The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a first car!

Chris Bailey

My cousin was 28 when he passed his test and got raped for it. It's not the maturity factor as such, it's more to do with how likely you are to bend it, which being a new driver, no matter the age, is more likely.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousin was 28 when he passed his test and got raped for it. It's not the maturity factor as such, it's more to do with how likely you are to bend it, which being a new driver, no matter the age, is more likely.

Man speaks the truth !!

A few interesting comments :)

The problem I have is my mind is pretty much made up on the civic, purely for the fact I love hondas.

As I've said insurance is only £200 more for the car I want than it is for the normal 1.2 corsa's, clio's that everyone has when they first pass.

But bearing in mind I'll be 21 when i pass my test so insurance companies will "assume" I'm more mature than a 17 year old who has just passed. I'd like to think im mature anyway :D

I'll do some quotes on the cars that have been suggested and see what comes back.

They care more about when your license was acquired, what caliber of car you are planning on driving and how long you've owned it for. Insurance companies don't like to assume anything.

In your case, fresh license, performance orientated car that you will buy on the day will set off red flags and cost you £££

I would probably pass your practical and actually get your license before looking into this any further, unless you are planning on getting it tomorrow then no doubt time will affect your situation.

That said good luck, with enough will power anything is possible.

The problem I have is my mind is pretty much made up on the civic, purely for the fact I love hondas.

How about an old school mk2 Honda CRX, quick, great handling and loads of fun.

If this is genuine, it's a very rare, low mileage example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-HONDA-CIVIC-CRX-1-6-16V-RED-2-LADY-OWNERS-GENUINE-MILEAGE-37-000-/261880006552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf943c798

How about an old school mk2 Honda CRX, quick, great handling and loads of fun.

If this is genuine, it's a very rare, low mileage example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-HONDA-CIVIC-CRX-1-6-16V-RED-2-LADY-OWNERS-GENUINE-MILEAGE-37-000-/261880006552?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf943c798

As nice and cool that is, £4000 is a little too rich for me. Bearing in mind I'll have to insure it aswell.

I do love a CRX though :)

As nice and cool that is, £4000 is a little too rich for me. Bearing in mind I'll have to insure it aswell.

I do love a CRX though :)

My first car cost £50 and needed an engine fitting, probably just as well it was cheap as I rolled it a year later! As has already been said, for the first couple of years I'd go with something cheap, that's not going to cost you a fortune to run/maintain and something that you can easily work on yourself.

Have you checked insurance cost on a MK2 MR2 NA? they can be picked up very cheaply and are a lot of fun.

Buy something cheap and get saving. It's a total false economy to do anything else. Give it two years and then get something interesting.

This is your best advice, the only other thing I would consider is something that can be insured under classic car insurance, so have a look at some retro honda's if you like that sort of thing? or look across all makes/models as you may even make money on the car when you come to sell up, you'll look different to the crowd of your age ( in a good way) and it could save a packet over a couple of years to put into a car you really want :)

Chris, avoid the black box idea, my cousin had one for his first year as it was a very large saving (same scenario as someone has mentioned already) he was driving home from work one evening about 12:30am and he slipped in the rain on a roundabout he got a call within two seconds saying he had been driving dangerous and lost control and was told to contact them the next day. When he did they said they have reviewed his driving style and due to his hard accelerations and heavy braking style they will have to re-start the insurance with a very large increase in premium... They are not worth the saving mate, they can see everything the car does!!!!

The civic seems like a great choice for a first car and I would 100% say get some quotes with dad/mum on as a second driver as this can make a large difference. I went on sisters insurance as a second driver on her cooper s when she first passed and it dropped by £800. Try admiral multi car if mum/dad happy to put some of the other cars on there? I've just done a re-quote for me & wife on our multi car and they have done the Supra with both of us driving (with the few mods declared) for £340 and her new A4 for £260 so might be worth a punt if you can?

Chris, avoid the black box idea, my cousin had one for his first year as it was a very large saving (same scenario as someone has mentioned already) he was driving home from work one evening about 12:30am and he slipped in the rain on a roundabout he got a call within two seconds saying he had been driving dangerous and lost control and was told to contact them the next day. When he did they said they have reviewed his driving style and due to his hard accelerations and heavy braking style they will have to re-start the insurance with a very large increase in premium... They are not worth the saving mate, they can see everything the car does!!!!

The civic seems like a great choice for a first car and I would 100% say get some quotes with dad/mum on as a second driver as this can make a large difference. I went on sisters insurance as a second driver on her cooper s when she first passed and it dropped by £800. Try admiral multi car if mum/dad happy to put some of the other cars on there? I've just done a re-quote for me & wife on our multi car and they have done the Supra with both of us driving (with the few mods declared) for £340 and her new A4 for £260 so might be worth a punt if you can?

Thats a joke fone to say that you drove badly

I know he was fuming!! The annoying thing is he's so not a 'boy racer' and generally lost control from lack of experience and whilst been massively shaken up by the fact he'd just crashed after 6 months of driving the last thing he needed was some moron calling him to say you've had an accident due to poor driving...

Aye man how about diss???? I is got a Saxo dat is well wicked, u is gonna look like a propa bad man in diss. It's a 1.2, but da big exhausts is so loud dat u swear it is a 1.6. Sick sound system dat is so loud u will get all da honeyz wanting ya.

If u interested, hit me up yeah? Nuff said, yeah boi!!

I feel sorry for kids these days when trying to get their first car on the road, life was simpler in the early 80's, I picked up a Hillman Avenger 1600 GL for £85, mot'd it and paid around £250 p.a. for TPFT!

Back in those days virtually all our first cars were RWD and had 145 or 155 x 13 wheels and tyres - a great way to learn about understeer and oversteer at speeds that you could recover from!

I would suggest something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-chevette-3-hatch-long-mot-drive-away-/161695010736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a5c60fb0 for a first car, learn how to drive on RWD and learn how to move on to Supras and other 'proper' motors!

I feel sorry for kids these days when trying to get their first car on the road, life was simpler in the early 80's, I picked up a Hillman Avenger 1600 GL for £85, mot'd it and paid around £250 p.a. for TPFT!

Back in those days virtually all our first cars were RWD and had 145 or 155 x 13 wheels and tyres - a great way to learn about understeer and oversteer at speeds that you could recover from!

I would suggest something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vauxhall-chevette-3-hatch-long-mot-drive-away-/161695010736?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a5c60fb0 for a first car, learn how to drive on RWD and learn how to move on to Supras and other 'proper' motors!

Great for learning how to drive in, instant death in anything but a fender bender :D

If you can deal with owning a non turbo variant of a car that is know for being turbo charged - a non turbo Starlet is a great bet.

We bought my partners for £700, put 28'000 miles on it and have just sold it for £700. In that time it was serviced thrice (£30 a pop), had two rear dampers (£50 for the pair), front pads (£16) and had two tyres (£68 for the pair fitted). I don't think motoring gets much cheaper than that really.

Oh and it averaged 43mpg doing relatively short journeys which I deemed pretty reasonable. It actually returned better economy than the official figures suggested.

I'm probably facing the same problem as the OP given that I'm approaching 21 & not had my license for a while.

I need to bring insurance down. So I went & bought a Yaris as a daily. I'm not being funny these mini things do the job. It gets me A-B & drives good, reliable starts first time (even in winter!) the beauty is parking this anywhere..., can get it to fit in-between bollards (when at Uni) you get the hint, the car Is nippy & takes you by surprise.

The downside for me is with mine being a 1 litre VVTI -...on motorway journeys it's not the best but you may want to get the T-spirit 1.3 in that case to help on the highway runs.

(My dad has got me under some sort of household policy insurance whereby I can drive anything up to 2.5litre providing the cars are under his name, so I take my bros A4 if I need the highway)

Now just waiting for me to turn 21 & wait for QUOTES on the Supra!