Tiptronic owners

j_jza80

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never experienced that, is it only when you have a speed delimiter installed that happens?

its only a problem over 130mph iirc at the end of third gear the car wont change up unless you back off then if you plant your foot again it will drop back into 3rd and go bang lol

When Syvecs work out the gear control strategy I would imagine a little bit of lateral thinking might allow them to suggest why speed delimiters are causing this. It would be a nice morsel to throw to the forum perhaps? There's a pretty large customer base here.

Is it not because the ECU control thinks the car is only traveling at 112mph? Or is there a little more to it?

When Syvecs work out the gear control strategy I would imagine a little bit of lateral thinking might allow them to suggest why speed delimiters are causing this. It would be a nice morsel to throw to the forum perhaps? There's a pretty large customer base here.

IIRC it's because the gearbox isn't mapped from the factory for over 112mph. So the gearbox is completely safe under that, and up to the ~130mph that the gearbox can safely drop down a gear.

The get around that the HKS SLD is supposed to provide is that it locks out two of the gearbox solenoids in place at over 130. I assume the Syvecs will do the same thing.

IIRC it's because the gearbox isn't mapped from the factory for over 112mph. So the gearbox is completely safe under that, and up to the ~130mph that the gearbox can safely drop down a gear.

The get around that the HKS SLD is supposed to provide is that it locks out two of the gearbox solenoids in place at over 130. I assume the Syvecs will do the same thing.

So with the HKS SLD in place will the box not change up from 3rd once past 130?

Yes :) but I couldn't get mine to work for the life of me. I know other people have had issues too.

My advice would be to get one supplied and fitted by Whifbitz or SRD. Then if there's any issues, you'll have some comeback against hks.

Yes :) but I couldn't get mine to work for the life of me. I know other people have had issues too.

My advice would be to get one supplied and fitted by Whifbitz or SRD. Then if there's any issues, you'll have some comeback against hks.

Ok thanks chap:) guess that is what I will be doing:thumbs:

One last question! When you say you can't get it to work do you mean the delimiting side of things or it doesn't stop it from kicking down to 3rd past 130mph?

I mean all the dash warning lights illuminated and the car wouldn't run properly :D

I checked, and double checked, and everything was wired in correctly. It may have been a faulty unit, but because I wasn't a HKS dealer, they refused to give me a refund.

I mean all the dash warning lights illuminated and the car wouldn't run properly :D

I checked, and double checked, and everything was wired in correctly. It may have been a faulty unit, but because I wasn't a HKS dealer, they refused to give me a refund.

Ok thanks for the info:)

Looking at toyodiy internally the boxes appear the same, apart from the valve body so in theory the IPT rebuild kit that contains the Raybestos plates and upgraded billet parts from ATF *should* fit. It's the way I will be looking to go when the time comes.

Supra T.T. 4-speed auto, Aristo 4-speed auto and Lexus GS 5-speed auto, all use the same "box" as Tiptronic; Supra, Aristo and Lexus GS.

The differences include a mix and match of; bell-housing, flex-plate, torque-converter, crank & t.c. bolt-size & strength, tail-shaft/section design, prop-flange fitting, fluid-lines, fluid-union, fluid-temp sensor, sump, dipstick-tube, dipstick, breather-system and alternative valve-bodies.

If a Tiptronic box gives up, using the Tiptronic valve-body and a few whichever odds & sods, another transmission can be made up from any of the above boxes.

Or any of the vice versa, or Hybridised with a Supra 2J-GE or Lexus GS300 valve-body for compatibility of this stronger transmission with; Supra MkIV N/A, Soarer 1J-GE & GTE, 2J-GE & 1UZ-FE, Lexus GS300 & 400, Supra MkIII GE & GTE ECU's.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Im another TTT :sly: owner, I have the HKS SLD2 installed with no speedo conversion as KM is all i need. I didn't really have it out until recently after i added the SLD, did 2 private road runs to 200kmph but not over it or into 4th im afraid. No more since as im worried that i may have a fuel pump issue. I've a Lexus IS250 steering wheel in mine too, blatant copy of OP.:D

It made messed around with my TRAC lights and produced a weird hesitation around 110 on mine IIRC. The car definitely felt better without it.

It's never bothered me too much as I won't drive it that fast anyway and there aren't many race track straights that you'll be pushing much more than 130 on a BPU car before its time to brake are there?

• 2 weeks later...