The mkiv Supra Owners Club

GT86 now £22k

Gaz6002

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wouldn't say its too much when compared to the list price but agreed it may sound a lot for a GT but here is list price to compare it against!

New £25000

Custom Leather £1600

Parking Sensors £295

Arm Rest £150

Mirror Caps (Stickers) £120 (Crazy expensive, I didn't know they where stickers when ordered them)

Pearl White £650

Total New £27815 so £5880 saving for only 6000 Miles isn't a bad price!!

I test drove one in Scotland a couple of years ago and it did handle really well. Trouble is it just takes too long to get to the corners by which time everything else has passed you and is long gone. Sadly it's just woefully underpowered and you do need to rev it's little nuts off. The synthetic engine sound that's pumped into the cabin I just find wrong and distasteful. The problem is though, after you've driven something like the Supra for so long, you expect everything you step into to have 320bhp and take off like a kicked cat. If I'd been driving something woeful like a Hyundai Atoz or a Renault Clio, the GT86 would no doubt feel like a proper little sports car.

Could get a gorgeous 6 speed single for that :innocent:

I was having this conversation with someone the other day Chris after going out in John's and telling them about his beast, he was saying yeah but roughly how much has he spent so I said what John reckons he has spent on it, he was like thats crazy to spend that on a Supra.... I broke it down that his Supra could beat any supercar and owes him only slightly more then a new GT86 think I know where my 20-30k would rather be spent!!!

Could get a gorgeous 6 speed single for that :innocent:

That's 21years old with part prices going through the roof it's going to be interesting what happens to supra prices over the next 5-10years. Its a shame I think if the gt86 had been around 400hp out of the box with a tuneable engine for the same money they would of sold like hot cakes. Until this drop for the same price you could buy the new right hand drive mustang 5litre v8 quad cam 32valve traction control /launch control/brembo brakes as stock, 6spd getrag box all the toys with 415hp and matching torque id rather have the mustang.

I test drove one in Scotland a couple of years ago and it did handle really well. Trouble is it just takes too long to get to the corners by which time everything else has passed you and is long gone. Sadly it's just woefully underpowered and you do need to rev it's little nuts off. The synthetic engine sound that's pumped into the cabin I just find wrong and distasteful. The problem is though, after you've driven something like the Supra for so long, you expect everything you step into to have 320bhp and take off like a kicked cat. If I'd been driving something woeful like a Hyundai Atoz or a Renault Clio, the GT86 would no doubt feel like a proper little sports car.

Yeah this is a issue as I struggled to keep up with a fiesta ST the other day luckily we found some bends and roundabouts where I could get the distance from him lol... Fingers crossed Toyota will bring out a more powerful turbo version as an option at some point!

Da fook are they for?! Pensioners?

Yeah I am getting old at only 31 lol... plus the rear end is a bugga to judge!

The 86 is ruined by that Drug Dealer toned Boxer engine it's a horrible noise IMO the only thing I can think of chavvier than a Boxer engine is a Golf .

Rant rant rant...

But any car fitted with a Boxer has quite a big handling advantage...

But any car fitted with a Boxer has quite a big handling advantage...

That's why the Drug Dealers love Imprezas they need all the help they can get being chased around the local council estate by the rozzers ;)

Don't any of you take that too seriously^^^

Anyway on topic the gt86 yes I test drove 2 on separate occasions I didn't mind them that much but at the time all I fealt behind the wheel was 30k for this thing that is flat as a fart just didn't sit right with me.

If Anyone wanted to be bored to death You could buy a Corsa and save 20k

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

So does that include the porsche engines ;)

Yes but I hate them for a different reason...

The Boxter,Cayman,some 911 models have the infamous 50/50 maybe it will maybe it won't fail IMS problem.

Then again when I was after a Cayenne Turbo they were riddled with ridiculous major common problems and Porsche wouldn't warrant over x amount after year one.

This is why I ended up with a Supra again...

Although I could whine all day about The A5s I've had over the past few months Jesus Christ poor build quality is a major understatement.

Stay well away from Audi/Volkswagon group utter trash.

Awwwww my Blood Pressure...

I hate cars recently..

While there are cars like the GT86 or MX5 on sale, I could never buy anything German. I can't imagine something like a Volkswagen Eos Convertible or an Audi TT coupe being described as "Great fun" or "Ideal for commuting during the week and track days on the weekend".

Also the GT86's steering is perfect, like a mk2 MR2.

While there are cars like the GT86 or MX5 on sale, I could never buy anything German. I can't imagine something like a Volkswagen Eos Convertible or an Audi TT coupe being described as "Great fun" or "Ideal for commuting during the week and track days on the weekend".

Also the GT86's steering is perfect, like a mk2 MR2.

I can picture the TTs as being pretty fun. AWD with a 'not terrible' amount of power and some decent handling. From Merc you'd need to head up their AMG range for anything 'fun for trackdays' etc. :/

As an original Celica enthusiast I could almost be tempted by one of these but they are just not "special" enough. A limited edition V6, kitted up could still tempt me I suppose.

Even then I wouldn't buy a new one.

H.

Well I wouldn't say its too much when compared to the list price but agreed it may sound a lot for a GT but here is list price to compare it against!

New £25000

Custom Leather £1600

Parking Sensors £295

Arm Rest £150

Mirror Caps (Stickers) £120 (Crazy expensive, I didn't know they where stickers when ordered them)

Pearl White £650

Total New £27815 so £5880 saving for only 6000 Miles isn't a bad price!!

So what's the price of a brand new one at cost price?

• 1 month later...
Being a Manager for a Toyota dealership I get to choose my company car and have had GT86's since launch day, yes they are underpowered but they are smashing fun to drive, they go round bends at any speed and come out the other side without any problems and if you really want to have fun you can turn off all computer controlled stability :blink: which is great fun!! I've had every colour currently available and have just ordered my shiny new 2016 Model GT Aero in Red :D yes the wing is a bit oversized for the car but it's something different and reminds me a bit of the TRD Supra wing so I thought what the hell... I've always chosen the 'Custom' leather option which is comfy and looks great with the diamond red cross stitching.

I really don't understand why people have a major dislike for them when they go and spend the same money on a Focus and in fact you can pick up a year old one (we've sold a good few) for the same money a new Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost I think I know which one I would rather own...

Just wondering if you heard any updates on a Convertible version

Jen will probably change her TT over the next Year and liked the GT-86 we borrowed when it first came out, but TT Roadster stole it for the convertible factor

She has said about getting the new version of the TT Roadster, but I am starting to go off the front end of the new one, it did go alright and the new Triptronic was massively impressive