The mkiv Supra Owners Club

June 2016 price guide

Scooter

But again, that's market manipulation at work. Over the years there has been so much embellishment and conjecture regarding the differences that people have believed it.

It used to be about compliance with regulations ie it was nigh on impossible to import a j spec to most European countries, I think it's less hard now.

Some of the prices I've seen are just ridiculous. Some sellers seem to think they can get back the money they (imho!) shouldn't of spent abusing a perfectly good stock car. Basically, you don't.

Just like you can spend £30k on a new kitchen and bathroom and it will add cock all to the house's sale price. Next owner will just rip them out and put their own one's in.

The kid that I got my latest MK4 off must of spent a fortune taking the stock exhaust off and replacing it with a bonkers 4" straight through pipe. Needless to say, I have sourced a stock exhaust and will be selling his neighbour waker as soon as its off!!! Lol

I'd say 4.5 is about average for a decent nick auto NA, but then one has just gone on ebay for 2.6!!!! All it seemed to need was a few paint spots sorting. People who insist on the rarer setups have to expect a caining ... supply and demand....

Spot on.

You've missed UK Spec TT Auto & 6 speed from your list.

Well feel free to add them and your own estimated bandings, it was only ever about starting the general discussion and how the generally accepted 2014 values quoted have definitely increased. It will be interesting to see if they continue to rise, stabilise or even drop (I think a major drop will only happen with a major economic event where the whole market gets hit).

I'd be interested to hear any precedents for other similar cars which have hit the bottom of their depreciation curve, then rapidly climbed in value (almost doubled in 3 years) and then crashed again. I can't think of a single one.

There are so few around now (relatively speaking) that if a market crash was on the cards, owners would hang on to them instead of losing a load of money, which would keep values buoyant.

Personally, I don't see values dropping, at all, for many of the legendary 90's Japanese tuner cars. Most were never replaced by anything truly better than them, (except for arguably the Z32) and certainly not as over engineered.

If you think there's loads of new parts available. You're on crack. from someone who's checked. There's very few turbos and the price is extortionate for the few second turbos that are left (no first turbo). There's no gearboxes or parts relating to it. lights are rare and engines etc are a no go.

You're probably right, even now the Supra prices are nothing really compared to Nsx's and R34's.

However the Supra has from around 2000 been a performance bargain, attracting a non badge snob, power hungry owner with normally one eye (or both!) firmly on value for money. It will take a different owner I feel to propel the values up significantly. You see former Supra owners on here moving on to the next vfm (relatively) high powered option the GTR and are IMO unlikely to come back?

I know there doesn't need to be many new owners for such a small market but it will be interesting to see if the desirability/demand stays as the prices rise.

You only have to look at prices in the USA to know where Supra prices are going to head once the market opens up there for imports as drivers or donor cars. The £50k stock Supra TT6 is not far off. Having owned my Supra for over 18 years my definition of far might be longer than others making everything relative.

If you think there's loads of new parts available. You're on crack. from someone who's checked. There's very few turbos and the price is extortionate for the few second turbos that are left (no first turbo). There's no gearboxes or parts relating to it. lights are rare and engines etc are a no go.

Non turbo auto :thanku::D

Lights are available, when J land runs out, America will sort it out :D

But again, that's market manipulation at work. Over the years there has been so much embellishment and conjecture regarding the differences that people have believed it.

Not really no. There has been a wider demand for UK specs in Europe given ease of registration, that's a fact.

Well feel free to add them and your own estimated bandings, it was only ever about starting the general discussion and how the generally accepted 2014 values quoted have definitely increased. It will be interesting to see if they continue to rise, stabilise or even drop (I think a major drop will only happen with a major economic event where the whole market gets hit).

I guess in like for like condition the UK specs will always float above what the jspec is going for. I think the fact less of them sell perhaps casts doubt over that; ie what did the last UK TT 6 go for compared to a comparable Jspec? Your figures suggest £17k for the jspec and the black uk TT 6 that was up for sale then wasn't was being valued above that on here only last week.

I guess in like for like condition the UK specs will always float above what the jspec is going for. I think the fact less of them sell perhaps casts doubt over that; ie what did the last UK TT 6 go for compared to a comparable Jspec? Your figures suggest £17k for the jspec and the black uk TT 6 that was up for sale then wasn't was being valued above that on here only last week.

For me having a UK spec Supra is just handy for insurance. Having a good condition rust free car is more important to me then anything else. When I had my front bumper off my j spec when it was in the bodyshop It looked brand new, Even underneath. At the end of the day I would over pay for a car for its condition/Spec weather it will be J spec or UK.

- - - Updated - - -

If (and I doubt it'll happen) the new Supra gets made, what do we think that'll do to values?

/QUOTE]

Didn't make a difference to the R34's when the R35's came out that's for sure

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

If (and I doubt it'll happen) the new Supra gets made, what do we think that'll do to values?

Nothing, because the new "supra" will be plug ugly and you will need to take it to the dealership to put oil in it. It's like saying what has the F-type done to E-type values! Lol

I'd be interested to hear any precedents for other similar cars which have hit the bottom of their depreciation curve, then rapidly climbed in value (almost doubled in 3 years) and then crashed again. I can't think of a single one.

There are so few around now (relatively speaking) that if a market crash was on the cards, owners would hang on to them instead of losing a load of money, which would keep values buoyant.

Personally, I don't see values dropping, at all, for many of the legendary 90's Japanese tuner cars. Most were never replaced by anything truly better than them, (except for arguably the Z32) and certainly not as over engineered.

Agreed.

Value will not drop for the Supra, it is not in a bubble. This is not the housing market we are talking about, it is about a car which was made and very few of them are around nowadays in a decent condition.

I missed out on a 20k NSX before, infact I saw a ropy one going for 15k which needed a little TLC... who would have thought the NSX's would go up in value like they did.

Those that don't understand, I am sure will say... after all, it is just a Honda.

Supply and demand, welcome to the market. By the way it is 35k for a ropey Supra here in the UAE and only 2 for sale at the moment.

This is why I'll be garaging my current MK4 (NOT selling it on for a song in the UK) when it gets to much like hard work dragging my old ass in and out of it!!!!! :p

I know where you are coming from, in the 90's I was hopping in and out of the Supra. Now almost 20 year later its looking before I park up to make sure that I can open the car wide enough to get out and should I roll out or crawl out. Some things age better than others and Supras tend to age better than their owners.