The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JAE 2016 Feedback and suggestions.

Al Massey

Hello,

JAE 2016 has just finished, I believe it was a very good event with no issues.

But there is still things we, as organisers and members do to improve not only stand, but the event for us and for JAE too.

This year was the first in many years we did the IKO competition, thanks to Westy signing us up last minute.

To say it was on a whim and we wasn't prepared, ready or even had a team for anything, we came in at a very close second.

We proved many people wrong about our club and our previous behaviour and attitudes, it was great to see.

And again, a massive thank you and congratulations to Benjy for stepping up and winning the endurance event, resulting in a nice trophie, some HKS racing engine oil and a HKS turbo timer.

So this thread is for anyone who did attend, to put up some feedback, good or bad, in order for next year we can make it bigger and better.

There is no such thing as "bad" feedback so anything can be said about any aspect you didn't like or feel comfortable with.

It's also for anyone who did or didn't attend to write any suggestions on what they would like for next years event.

Anything we can do to make the event better for you, the members and make it a more enjoyable experience.

And hopefully we can make the club respectable again at one of the biggest show weekends of the year the better.

After all, our club stand is for you and to show off what our club can offer to new members and what a great community the forum offers.

So please feel free to post your feedback, suggest anything you can think off for the club stand and the venue.

Many thanks

Al Massey

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few chats over the weekend, here's a few that I have remembered.

Light snacks and sandwiches for lunch.

This would hopefully reduce the spend on food and drinks which will result in a cheaper club stand ticket, and will also relieve the burden on cooking and washing up.

A quieter generator.

Something which will be done for next time as I have a year to search for other co panties that offer quieter equipment, and hopefully get better prices.

New club gazebo/tent.

The current gazebo, which is used regularly throughout other events has now passed away.

We held a memorial service, and thanked it for its service to the club.

I will look around for a suitable replacement.

Getting another large gas canister to use as a spare.

This will remove the need to rush out during the event to get a refil when gas has been expended.

Breakfast.

I introduced other foods for breakfast this year, something I think went down very well instead of just square sausages and buns.

Had too many eggs, and cooking them was a bit of a nightmare at times, but I think we got there.

Maybe carry this on for next year, with smaller sausages and have eggs if people want them?

Games/activities/entertainment.

We had a lot more games year thanks to JoJo.

We have a few ideas for next year.

A volleyball/badminton net (the ball will be a soft one because of the cars)

A few more beach/outdoor games?

Edited by Al Massey (see edit history)

Ok I will jump straight in. The BBQ needs to be repaired, the piezo ignition needs replacing shouldn't be too difficult. We need a decent sized gazebo which is designed to get wet, preferably something that doesn't have a flat roof as water can easily puddle and get people wet. Also need some lighting for the gazebo as the people who cook at night struggle to see anything with one light. We could also do with a couple of gas burners to heat things up on. The BBQ is ok at keeping things warm but boiling a large pot of water is almost impossible! A microwave would be useful. Perhaps some more knives for cutting things up plus some general cutlery for butter knifes etc. A quieter genny would be good.

I enjoyed the breakfast this year and both evening meals were great. I like the idea of perhaps sandwiches or quiches for lunch, other than burgers.... The swing ball was genius, plus anything else that would get more people involved the better, weather permitting! I think I heard some members mention about having a interclub show and shine trophy? More wood for the fires. I recon another 4x bags would have done it. I will post more when I think of things. Oh t-shirts for next year's IKO competitions..... Lol

Yes to all suggestions above, the microwave especially as this solves many food requirements for some people.

If numbers for next ear look low then maybe invite another club to share the stand and obviously the costs. We all know members with other car clubs.

Maybe a hot air blower could replace the fire pits.

That is something to get started with.

Inazone

I will speak to Wile about getting a quote to fix the BBQ and see if club funds or members who use it the most can maybe volunteer and chip in the cost.

I'm already looking at a few gazebo/tents for the kitchen area.

My iPad just ran out of power lol

Lighting I'll have a look for.

The light I provided worked quite well I think?

So will look for similar.

Gas burners are a good idea, I will work out costs, or if members bring some, I'm sure the funds could get the gas?

I may have sorted the microwave which I will donate.

Knives etc can be arranged.

I've got loads at work which will be binned otherwise so will get them.

I do like the idea of inter club show and shine trophies.

I had lined up more trophies but was a bit late in the game organising and money was an issue.

This will be looked at for next year, great idea thank you.

And I'll look into T-shirts for the IKO :)

Lee S,

That could be an option, but I'll be pushing for numbers all year, hopefully we will get more and I ask that all current members do the same.

We can easily get our club what it was again and start winning more competitions and get the club noticed.

We need more trophies :)

Hot air blower is good, but only when we have power if using a geny, which isn't ideal for night times.

Next year, we will be more considerate to our neighbours.

But Adi and I have spoke about UPS's and it's something we are looking into so we don't have to rely on the geny for power for the lights and music etc.

Hi guys, just going to chime in RE food prep problem - camping stoves!

BBQs are great for making nice, interesting food, but having a couple of stoves going (one usually with a kettle 90% of the time) is really useful so you have boiling water and can also do things like cook pasta etc. The little cans of camping gas boil water MUCH faster than butane/pentane gas bottles.

My friends and I like to do the old camping trick of cooking vats of pasta when theres a crowd of us - we cooked for 10 using 2 camping stoves in about 30 minutes. The washing up was 2 pans, chopping boards and the plates/cutlery. Took no time at all (especially if the beers are already open the time flies).

The meal also works at about 50p per head if you get the cheap pasta and own-brand mince meat.

However I have seen people talking about a microwave, that would also massively help the problem :)

Also RE gazebos etc - my mates and I always use large tarps to extend ours!

13575781_10204809207868917_2933382934292190037_o.jpg

Please excuse the... ahem, shenanigans in the photo :D Thats a cheap £20 B and Q gazebo with a £10 tarp strapped to a tree.

Hi Action Jackson,

Thanks for the input.

In the marquee, we have a large water boiler.

It's just mornings or when it's empty is our biggest wait/problem.

We had a pasta meal this year, but was a complicated meal so maybe a change, and on the Saturday we have a rice based meal like curry.

Usually ok.

We usually cook for around 40 people though so it's something we will look into thanks.

Reference the gazebo, it gets used for many events and we have tarps, but since it gets used a lot, it doesn't tend to last long and would cost the club in the long run.

But I will do a trip to camping shops and see what is on offer.

Also JAE is very open, and gets windy a lot and usually have heavy rain for one day so a small cheaper gazebo may not be our best option.

I'll look into that too.

Any chance of you attending for next year?

Hi Action Jackson,

Thanks for the input.

In the marquee, we have a large water boiler.

It's just mornings or when it's empty is our biggest wait/problem.

We had a pasta meal this year, but was a complicated meal so maybe a change, and on the Saturday we have a rice based meal like curry.

Usually ok.

We usually cook for around 40 people though so it's something we will look into thanks.

Reference the gazebo, it gets used for many events and we have tarps, but since it gets used a lot, it doesn't tend to last long and would cost the club in the long run.

But I will do a trip to camping shops and see what is on offer.

Also JAE is very open, and gets windy a lot and usually have heavy rain for one day so a small cheaper gazebo may not be our best option.

I'll look into that too.

Any chance of you attending for next year?

Ah wow yeah our get togethers are only 10 - 20 so yours are considerably bigger. Is there no way you can bring the washing up so the people doing it are more involved with the group so its less of a chore perhaps?

Do you have both a marquee AND a gazebo??? Sounds very professional! I have seen some on offer in Homebase recently which are around the £100-£200 mark, which are more like market stall type gazebos with reinforced folding frames rather than just poles and a covering sheet. Might be worth a butchers?

I would love to come next year - time permitting and if I have something resembling a Supra (or if you guys can just let me in to the group with my rusty MX5) then I would definitely come. I had a peruse of the website and it peaked my interest but the wife had already made plans for this weekend just gone. Hopefully I will be able to come up with more relevant and helpful suggestions if I do attend ;)

Action Jackson,

Yeah we are big, and next year I want more.

Bigger and better.

We have a chef and washing up roster, just trying to make things easier for members.

Many do get stuck in and help out.

Yes, we have a 9x9 (9x10) marquee.

A gazebo for the kitchen (large gas BBQ cooker, small gas cooker, tables, and a variety of utensils)

A walk in trailer fridge

A generator/power

Inside the marquee we have a tall fridge, a tall fridge freezer, a large water boiler, a toaster, sound system, projector and PlayStation 3, lights, now have a phone charging shelf :)

Once details are available, a new thread will be up.

I will push and push to get more.

Several members who don't have supras or didn't bring them do come in other cars.

So an Mx5 wouldn't be an issue.

I will look into other gazebos for the club.

Cheers

Just along the lines of whats been said and spoken about already, the cooking gazebo needs more lighting, especially for the late night bbq. I helped Axl and was using the torch on my phone to make sure the burgers were cooked.

Other than that we need to get any bad blood between us and JAE put to rest, rent-a-cops and organisers as im sure we all felt the love from them [emoji106]

You did well tho man and you should be proud of what you managed to achieve! Roll on next year!

Main thing to watch for on UPS is power draw and battery management. We've got some pretty heavy duty ones at work (APC 10kVA up to facility stuff) but they cost a lot and the batteries are generally only good for a couple years with most of that time spent on charge/standby. If you do a discharge each night I think you'll be swapping the batteries out sooner than expected. A quieter genny or mains would solve a lot of issues. You're still playing music and dicking about while drunk, that's never going to be super quiet.

For lighting something about the same size would be ok I think, could just do with 2(?) more of them to stop shadows etc. Might also be worth a new string or two of lights for the marquee, the random strobe patterns are, urm, interesting.

Did anyone eat the tomatoes at breakfast? I don't think I saw a can touched apart from opening and cooking. I liked the sausages personally, I know they're a pain to cook though.

As an idea, would it be worth dropping lunch entirely? There are traders with decent food there and we spent a lot more time out and about this year. It also frees up a cooking and washing slot each day.

Just along the lines of whats been said and spoken about already, the cooking gazebo needs more lighting, especially for the late night bbq. I helped Axl and was using the torch on my phone to make sure the burgers were cooked.

Other than that we need to get any bad blood between us and JAE put to rest, rent-a-cops and organisers as im sure we all felt the love from them [emoji106]

You did well tho man and you should be proud of what you managed to achieve! Roll on next year!

/QUOTE]

Thanks bud.

I feel we as a team accomplished a lot and it worked great.

Main thing to watch for on UPS is power draw and battery management. We've got some pretty heavy duty ones at work (APC 10kVA up to facility stuff) but they cost a lot and the batteries are generally only good for a couple years with most of that time spent on charge/standby. If you do a discharge each night I think you'll be swapping the batteries out sooner than expected. A quieter genny or mains would solve a lot of issues. You're still playing music and dicking about while drunk, that's never going to be super quiet.

For lighting something about the same size would be ok I think, could just do with 2(?) more of them to stop shadows etc. Might also be worth a new string or two of lights for the marquee, the random strobe patterns are, urm, interesting.

Did anyone eat the tomatoes at breakfast? I don't think I saw a can touched apart from opening and cooking. I liked the sausages personally, I know they're a pain to cook though.

As an idea, would it be worth dropping lunch entirely? There are traders with decent food there and we spent a lot more time out and about this year. It also frees up a cooking and washing slot each day.

The UPS's won't be used to power everything, just hopefully lights and music but not necessarily the sound system, maybe phone and speakers for the quoted hours.

I know we will still make some noise, but loud generator and loud music upsets out neighbours.

Adi thinks he can get some cheap, and I have a couple at work so will see how it goes, worth a shot.

But yeah, having mains would be miles better.

I'll look at more string lights for the marquee and kitchen.

I know a few who ate the tinned tomatoes, but they were only a few pence for the tins so not a drama, was just there in case anyone wanted it.

I'll be getting less eggs next year too.

Spoke to Alex West's mate who was a chef and he's given me a few pointers and said will help out next year.

With lunch, I was thinking of just having the bread and sandwich fillers available so if anyone wanted it, they could help themselves and could be left there for a an hour or two.

But yes, dropping the chef and washing is agreeable.

Firstly me chrissie and Murphy had a great time , well organised just such a shame more members don't come ,

We discussed start organising earlier to get more interest.

Inter club trophys , great idea, maybe some of the traders could donate trophys.

Better marque lighting , get us noticed at night , i could bring our christmas lights.

Work on changing the attitude of jae , as still feel the dislike they have for our club.

Looking around i felt we had the best set up and stand, i tjink our car park attendant needs to return to organise the cars in the best way.

Really enjoyed the new breakfast ideas.

Maybe some throw away bowls ,plates , and cutlery would be a good idea.

I personally thought the price was good , drinks and food and 4 days with mates, priceless!

And a special mention to our scottish family , the true meaning of commitment to the club , shame more members dont feel the love.

Edited by girth45 (see edit history)

R. I. P Gary the Gazebo

Ok. My turn . Although i was not there from the start. I could see all the helpers were doing there jobs well. On topic of helpers , i think we can manage to change people each year, just to give some a break.

I agree with a lot of what has been said already.

Sharing the club stand, Hmmm. This is my opinion . We are the mkiv supra club . I know numbers have change over the years . We still need to concentrate on bringing our club members with cars to this event . I know some dont like the camping bit,thats fine. I know a few that were not on stand this year( traitors lol) and some that couldn't make it. I have also heard some say yes we will be there next year.

JAE v CLUB really , about time this was put to rest. Enough said.

I think i speak fir one or two now, Ref kit and van. If there is a club member who is close to the event ,and not 5hrs away , could we get the kit closer . This is something that has been done for a few years now, is a ball ache job. Dont get me wrong, but just a thought.

Thats me done. Still a good jib done by the Team

Best car.

Piss head of the show.

Team player trophy.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and i personally would like to keep it a supra owners club meet.

I like them ideas :)

Sounds fair about being a supra owners club only.

Hopefully next year we will have more members coming so won't need to open up to others.