The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New toy, gone old school R32 GTR :)

rob wild

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So the car is currently perfect with no issues :) So now I've proved to myself its a good base car I want to bring it up to more modern standards with a 500whp build. The idea is to focus on great response fast road / track build.

Stage 1 will be to swap the current turbo set up for a small single.

Just bought one of these :D

So looking at Tial MVS 44mm wastegates and either BorgWarner EFR 8374 or Precision 6262. Also planning some other mods with it so I can switch between vent to atmosphere or re-circulate.

Then adding the Link G4+ with a focus on Launch, Anti Lag and flat shift.

I'm also looking at adding HKS VCAM, just need to get a good price.

• 1 month later...

So little update, the car is going first week of Jan for the new single set up so thought I'd work on some custom OBD DIY CAN.

So had a busy morning and did the following.

So started off soldering the hardware (thanks to the sister in law for the early xmas presents lol)

No my best soldering, but everything works and I'll tidy up later!

So to the coding decided to go with a CANBUS.h lib's which use the MCP2515 chipset. Only really as I like the concept of using ecu request (I understand that this is only a layer of abstraction and the MCP functions are still capturing frames). Also there is no need for any front end PID filtering.

Unfortunately the CANBUS lib aren't that well documented nor is the hardware. So I had to do some editing of the core lib's what a PITA!!!

However the main advantage is keeping the main loop tidy for example:-

void loop()

{

Canbus.ecu_req(RPM, Buffer);

intRPMvalue = atoi(Buffer);

drawRPMValue(intRPMValue);

}

(borrowed your draw function Alex and rewrote parts to suite, hope you don't mind :) )

So did a bit of testing with the Wife's Nissan JUKE Nismo RS and then in my XFR. Seem to work fine in both:-

Not the best photos but you get the idea!

So offered a good friend some of my homemade Mince pies lol and he let me use his Cube 3D printer :) So he just dropped off what will be an Air vent enclosure, this was fairly simple to do i.e. sketchup then export to stl.

So going to use 2 of these with the JST header to connect to the Link

Also ordered a power regulator and a smaller 1.8" screen which I might mount behind the clock.

So moving forward I'm going to 3d print the buttons with the intention of that I'll allow the user (me) to scroll through 4 values (Boost, RPM, MPH, AFR) with the idea that the screen will show peak and current.

Going to include a nice GTR image on start up post can bus initialize.

• 3 weeks later...

So dropped it off for its single setup. Went for the following spec

Raw brokerage manifold twin scroll

Twin Open and re-circed screamer

Turbo wise went with a Garret gtx 35r

Tial mvs 38mm twin gates

3 1/2 inch down pipe

Link G4+ with a aircraft style high low boost switch :)

Power goals wise Andy @ Speedtech is fairly confident of 600 fwhp but I want mega response!

Updates very shortly as Me and Sted are doing Silverstone on the 15th of Feb!!! Can't wait!!!

• 1 month later...

So just a quick update :)

New spec list :)

Updated Spec list

Engine

Complete engine overhaul

Trust sump Extension

Trust front diff cover

After market oil pump

HKS step one 264 camshafts

HKS adjustable cam pulleys

HKS 1.2mm head gasket

HKSi inlet and exhaust gasket kit

HKS/Greddy intercooler piping kit

Trust front pipe

Samco top radiator hose

Custom hard pipe kit

Kakimoto exhaust

De-cat pipe

Rawbrokage Twin Scroll divided Manifold

BW EFR 7670 internal wastegate, blow off valve, twin scroll

3" Downpipe

K&N Airfilter

Fueling

660cc Denso Injectors

Greddy fuel rail

Auto Staff fuel pressure regulator with fuel pressure gauge

Nismo in tank fuel pump

Cooling

Greddy Intercooler

ARC alloy radiator

ARC air separator tank

Grex oil filter relocation kit

Greddy Oil cooler kit

Brakes/Suspension/Drive

Rebuilt gear box at time of engine build

NISMO copper mix clutch (very easy to use)

Cusco rear LSD

Trust larger capacity rear diff cover

AP 6 pot front callipers good discs and pads.

Braided brake lines

Apexi coilovers

Cusco front and rear anti roll bars

Adjustable pillowball lower and top arms (very rare)

Front adjustable top arms

After market front tension rods

Interior/CPU/Controllers

Link G4+

Android Flip out HU

Hesemi racing bucket seats

Sparco steering wheel

Exterior

18***8221; Works Emotion alloy wheels

Michilen Cup2 tyres

Nismo rear spoiler lip

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick update after doing some testing at Silverstone.

First thing, this new set up is seriously good and makes for a very enjoyable, fresh, modern, punchy drive.

I must say in hindsight I should have waited and taken my Teg to Silverstone, for a few different reasons but mainly the combo of Cup2 tires in less than 2deg, with still icy parts of the circuit meant I had to be very careful when letting the power in. So after a while of trying to push on and the car sliding I decided to just back off.

However I felt the car was much more controllable with this set up as its very progressive making full boost 1.45 bar by 3900rpm. One thing I really noticed was on the motorway, just cruising at say 2000-2500rpm as soon as you touch the throttle its boosting.

Just for reference I over heard in the pits that the car in front had been remapped so probably 700hp :) and with traction control lol

Yes I know my lines weren't great and I was being very careful with my throttle input! I can't wait for May as I'm going to take both the Teg and the 32 to Cadwell!

So moving forwarding with the car, still thinking about engine swaps might go RB30 with it. Andy's got a few tweaks to do with the car (rolling launch lol) and I'll post the dyno print comparing it to the twin setup :)

However so far stock engine FTW :)

Very nice. I have just finished an engine rebuild on an R33GTR and on fire up found a bad oil leak, whilst it was still on the ramp. The no brand, Japanese after market 25 row oil cooler had split. Luckily I saw it immediately and it was only weeping. Mustn't have liked the fresh build oil pressure... Would have been nasty had it happened on the road. Engine damage and the possibility of hot oil all over the LH front tyre. Awaiting a new Setrab cooler.

White's the best colour! :)

That's just fantastic :cool:

Personally I wouldn't go RB30, it just seems to loose a bit of the RB26 screaming nature.

Yeah it was pretty epic lol :) Yeah I know what you mean about the 30's just want more torque and build something that could take 700hp :)

Very nice. I have just finished an engine rebuild on an R33GTR and on fire up found a bad oil leak, whilst it was still on the ramp. The no brand, Japanese after market 25 row oil cooler had split. Luckily I saw it immediately and it was only weeping. Mustn't have liked the fresh build oil pressure... Would have been nasty had it happened on the road. Engine damage and the possibility of hot oil all over the LH front tyre. Awaiting a new Setrab cooler.

White's the best colour! :)

Cheers Chris do like it in white!

Love to see some photos of the R33GTR engine build, what spec did you build? Have you built many Rb30's?