The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help a lady out please...Cooling issues

tephanie

hi guys..

Can u please assist me..

when i drive my BPU supra for about an hr or so my top radiator hose swell/expand dangerously wide...it s brand new hose as well(it happened with the old one.

I currently have a three core aluminum radiator and dual fans..

my temp gauge is on half..my aftermarket gauge is around 100-110

I have new coolant..there is no air pockets in the system

any suggestion??

Something i should mention>>not sure if its significant..the under neath of my engine has no cover ie..u can open the hood and stare at the ground between the radiato and the pullies

Stephanie

Edited by tephanie (see edit history)

Ditto with the radiator cap not venting the excess pressure.

Caps are available on eBay though some of the claimed TRD ones are overly cheap. Here is a couple of links to caps that may help out. Though you'd probably be better sourcing via the USA.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRD-Radiator-Cap-Toyota-Racing-Development-Supra-2JZ-Yaris-Vitz-Corolla-Starlet-/161469179546?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291177148332?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

The top one is for a 1.3bar cap and the bottom for a 1.1bar cap. Stock is 0.9bar so I'd plump for the cheaper 1.1bar myself rather than go TRD for the sake of it.

hi guys..

Can u please assist me..

when i drive my BPU supra for about an hr or so my top radiator hose swell/expand dangerously wide...it s brand new hose as well(it happened with the old one.

I currently have a three core aluminum radiator and dual fans..

my temp gauge is on half..my aftermarket gauge is around 100-110

I have new coolant..there is no air pockets in the system

any suggestion??

Something i should mention>>not sure if its significant..the under neath of my engine has no cover ie..u can open the hood and stare at the ground between the radiato and the pullies

Stephanie

Speak to Dodgy Rog, I believe he had a swollen hose recently ;)

The rad cap will have a blow off pressure figure on it, please post that figure. Please post a high resolution photo of the hose when expanded. Check the hose from the side of the rad filler neck to the overflow tank is clear. If you pull the hose off the nipple on the filler neck you should be able to blow down the hose easily, into the overflow tank.

• 2 months later...

Removing the themostat will make marginal cooling *WORSE*. the `stat is part of the cooling circuit and it's open part restriction part of the designed flow path. Plus Toyota ensured the 2JZ cooling system to be way over the top, their terrible issues with the previous Supra made them make *SURE* the next model was totally robust even in the hottest climates.

• 2 weeks later...
Removing the themostat will make marginal cooling *WORSE*. the `stat is part of the cooling circuit and it's open part restriction part of the designed flow path. Plus Toyota ensured the 2JZ cooling system to be way over the top, their terrible issues with the previous Supra made them make *SURE* the next model was totally robust even in the hottest climates.

This. Not saying its the cause of your issues but its not going to help. The 2JZ has a twin plate thermostat which not only opens up flow to the radiator when warm but also closes of the radiator bypass. By removing the thermostat you have opened the radiator flow AND the bypass flow, so you will have less flow going to the radiator than if the thermostat was fitted.

If you really did want to do this mod then you should fit a jacked open thermostat (i.e a thermostat that has been modified to always be open).