The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Failed MOT on drivers seat-Help

darren0405

my 93 3ltr failed MOT friday due to the drivers powered seat , it seems ok on right side but the left side wont go back and this failed the test.

I've looked under it and cant see any white screw that was mentioned in a previous thread, when you press the button the seat tries to go back but goes from side to side

any help or advice would be great guys

Darren

No idea of the wording of the mot rules (they're different for NI anyway), but a possible solution might be to remove the rear seats for the test? If there are no rear seats, it may not be necessary for the front seats to move forward and back?

No idea of the wording of the mot rules (they're different for NI anyway), but a possible solution might be to remove the rear seats for the test? If there are no rear seats, it may not be necessary for the front seats to move forward and back?

The seat needs to move forward and back as part of the test, not to gain access to the rear.

With regards to the seat, without seeing what's moving and what's not, it's impossible to say.

Wow, that's crap :/

Work this out then...

"Ball joint has excessive play" is a failure, be it suspension arm, track rod end etc and is covered by a dust cover, but a steering rack inner ball joint can't be failed, because you can't see it as it's covered by a rack gaitor. It's still a ball joint covered by something to keep dirt out.

Whoever makes the MOT rules has clearly never even seen a car and pulls the Reasons for Rejection outta their arses!!

It makes sense to me. If the driver's seat can't move backwards and forwards, how can a driver adjust it properly so they can safely reach the pedals? You could say that the main driver of the car will have adjusted the seat to his comfort and therefore doesn't need it to move, but that makes a lot of assumptions. Is there only ever 1 driver of the car for the rest of the car's life? Any named drivers? What about if someone else needs to drive it 3rd party on their own policy?

Maybe it's a bit Nanny State, but having a seat that goes backwards and forwards isn't an unreasonable request.

(If there are cars out there that don't have adjustable seats by design and are exempt from the MOT regulation, then that negates most of what I've said :) )

There are, some Marcos cars have pedals that move fore and aft instead, adjusted by an under dash knob. But the "as intended" bit covers that, as the Marcos' seats are not made to be movable... :) Some Cadillacs have movable pedals and seats, as do some XK Jaguars. Ford F150, F250 and F350 have them, road registered Radicals have them, as do some TVR's. No help to the original poster, just de-cluttering my brain so I can remember a round or two in the pub tonight ;) You know, if useless information was valuable I could retire...

I guess this doesn't count for those that are fixed and don't have the moving parts as I've not long passed :D

The purpose of the test is to check the mechanism is functional and secures when moved back and forth. If there's no mechanism, there's nothing to test.