The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone gone BMW gearbox?

Rob_Mitchell

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given their sideways forward motion, and the tyre smoke, and their times for a given circuit, I would respectfully disagree :)

If you don't have grip, you don't have proper control of the car and can't be competitive any in way in drifting. Drifting is judged on proximity, clipping points and speed. If you don't have good grip you can't achieve any of them..

It's only sh*tters that aim to have no grip and run cheap tyres to mess about thinking they're 'drifting', but in reality if you ask ANY of the top competitiors or read up on it, grip is key. It seems hard to understand because to someone who doesn't follow the sport or anything that it's just cards sliding about losing control, but it's progressed so much in recent years and thats far from the case!

The figures for Mark Luney's SATS Motorsport 2JZ Supra are - 1111.9 Hp and 845.5 lbft torque. That's the sort of figures which are actually very common in the UK/IRE drift scene. And I know Jack Shanahan is actually using a BMW gearbox running at least 700lb/ft of torque and has never broken it.

Agree to disagree? :p

Edited by ashloys (see edit history)

Indeed, I agree to disagree, as I couldn't bring myself to watch it ;)

I enjoy watching most motorsports but drifting just does it for me. Tune into the live stream of the Irish Drift Championship next year and hopefully it'll change your mind ;) it's honestly much more interesting to watch than the British one! Although I do follow both..

If you are bored though do read up into some of the big drift builds and how the cars are set up, now a days the builds are insane! Mostly 100k+ cars. Even a 15 year old over here has an 800bhp 2JZ with a stage 4 titan motorsports head and full brian crower bottom end.. insane lol

Mark Luney runs a V160 gearbox with a triple plate Carbon Exedy and has never had issues. Jack Shanahan actually runs a Samsonas Sequential which he has been breaking all year along with clutch issues. Also, in the drift scene, these ABC adaptor plates have now started to cause major issues with people. Drive plates are actually cracking and splitting at the splines and also chewing up spigot bearings because they are not correctly doweled and on centre. Tilton plates have their issues too.

Finding the true centre is the tricky part with adapter plates, and they must dowel to both the block and the gearbox. This is why one offs are very expensive, but once the CNC drawings are done making more (on a CNC mill) is trivial. It's all in the detail. A proper sequential for stroked 2JZ turbo torque is going to be a 20K plus jobbie.

Whifbitz have just announced their BMW dual clutch seven speed auto conversion. It was in an e-mailed flyer. Very expensive once you add in all the bits and bobs, and if you are running at the upper HP / torque figures will need uprated clutch packs fitting. But for those who want something different and have deep pockets it appears a drive in/ drive out conversion is now available. I only glanced at it, but I think it will be considerably more than a brand new from Toyota six speed Getrag and conversion bits, and taht's assuming you already have the required S6 Syvecs needed to run it.

My thoughts exactly. If I was going to shell out loads of money on the supra... Then I'd certainly want to be more involved with the car and purchase a genuine 6 speed box. Besides... What will adding one of those boxes do to your car compared to a genuine 6 speed in terms of resale value of your car.

My thoughts exactly. If I was going to shell out loads of money on the supra... Then I'd certainly want to be more involved with the car and purchase a genuine 6 speed box. Besides... What will adding one of those boxes do to your car compared to a genuine 6 speed in terms of resale value of your car.

Depends if your building a car for yourself to enjoy 100%, A car as an Investment or a car that keeps ups with the Jones's.

I for one if I had the money would invest in that conversion, 80% of the time I just want to get A to B and an Auto is perfect but for the 20% I fancy a spirited drive then some flappy paddles would be ideal

Bare in mind the Whifbitz 7speed DCt has a few benefits over the Toyota V160/1 such as faster gearchanges, an extra cruising gear, downshift blipping (I like it...), launch control and wet clutch. If I had an auto supra with a decent build it's what I'd consider doing, even for the premium

That's a crucial question IMO. I wouldn't touch a car with a BMW 'box if I were buying again.

I was sponsored a brand new V161 from one of my sponsors last year and I bought myself a brand new V160 at the start of the year for less than £4.5k as a spare. Cheap if you go to the right places rather than relying on the online jumble sale lol We did consider a Quaife sequential box but they're £8k minus bellhousing etc. Plus I'm working on gearbox adaptor plates for various engines to a Z33 350Z box, perks of working for my old mans CNC machine shop :)