The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JAE 2016 Feedback and suggestions.

Al Massey

I had another brilliant JAE and massive thumbs up and thanks to Al for organising, and to Rosie, Adi and all the other chefs for the hard work in the kitchen.

Lastminute.net was great and we are going to have to win it next year :D

As for suggestions, other than minor details like more lights and more wood for the fires, i have nothing to add. what makes JAE a great event for me is the people and the club atmosphere so lets go for bigger next year. I went through some old photos on my pc and found this from my first JAE in 2006, gives us a target for 2017 :D.

JAEgroup_001.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had another brilliant JAE and massive thumbs up and thanks to Al for organising, and to Rosie, Adi and all the other chefs for the hard work in the kitchen.

As for suggestions, other than minor details like more lights and more wood for the fires, i have nothing to add. what makes JAE a great event for me is the people and the club atmosphere so lets go for bigger next year. I went through some old photos on my pc and found this from my first JAE in 2006, gives us a target for 2017 :D.

Holy flip thats a lot of Supras. That looks simply awesome.

Will definitely try make it next year.

I am going to risk prodding the ants nest, but why is there bad blood between JAE and MkIV? Is a shame when that sort of thing happens but it seems to come hand in hand with any inter-society meet in my experience.

@Girth45 do you mean only people who physically own a Supra or only members of this forum? I think provided someone shares the love/passion for the Supra they should fit in with the family?

RE lighting in the marquee etc - have you thought about LED striplights? We bought some for our wedding and have stuck some up in rooms of our house as they look nice. But if you do a full perimeter of a room, and turn them on white, its actually quite a lot of light. Theyre dead cheap and super low power consumption (I know people that have run strips over night on AA battery banks).

Thanks.

If I could get half that for next year I'll be happy :)

Holy flip thats a lot of Supras. That looks simply awesome.

Will definitely try make it next year.

I am going to risk prodding the ants nest, but why is there bad blood between JAE and MkIV? Is a shame when that sort of thing happens but it seems to come hand in hand with any inter-society meet in my experience.

@Girth45 do you mean only people who physically own a Supra or only members of this forum? I think provided someone shares the love/passion for the Supra they should fit in with the family?

RE lighting in the marquee etc - have you thought about LED striplights? We bought some for our wedding and have stuck some up in rooms of our house as they look nice. But if you do a full perimeter of a room, and turn them on white, its actually quite a lot of light. Theyre dead cheap and super low power consumption (I know people that have run strips over night on AA battery banks).

There was an incident with another club a few years back.

And also we are renowned for not participating in any event, even though apparently we sign up for it, and just arrive on mass, sit in our corner and just drink.

That will change though, which we did this year.

And LED strips is a good idea.

I will buy some for the club :)

There was an incident with another club a few years back.

And also we are renowned for not participating in any event, even though apparently we sign up for it, and just arrive on mass, sit in our corner and just drink.

That will change though, which we did this year.

That's unfortunate, but glad that people are working to put it behind them.

sign up, turn up and drink is the very best way in participating in any event! At least I know you guys are doing it right! ;)

Thanks for answering regardless - good to know these things!

That's unfortunate, but glad that people are working to put it behind them.

sign up, turn up and drink is the very best way in participating in any event! At least I know you guys are doing it right! ;)

Thanks for answering regardless - good to know these things!

There hasn't been an incident in years, but for years we haven't taken part in the competitions or events at JAE.

But we did a bang up job this year, and will do better next.

We should win the IKO at least :)

And I'm hoping for best club too

On behalf of me and Beccy we both had a great time, was nice to see Beccy was welcomed with open arms and she was amazed by that! We both had a laugh and was nice to catch up with old friends and new. We will both come again next year.

I cannot fault anything on our stand personally as I think its always spot on for a weekends camping. I was annoyed with the JAE "plastic" security they had in place, mainly for the reasons that occured on the Saturday night. I hope we can build a better bond with JAE themselves, I just hope they can appreciate that we will win the IKO next year and not have such an issue with us. Which is a shame really as we are great group of people. But on the whole another amazing JAE!

Until next time.......:D

Yep OK so ill bite.... what does IKO stand for and how does one go about winning it.

And why are we so confident we will win it?

I'm not so sure what the IKO stands for...

We are confident because this year we was a last minute entry....literally. And we ended up in 2nd place overall. Every other club puts alot of effort into preparation for the challenges and we literally rocked up, put a small team together on the friday for the each challenge and and came 2nd. So theres no reason why we cant come first overall next year with more preperation.

Yep OK so ill bite.... what does IKO stand for and how does one go about winning it.

And why are we so confident we will win it?

I don't actually know what it means lol

But will find out.

Westy signed the club up on a whim on Thursday.

No prep, no team just ran round grabbing people to do the competitions and we came second, only lost by 5 points.

So next year, dedicated team members and we know the rules and games, we will win.

We want it too much not too

I remember 2010 when there was a mahoosive space set aside & around 5 supras turned up,

There wasn't many of us on club aristo but we did the decent thing & invited those that showed, over to join us.

Action Jackson (iko) it's a knock out

I remember 2010 when there was a mahoosive space set aside & around 5 supras turned up,

There wasn't many of us on club aristo but we did the decent thing & invited those that showed, over to join us.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/b58856f7256eabd0c98df9cbcc4a0424.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160912/b2c735c812b971f2e963df65a26d52f0.jpg

Action Jackson (iko) it's a knock out

Yes we were very grateful for your hospitality! [emoji106]

Any more feedback or suggestions to make the club stand better for you guys next year?

I'm working on ways to reduce the cost for the stand too.

I think if we get a certain number, the cost can be reduced a significant amount.

But I also want to make sure you members have everything you could need or want at the weekend.

I want to get rid of the stigma of it being just camping in a field.

Because it's not.

Yes you may be in a tent to sleep, it may be in a field but JAE is so much more than that and it can be a lot more.

So if you have any ideas, just let us know.

First of all here is a message from Daz (my mate that came along for the weekend) on his facebook in case anyone missed it -

I cannot thank the members of Mkiv supras enough for the invite and hospitality and of course the endless banter at JAE this year loved every cold, wet and drunken moment of the event with you guys. Right from the start you guys showed me nothing but the best of everything.. Made some new friends and a TAN!!

TBH i think you done a cracking job organising it this year Al for your first time and i think most of the suggestions that have been listed is spot on, i will make a list below anyway of some of the ideas i have (even if they have been said before)

• Club trophies would be a good idea and give some more members a small bit of enticement to come along
  • More group games
  • Dedicated IKO team
  • A list of the members attending (with pics) like Konrad suggested
  • More/better lighting for the main marque and cooking gazebo
  • Only having a breakfast and dinner/late night bbq rota
  • Separate meal tickets in the club shop for members with dietary requirements (eg. vegetarian)

We really need to try and push for a bigger turn out for next year, i understand its not possible for some people due to various reasons (DBv2 the weekend before) but it really is a great weekend with so much laughter and it really does show you what the club is about! I know me, westy and MT will be trying to get a lot more of the Scottish members to attend as we know they would love it as well!

In reply to the posts about the bad blood between us and JAE, would it be worth maybe offering John/Nigel the chance to come and actually spend some time with us on the stand and get to know the members, so they can see that whats in the past is in the past and that we aren't like that anymore. I think taking part in this years IKO challenge actually opened their eyes to a certain extent by the end of the weekend and seen we were taking part! Its bad to say this but there's not chance we will win best club stand again until all this bad blood is gone between us all.

If we have the best stand because of the amount of cars, layout and entertainment for members, and everyone at JAE including the car clubs see that, there is no way we can't win.

And if we don't, then hey, we will try again the year after.

But yeah I agree we should do whatever it takes the get rid of the bad blood between JAE and us.

But I think Nigel and John will be far too busy for that at the event.

Just along the lines of whats been said and spoken about already, the cooking gazebo needs more lighting, especially for the late night bbq. I helped Axl and was using the torch on my phone to make sure the burgers were cooked.

Other than that we need to get any bad blood between us and JAE put to rest, rent-a-cops and organisers as im sure we all felt the love from them [emoji106]

You did well tho man and you should be proud of what you managed to achieve! Roll on next year!

/QUOTE]

We could so work in a kebab shop :p

In reply to the posts about the bad blood between us and JAE, would it be worth maybe offering John/Nigel the chance to come and actually spend some time with us on the stand and get to know the members, so they can see that whats in the past is in the past and that we aren't like that anymore. I think taking part in this years IKO challenge actually opened their eyes to a certain extent by the end of the weekend and seen we were taking part! Its bad to say this but there's not chance we will win best club stand again until all this bad blood is gone between us all.

Where has the bad blood thing come from with the JAE organisers? The only thing I know of is from Billing 2005, we then went on to win best club stand at Peterborough in 2007, so I thought we were all good with JAE. Is there something I've missed that has happened in the years since?

Club numbers have been steadily increasing at JAE since the small number of us at Wickstead in 2012, and 2014 was one of the best JAE's for a lot of people, and 2015 had large amount of club members camping and on the stand I thought. I think the issue with this years was perhaps it wasn't promoted early enough? Which I know will change for next year. I unfortunately couldn't make it this year for the first time in many years, but the main issue for me and many others that decided not to attend this year was the cost. Allan priced the club stand spot on, but JAE have gotten greedy, for what is just a two day show. The previous years we've been able to increase numbers by persuading members to pop along for Saturday night and try camping just the one night, then the next year they have been more keen to maybe try two. Saturdays have always been a big day on the stand, with people been able to rock up on there weekend off work, pay for a day/overnight ticket, pay for a club pass for the night, and party the afternoon and night away. JAE need to bring back day tickets, as the cost of £190 (£160 if bought by the end of August) for JAE tickets and stand passes for a couple who want to take part and turn up Saturday day and camp one night like most members use to is just too much money.

I can't wait to be back in attendance next year, and yes us regular good little JAE'ers will suck up the cost and still go, and like me moan about how much I fucking hate camping!!! Lol And yes I'll moan about how much JAE are ripping me off for two nights camping, because I can only handle two nights, but it's about seeing all the people I don't get to see from year to year, Scottish members mainly.

But now look at it from a new member or a JAE virgins point of view, who are the people we need to attend to keep the event going for the club. It can be very daunting to commit to spending three nights camping to get their moneys worth from the cost of £160 to £190 per couple with an unknown crowd who are obviously already very close JAE friends. They are more likely to want to try a Saturday night for their first year, and day tickets like years before is the only way to make that happen.

The bad blood is our rep of turning up on mass, staying in our corner drinking, causing a nuisance to our neighbours through noise and not participating in the events.

Westy signed us all up to the events via Nigel, but as it was full we were on the reserve list.

On the Thursday afternoon there were empty spots but we weren't placed in the competition.

When asked why, the response was "because mkiv supras never f*#king turn up"

That definitely changed this year, especially by coming second in the whole competition.

Which will be first next year.

The cost is an issue with some people, and hopefully we will get the go ahead much sooner from Branners this year.

I'm working on planning and prep as of yesterday.

Next year will be bigger and better.

I'm looking at reducing our costs, to help those who think it's expensive camping in a field.

It's not just camping in a field.

There is so much on offer.

The competitions, the fun fair, other activities and stands.

I did find out that security was expensive but a must this year due to the venue and not JAE.

The cost rise isn't their fault.

JAE haven't got greedy, all their costs need to be covered.

But all members need to praise the event and not slag it off, which did put members off.

Wether we take part in the competitions or not, JAE is about us club members getting together and having a laugh.

And this year was better than most years.

Even with the low numbers, as far as I can tell, everyone loved it.

Day tickets would help JAE and us more, but if there are no day tickets then we need to show new and old members why it's worth coming.

We had a pasta meal this year, but was a complicated meal so maybe a change,

It wasn't complicated. It's ridiculously easy, aside from getting large quantities of water to boil, and doing it in 2 batches due to it clashing with an IKO event.

I think all the main points are already covered, the stand outs for me:

Better lighting in the cooking area (The strip light was good but you need them all sides)

Better cooking facilities

Incentives for the helpers

Quieter genny

Drop some meals

Better lighting in the Marquee. Those flashing lights are hard work!

Control the weather better

Loved that we got involved in events this year.

Me and Chris really enjoyed ourselves this year. We attended thinking due to the low numbers that it may not be as 'great' as previous years but actually it was better as we got to get to know members more - so came away thinking it was well worth attending.

Many thanks to Al for organizing, everything went smoothly. Also thanks to the cooks for the brilliant meals, a nice variety which is much better then burgers each meal! Definitely get your money's worth through the club tickets.

As for the club attending the JAE events - well done to all who participated and winning us 2nd for our first year - hopefully will show JAE organizers that we are 'down with the kids' and not the naughty ones in the corner

Echo all suggestions for next year - as we have a big plot, we had masses of space to do more activities - inner competitions is a great idea. With my 2 years with Celica club, they would do inner club trophies for categories such as:

Best daily

show and shine

best engine bay

best mascot

Member of JAE

Maybe we could do something along these lines? slips would be handed out on the day for some of the trophies and people to vote, whilst they would have a voting page for 'best celica' (or supra in our case) on their forum before the event for all members to vote on categories then awarded at JAE - all about club spirit etc.

Other than that, as said before, thoroughly enjoyed it!