The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New toy, gone old school R32 GTR :)

rob wild

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow very nice !

you had some stunning cars thats for sure, i have a real itch for a 34GTR which will not go away lol.

There just out of my budget at the mo... one day .. maybe lol

Your not wrong, Ive got that same itch that is just not going away.

Good stuff, always like to see pics of R32 GTRs ;)

Cheers :)

Come on then you have had at least 12 hours to get stuff posted ;)

Ok so after doing some miles in the car down one of my fav roads its going to have some manners but back into it! You know the TG episode when James may turns up in the road going race Aston DB9, its a bit like that, this thing is extreme and savage! The spec doesn't explain what happens when you combined all these parts, it really is exceptional at pace and tbh a touch above my skill level, i genuinely scared myself, it turns in like nothing I've ever driven, whilst ripping through the gears and banging out flames. I think at the hands of someone that new what they were doing this would be a serious piece of kit on track.

Compared to my old R35 GTR its like playing wii bowling whilst sitting on the sofa then getting in the 32 is like you are the bowling ball and your being thrown at some pins hard lol night and day difference! Both great fun just very different!

However on the road and just driving round town its a nightmare lol (in a good way) :cool:

Your not wrong, Ive got that same itch that is just not going away.

Seriously don't come anywhere near this it really wont help! Its a smaller, lighter, more nimble R34 :D

So the plans over the next few weeks are as follows:-

Set up

HKS front strut brace

Full Geo and suspension set up with Rod@RB Motorsport

It turns out that the turbos are not Stock hybrids i.e. R32 turbos with steel internals they are actually HKS based turbos. So going for a remap to include high boost 1.4 bar as well as lowering the rev limit from 8500 to 7800 as the rods are stock and until/if I rebuild the engine I don't want them failing.

Interior

Interior needs sorting! The seats are awful and made for some one half my size lol :)

Going to update it to something like this only with Leather stock based seats keeping the red sticking:-

Not sure what to do with the Radio the speakers seem good but not sure what to do with the head unit, quite like these

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-avh-x7500bt_p-31184.htm

Exterior

Going for the carbon splitter as well as a refresh of the bonnet. Will look like this:-

Next bits to do

Single turbo kit

Twin pumps

Injectors 700cc

Link G4 ecu

Forged Rods

• 4 months later...

Some new photos:-

1994 R32 GTR

So after a very frustrating couple of months with it I finally thought I'd got it sorted with new Works wheels and some CUP 2 tires and just nice CF front lip to finish things off.

Anyway long story short I've got a track day booked (which I'm looking forward to with some faces off here :) ) and just took it back to RB Motorsport (who always look after me and my cars (top fellas)). So the final piece of the puzzle was to check the car over. However after some digging and more digging it turns out that the car has -5 turbos on but the bottom end is stock. I was under the impression and perhaps I totally got it wrong when I got it but thought that it was forged pistons and stock rods.

So (and I agree) Rod ended up remapping the car but kept the boost at 1.25 appose to 1.4/5bar which we would have done if the pistons had been forged.

To say i'm gutted is an understatement as I really wanted to enjoy the rest of the year in it then perhaps over the winter rebuild it with a small single (Whifbitz) and perhaps a Link G4 etc running 650hp. As much as the new map is better now Rods mapped it I've very much got use to the power and was desperate for some more power.

So not sure whether to just cut my losses and sell it on and just forget about modded cars for awhile and perhaps go back to R35 or build it with a forged engine? But obviously the build cost (10-15k), although I know R32's are going up in price atm.

The pro's of the car is that its very clean and I do mean that there is zero rust anywhere and its got some very expensive bits on it already and they are going up in value?!

So build or sell? Not sure if I'm done with modified cars tbh :(

Don't kid yourself, you'll never be done with modifying cars :D

Thing is to retain the value which is going up, ideally you would want to keep it stock. If you can spend the money and retain value so then you get a large chuck of your money back on resale then it is a no brainer.

I'd imagine the R35 GTR built block won't be cheap, then you have the transmission.

Thing is to retain the value which is going up, ideally you would want to keep it stock. If you can spend the money and retain value so then you get a large chuck of your money back on resale then it is a no brainer.

I'd imagine the R35 GTR built block won't be cheap, then you have the transmission.

R35 built is not cheap at all, but a stage 4.25 car is over 600hp, VERY capable and doesnt need a built block/transmission - as Rob already knows ;)

Not to mention that 2010 cars are holding value VERY well, especially if up stage 4. The stage 5+ seems to struggle to sell.

That is such a shame!!! 10-15k is a lot of money to sink into a car.... you know where I stand on this ;)

Good luck with your decision.

R35 built is not cheap at all, but a stage 4.25 car is over 600hp, VERY capable and doesnt need a built block/transmission - as Rob already knows ;)

Not to mention that 2010 cars are holding value VERY well, especially if up stage 4. The stage 5+ seems to struggle to sell.

Sell up.and go supra again. Lee has a customer with a good looking silver one.

Keep it :) it looks mint, I think you'd struggle to find one as clean again. And it is infinitely cooler than an R35.

Why not see if you can buy driftbears old engine and build that one up?

Thanks for the advice chaps. Think I've come to a conclusion.

I was driving the Jag then a R35 (a mates car) then just got back from a 'private' test track in the 32 and tbh I remember why I sold the R35. Don't get me wrong I love the R35!!!! but there is something about the driving experience of a R32, I mean as a technical exercise the 35 is just better in every way; apart from, today my under powered ( ;) :D ) 32 on my favorite 'narrow' test track holding the rev's between 5-8250rpm, spitting flames, and howling like a RB26 does put the biggest smile on my face :)

Since I posted this and a similar thread on the GTR register I've had 7 offers to buy the car off me, which is very flattering to know that I've got a good'un and other people like it :)

Had a long chat again with Rod today at RB and I think I'm going to do Cadwell and then sell it......only joking :D who am I kidding..... I'm going to build it into something special i.e.

Syvecs

os giken RB30 short block (9000 RPM and 1200HP capable)

Full Race EFR turbo kit

ETS upgrades

Not going to shoot for massive power but think around 750-800hp and 1400kg should do it :) but most of all be a responsive set up bit like this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2v9TNnqHc

Glad to hear it, shes a beaut!

Good choice ;)

Hear hear!!

Cheers chaps :)

good choice. At Cadwell Ill show you some of the features of the Syvecs and once you see that you will know its the ECU for you. Just need someone local to map it, which I'm sure Rod can do.

You might have to bear with me as its only circa 500hp :( but yeah would be good to look at the Syvecs :)

Have you are your Phil booked on? It's going to be great :)

I suppose if you intend to do more trackdays then the 32 is the car to keep.

Yeah track days is what I want todo with it :)

• 2 months later...

Summary of progress:-

1) Front bumper needed refixing - I added a CF front splitter

2) Wheels were replaced - Added some Works Emotion 18"x9.5" with some Michelin Cup 2 tires.

3) Geo and suspension set up was out, so had a full geo and then raised the suspension

4) Remap initially to check everything was ok, then dyno'd and remapped to 1.4/5 bar.

5) Full fluid change, Engine, Gearbox, Diffs, Brakes etc

6) Replaced boost controller for a turbo smart boost T

7) Changed the front wheel bearings after they started whining

8) Rear exhaust repair

9) Replaced the Hassemi seats for some stock seats

10) Replaced the old gators for some newer ones to tidy things up inside

11) New front and rear strut brace

I successfully completed my first track day at Cadwell Park.

So last time I was at Cadwell I was in my R35 so tbh I wasn't sure how this would go i.e. would I be a bit disappointed or not.

Well hand on heart no.......... I have to say I loved every minute of it, one of the best driver experiences I've done. The first thing I noticed was just how much longer I could stay out on a session without things getting hot! Which by the end of it I was lapping faster than I was in my old R35 but that was partly down to R32 being track honed and partly because I could have at least 5-7 hot laps without any issues. Must have done 60-70 laps :D

The important bit was just how much fun the 32 was, just a perfect balance of grip, power and brakes matched with driver involvement! I started off slowly with most stuff getting past or coming off (not joking on that at least 5 red flags with smashed cars!) but as the day went on and I learnt the lines and just what the car could do I got in a great rhythm, and had most stuff including an Atom move over and let me by.

What as also strange was the attention it got, I must of spent at least an hour chatting to folk that came over for a closer look and to take some photos, including 3 marshals that were massive 'Liner' fans apparently.