The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MS Windows 10 "reservation"

Chris Wilson

I'll remain mildly sceptical about it until I've seen it in action for a few months. Are Microsoft still trying to have all devices run the same OS, and give the same user experience across devices like they did with Windows 8? I can't see how that can be a good thing. A laptop is not a desktop, which is not a phone, which is not a tablet. Homogeneity for homgeneity's sake.

I do like the move towards it being an incrementally upgrading OS, as long as they can support long-term improvements without carrying lots of obsolete code to support people with ancient hardware.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may or may not and one of my machines got the confirmation and my other machine didnt. Both running allegedly the same version... :innocent::innocent:

Check if the other machine has installed the recent updates

I'll remain mildly sceptical about it until I've seen it in action for a few months. Are Microsoft still trying to have all devices run the same OS, and give the same user experience across devices like they did with Windows 8? I can't see how that can be a good thing. A laptop is not a desktop, which is not a phone, which is not a tablet. Homogeneity for homgeneity's sake.

I do like the move towards it being an incrementally upgrading OS, as long as they can support long-term improvements without carrying lots of obsolete code to support people with ancient hardware.

I think personally Window 8 wasn't that bad, the really bad one was Window 9. Now that was horrible and like you mentioned its OS is more suited for tablet or a phone. But no point complaining the OS will be here soon and I for one is looking forward to it :)

I think personally Window 8 wasn't that bad, the really bad one was Window 9. Now that was horrible and like you mentioned its OS is more suited for tablet or a phone. But no point complaining the OS will be here soon and I for one is looking forward to it :)

I thought Windows 9 never existed.

First thing I did. Also checked for the GWX folders and dont have them on that computer.

9 Was terrible... so bad MS just want to skip right past it!

For those that arent sure, try the preview on a VM. I hated 8 on a desktop (totally hate 8 has changed to just desktops after using a Surface) but W10 is a nice balance between the windows of old and what they wanted to do with 8. I will be going to 10 but It wont be immediate. I will wait 6 months or so to see if there are any real issues with it before I clone the drive and stick it on.

Hmmm that reads a bit iffy. If you roll back from a recovery partition then you aren't really rolling back, you're starting from scratch. It doesn't matter much to me but it could be misleading for people to think that all their file system will be intact.

As with all major OS updates, leave it a month or two before trying it.

Most IT professionals I know will give it 6 months before doing it on their core PC.

By all means get your reservation in and free product code - that's good to do. Just please don't install it on day 1!

As for roll back - my loooong experience tells me this is risky. Take a hdd image as CW has done, if there's any chance you want to roll back then you can easily.

Windows 8 was so bad that M$ skipped Windows 9 just so that it could have a clean break.

Windows 8.1 is pretty good. I get what they were trying to achieve with a unified OS across portable and desktop devices - but the world wasn't ready for it yet.

Certainly an incredibly stupid move for the corporate customers as I predicted way back when I got whiff of the tiled start menu when it was first announced.

What I am very impressed with is how light weight they've made Windows in the last few releases. I have an 8" HP tablet running FULL Windows 8.1 that cost me £50 with a BT keyboard, mouse and USB storage it's quite usable too. Truly amazing really.

I agree Pete, Windows 8.1 is good. I've always felt people bashed it without even giving it a chance... to the point they don't even know what they're bashing - as per a post on this thread. The Metro UI has inspired, or could say, been completely ripped off by Google. Just take a look at their marketplace and their last keynote. For a moment I thought I was watching a Windows presentation.

I'm running 8.1 on both my Surface and PC. It's great for the Surface with the touch UI and my laptop merely boots to desktop while I still have the option to access apps I use. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about.

Most IT professionals I know will give it 6 months before doing it on their core PC.

This IT professional is rather blasé about upgrading to beta versions... but he has good backups and is well practised at reinstalling operating systems. :D

• 2 weeks later...
A quick update.

ALL of my pc's running W7 have now got the W10 update icon. It would seem even dodgy copies will indeed update at this time.

Yup that's right. Even fake OS's are getting the update. They want everybody to be on board for Windows 10. Only free for a year I believe

That's me out then.

Meaning the tiles are still there but they have add a bit of the Windows 7 feel to it.

Not a huge difference to be honest and I am not expecting a large shift, they have added Kortina which is basically like Siri to the build.

That's me out then.

try it in a VM fella.

Its a nice mix of 7 and 8 now. It was very easy to use as soon as it was installed. As with all MS o/s every second one is the better one!

Yup that's right. Even fake OS's are getting the update. They want everybody to be on board for Windows 10. Only free for a year I believe

I will only be swapping a few machines over to start with ( probably the laptop) to see how we go until I roll it out across my main machine etc

No Windows Media Centre in W10, so I'll be staying with 7.

Shame, as I just recently ordered a new phone and could have had W10 on both devices.

Not sure if it's to your taste, but it may be worth your while looking into Kodi. It's absolutely leagues ahead of WMC. I use it across all of my devices when I have MC on most of them. Kodi, previously XBMC, blows it clean out the water.

I'm not advocating W10 btw, I doubt it'll be for me, just think that most people could benefit from Kodi.

I know there are several media centre solutions out there that knock WMC into a cocked hat but as far as I can see many of them require endless jiggery-buggery to get the best from them. What I liked about WMC was that, against all my expectations, the damn thing just worked straight out of the box. In fact I only intended to use it as a stop gap until I went over to XMBC or something similar, but in the end I found I didn't need to.

Maybe I'll have another look at alternatives again to see if its worth upgrading.

I know there are several media centre solutions out there that knock WMC into a cocked hat but as far as I can see many of them require endless jiggery-buggery to get the best from them. What I liked about WMC was that, against all my expectations, the damn thing just worked straight out of the box. In fact I only intended to use it as a stop gap until I went over to XMBC or something similar, but in the end I found I didn't need to.

Maybe I'll have another look at alternatives again to see if its worth upgrading.

Kodi is most definitely worth it. It's as simple or as complicated as you like, as with a lot of things.

The thing I love about it most is you can create a mysql server database and it'll keep track of everything you've watched on all devices in your house. I have 7 devices hooked up to my server and it doesn't matter which device I watch something on, it'll keep track of where I'm at with everything.

To just hook it up to a server or play media locally, it's a complete doddle. It downloads all the covers and meta information automatically. It's quite stunning actually :D

I did play around with XBMC, but yeah found it really needed a lot of tweaking to get right. Not tried it for a while though, so things might be better now with "Kodi".

I'm currently using Plex, which I can't recommend highly enough. It just works.