The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some more bad news RE: Getrag V160 / V161 gearboxes

j_jza80

Way ahead of you J....

I used to manage the Global insurance programme for Magna who recently purchased Getrag and I got in touch back in late June with the Global Risk Manager there to see what "could" be sourced.

Latest response from our friends over the pond below below: You are right though :)

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Monday, 25 July 2016

Subject: RE: Help ! Getrag Gearbox

To: "Elter, Doris (GLOBAL)"

Cc: "Greg Wheatley ([email protected])"

Hi Doris,

Thanks very much for your email below. I am copying my colleague Greg who is the person in need of the gearbox. I am sure he will be very interested and most appreciative of the postal address and data of this company so he can reach out to them directly.

Thanks Doris !!

Best,

L

Linda Stojcevski

Director, Global Risk Mgmt

Direct: (905) 726-7906

Cell: (647) 283-2307

Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2016 9:07 AM

To: Stojcevski, Linda

Subject: Re: Help ! Getrag Gearbox

Dear Linda,

my name is Doris Elter and I am responsible for Service & Aftermarket at GETRAG.

Timo has forwarded your request to me and asked for support.

The situation is as follows:

GETRAG manufactured the very final batch of this transmission type end of 2015.

These were delivered to Toyota Service.

We are now out of delivery obligation and we do not have any parts and / or transmissions.

If you are interested in the postal address and data of this company, please come back to me.

Have a good start of the week!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Doris Elter

Director Platform Service & Aftermarket, GETRAG

Magna Powertrain

GETRAG Getriebe- und Zahnradfabrik

Hermann Hagenmeyer GmbH & Cie KG

Hermann-Hagenmeyer-Straße

DE-74199 Untergruppenbach

OFFICE +49 (0)7131 644 4475

[email protected]

http://www.getrag.com

What about 350z transmission? I know of 2 supras in Poland that are singe turbos and have 350z gearboxes. Owners said their works lovely and are much cheaper than V160/V161

conversion kit from US:

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/2jz-to-350z-stage-4-kit.html

I looked into this. A good option the ratios match up near enough perfectly and a cd009 gearbox is £600-£800.

I messaged a few tuners in the states and they have been putting 900hp through them but said its a gamble at that power. You also hear the gearbox failing on a lot lower powered cars too. Apparently it's quick shifting they don't like, normally 3rd.

So does that mean that V16x boxes are now worth 300 quid as opposed to 3 grand, basically as they're a hand grenade waiting to blow?

I think I'd be most in for the 8 speed IS-F box as well. Toyota family, easier to fit, still quick gear changes and can use paddles.

But what about this 'driver involvement' pushing a clutch pedal gives you? Or whatever people bang on about ;)

So does that mean that V16x boxes are now worth 300 quid as opposed to 3 grand, basically as they're a hand grenade waiting to blow?

If you are selling any I'd be more than happy to take as many as you have at £300 a time. With most Supras now only doing 50 to 1000 miles a year the boxes should be good for another 1,000 years.

Why are you selling it mate?

Because it's worth a decent amount now. If I blow it going above 700hp then it wasn't fit for purpose. It'll be fine for 600 but moving forward it's a high value box for lower powered users. An r154 is a good investment for 500hp in my opinion. However above and beyond or even a hard driver it's still a risk.

Which is why everyone owning 6 speed is concerned. As transmission options are reducing.

If I go BMW e46 m3 box then im covered from a reliability viewpoint.

Financially Id pay more to know I'm not snooker in myself. Which I've done on my second r154 box.

That mag box from the USA looks like a good swap!

But what about this 'driver involvement' pushing a clutch pedal gives you? Or whatever people bang on about ;)

Far from I'm my opinion.

Hand grenade waiting to go off? It's made no difference to the capability of them. Just will be harder to fix.

What naturally will happen I expect it supply goes down. Demand goes up as does the price.

I have personally never bought that. You've had a GT-R you know where I'm coming from :D

I've got an auto, but the manual driver involvement thing for me only comes down to both ends of the performance envelope. Low speed playfulness easy mini pull away drifting from T junctions, doing an on the spot 180 or doughnut etc, even in an NA! Then at high speeds and really pushing on where a Supra auto could unsettle things or not be right in the power band (think bignum single auto vs manual)

If you have control of the gears (I.e - paddle shift) that isn't an issue though.

Perhaps not with higher speeds and more gears the upgrades would have but I still can't see how you can shock the rear into breaking traction at low speeds with one like you can with a clutch? Unless some sort of launch control is an option?

Race car engineers spends their working lives trying to find ways of maximising traction and it seems odd to me that people choose a transmission and suspension setup deliberately conceived to encourage loss of traction at any speed, but especially at low speed. Is this because people see the fun in driving being deliberate low speed loss of traction? "Drifting"?

I think there is a certain degree of enjoyment in this at times yes, you have to be brutal if driving normally to unsettle either transmission type imo and I'm not willy waving it's just for me there were things I could do (especially comparing my old NA's) in a manual I couldn't in an auto, but can't think of anything performance wise I could do in the auto but not in the manual, that's all.

Ill stick with my R154, it can be rebuilt and upgrade parts are available for running high power

Id have been tempted to future proof it if a full 6 speed kit was around £2500-£3000 tops like a couple years ago, but £5-6k for a 20 year old conversion is just bonkers im really shocked people are paying that price given the fact if it breaks you are pretty much doomed

I have personally never bought that. You've had a GT-R you know where I'm coming from :D

Thats exactly my point lol. Me neither but anyone who's afraid/ignorant of autos seems to think the act of changing gears manually is driver involvement. Hell even my Crown bus you can select gears manually with buttons.

Another one I've not notied here is the Nissan 370z box there's a guy on YouTube I've been watching for a while has one in an S14 with a vvti 2j single turbo that is used for drifting and he's not mentioned any issues box related yet. I'm not sure what power he's running though