupid / naive, but what Nash did was inexcusable. You get the impression by the wanted posts on Facebook that he's patching cars together using cheap parts.

That's almost 100% what's happening.

I buy parts and stuff from the FB group but would never buy a car from any of the driveway traders on there.

Yeah, cars coming out looking like Frankenstein. Worse still is his MOT shadyness, from that thread he's very clearly passing cars that shouldn't be going through, that's criminal, let alone shady.

This has made me want to find a vehicle inspector for this weekend... Any recommendations? RAC/AA don't want anything to do with 20-year-old cars.

See if there's a club member local to where you're going. Which car is It?

See if there's a club member local to where you're going. Which car is It?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-1995-3-0-Manual-NA-28767-Miles-/112178018932?hash=item1a1e54ba74:g:C9wAAOSwal5YDLoC

Low mileage might lead to a few gremlins that need ironing out but seems un-chavved which goes a long way. Or hold off a bit longer and wait for Kendos to have a few pics as it seems to have received a lot of love.

I wouldn't bet on that mileage being genuine, but then id suspect a lot of these cars have been clocked at some point. It doesn't matter, so long as the paperwork stacks up.

The fact it has a seperate fog light fitted indicates it's been in this country for a long time, so be extra vigilant when looking for rust. If it looks like it has literally just had thick underseal applied around the sills, just walk away. :)

Looks like a nice, unmolested car on the face of it though.

Mileage must have been silly low when it was imported in 2002, it only had 16000 on it when it was MOT'd in 2006

Find that really hard to believe

The seller says it passed the MOT in October with no problems when it actually failed its first attempt

Test date3 October 2016 Test Result Fail Odometer reading 28,760 miles

MOT test number 9378 4005 1476

Reason(s) for failure

nearside rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)

nearside front Headlamp excessively deteriorated so that the light output is severely reduced (1.7.5a)

Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)

Horn not working (1.6.2a)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-1995-3-0-Manual-NA-28767-Miles-/112178018932?hash=item1a1e54ba74:g:C9wAAOSwal5YDLoC

Low mileage might lead to a few gremlins that need ironing out but seems un-chavved which goes a long way. Or hold off a bit longer and wait for Kendos to have a few pics as it seems to have received a lot of love.

If you go see that black one let me know, I can come give you a second pair of eyes at the viewing.

Much appreciated fellas, I'm writing up a list of things to ask him about today, one of which will definitely be about paperwork over the years proving the mileage is consistent. Bit silly of him to lie about the MOT when it's public knowledge, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it's just laziness, and none of the failures are really red-flags.

Really appreciate the offer Mike, I was considering putting up an ad or something saying I'd offer a member a few quid to help me out on the day. If the seller holds up through the interrogation this afternoon I'll pm you :)

Seller is working all weekend but his friend is a trader and has agreed to conduct the handover if necessary (assume this isn't a red-flag).

As always, thanks for the advice fellas, hopefully this won't draw on much longer and I'll be posting juicy project logs rather than endless buying questions!

I think he is going tomorrow and would appreciate the second set of eyes. It's thin pickings right now and it looks fairly reasonable ABS and all stock under the bonnet (bar what looks like a new horn which fits in with the MOT fail), could even use the £4,995 silver manual NA at Restless Customs as a bargaining tool, ie use the line "Well I could have that and get some dealer protection etc".

Roof dent could be a pita to sort?

Seller is working all weekend but his friend is a trader and has agreed to conduct the handover if necessary (assume this isn't a red-flag).

Not a deal breaker, but definitely reason to be extra vigilant. If money is changing hands with a 3rd party, make sure you get a written receipt from him, that he's signed, confirming the full amount has been handed over and he's counted it. I would also get a photo of his driving license and the reg plate on his car. Really camt be too careful with this stuff.

I hope not :(

I would be waiting for car from a member, unless you find a 'genuine' proper private seller.

You certainly don't want to make a massive mistake, and if you buy something thats in very poor condition it will cost you a fortune.

Your better off waiting for the right one, rather than thinking anyone is the only option.

;)

• 2 months later...

So i bought the car late december. I will admit i have only been out in the car twice so far. Lets start out with exterior, the exterior for a 24 year old car is in really really good condition. Very few stone chips, no scratches that a detail will not sort out. Lights have not faded or cracked which i found impressive so are either replacement set or cars been in a garage its whole life. Paint, all the bodypanels are the same Anthracite colour so i don't think its ever had a respray and all panels align up as they should. (This is my 3rd supra).

Interior

The interior of the car is overall good however the seats themselves have started to change shape from the foam just wearing (luckily i plan to change to bride seats) however its more minor than im making it out to be, being very picky. The drivers seatbelt doesn't retract, tried cleaning it out. This sadly did not work so new one ordered and fitted already.

Rust

The car has a tiny bit of rust in the boot which i have already got a qoute to have sorted and booked the car in for. Going for the full cut out rather than paint over it cheap fix. Underneath the seals are in brilliant condition. No rust what so ever on any part of the car except for the rear suspension arms which is a very common thing on these supras.

All in all a very good shell.

Mechanics, not really bothered as they work but i have ordered a 2jz gte and v160 from japan to convert her to a tt6 and i have also got my hands on a big case diff!

I am looking forwards to the future with this car and must say Nash was very helpful bringing it to me to inspect before buying and pointed out all the niggles on it before i agreed to see it.

Met nash the other week had a pair of engine mounts off me, seemed like a nice guy. Same with mobeen seemed like a nice guy also. I cant comment on their work on the cars obviously as i have not seen that. But they seem like decent people. They have family and children.

You have to remember its their job to make money on cars and parts. Well Nash's anyway. Thats his income to provide for his family. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just how it is. Keron does the same thing.

Met nash the other week had a pair of engine mounts off me, seemed like a nice guy. Same with mobeen seemed like a nice guy also. I cant comment on their work on the cars obviously as i have not seen that. But they seem like decent people. They have family and children.

You have to remember its their job to make money on cars and parts. Well Nash's anyway. Thats his income to provide for his family. Theres nothing wrong with it, its just how it is. Keron does the same thing.

Yea but Kerons a proper business man. He looks after his customers, sells good quailty parts and offer refunds if need be.

These guys dont. Do they. Im sure keron would never dream of flogging a dangerous car to a customer let alone purchase one to begin with.