The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New project - Datsun 240z

grahamc

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of budget do you have in mind for the build?

I'm been a big fan of the Star Road and Rocky Auto cars and seen them up close at various shows and events in Japan. Big big money though, looking at around £100k for a ground up restoration with all the extra's. Obviously most of that is spent on labour.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Quick update

Just ordered up the final bits of metal I require (the rear inner arches) and as soon as they are done the car will be prepped to be painted. Sadly, still undecided on colour (gunmetal grey or blue)..........

Have bought:-

Wheels and tyres

Bumpers (bought ages ago)

Arch extenders (bought ages ago)

Fender mirrors (bought ages ago)

Side clear indicators (bought ages ago)

Have ordered:-

Repair panels

Front valiance

Front clear indicators

Rear strut brace

Master bushing kit

Still to order:-

Shocks

Springs

Going to leave the interior as it was for now (expect for refurbing steering wheel, gearknob and replacing a small broken panel) to see what state it is actually in, been so long since I actually had the car! But will eventually add/replace seats, seatbelts, harnesses and fix the dash.

That looks spectacular in that colour I think it’s the red/black combo

:) I love the red and black combo, hence the GTR being exactly that

Right now, that is in 1st place and this is a close 2nd

http://machine66.com/img/2016/01/Datsun-240z-.jpg

Found out who the owner is, he owned for a few years, fastest non turbo fuel injected 240z at Pod and its being Time Attacked this year. Trying to find full spec list

Guest S Kiddell

First post to introduce myself

I'm the owner of the 240Z mentioned

Thanks for the kind comments :), the spec of the car is huge but a few points

All steel engine (from a 280ZX) bored and stroked to 3 litres

Farndon Crank fully counterweighted

Long Carillo rods

JE slipper pistons

Custom CNC head

Custom valves, cam (my design), springs etc

Triple Jenvey throttle bodies

Emerald ECU

Custom tank with 300ZX turbo pump inside

S14a gearbox

Electric waterpump and Davis Craig controller

16 row Oil cooler

Large sump

T3 coilover struts and control arms with 300lb springs and Koni shocks

Quaife ATB

Wilwood brakes and polymatrix race pads

16 x 8.5 Watanabe R's with Trofeo R 245's (control tyre for Time Attack)

Carbon fibre shell seats, carbon bonnet, over fenders etc

Half roll cage

The list goes on, I built the engine and gearbox (well pretty much the whole car actually)

Car runs a 12.4 at Santa pod and 0-60 in 4

Dyno figures of 297 HP at the fly with 260 Ft/Lbs......not big by FI standards but 100 hp per litre with 2 valves and a single cam isn't to bad

Great fun to drive, we were shaking down at Cadwell trying to cure some under steer, learning in the process that excessive caster and camber don't always work

Regards all

Edited by S Kiddell (see edit history)

First post to introduce myself

I'm the owner of the 240Z mentioned

Thanks for the kind comments :), the spec of the car is huge but a few points

All steel engine (from a 280ZX) bored and stroked to 3 litres

Farndon Crank fully counterweighted

Long Carillo rods

JE slipper pistons

Custom CNC head

Custom valves, cam (my design), springs etc

Triple Jenvey throttle bodies

Emerald ECU

Custom tank with 300ZX turbo pump inside

S14a gearbox

Electric waterpump and Davis Craig controller

16 row Oil cooler

Large sump

T3 coilover struts and control arms with 300lb springs and Koni shocks

Quaife ATB

Wilwood brakes and polymatrix race pads

16 x 8.5 Watanabe R's with Trofeo R 245's (control tyre for Time Attack)

Carbon fibre shell seats, carbon bonnet, over fenders etc

Half roll cage

The list goes on, I built the engine and gearbox (well pretty much the whole car actually)

Car runs a 12.4 at Santa pod and 0-60 in 4

Dyno figures of 297 HP at the fly with 260 Ft/Lbs......not big by FI standards but 100 hp per litre with 2 valves and a single cam isn't to bad

Great fun to drive, we were shaking down at Cadwell trying to cure some under steer, learning in the process that excessive caster and camber don't always work

Regards all

Thanks for posting, its an awesome spec and some decent numbers for the car :cool:

Guest S Kiddell
Very nice, and as a multiple Farndon crank owner, I have to say you have impeccable taste in rotating engine parts :)

Who did the head, I think that is what threw me as to the engine's origin ;)

I really like Farndon cranks but just wish they did decent in house balancing, had to take the whole lot to Coventry balancing (now defunct I think)

Re the head, I wanted a good combustion balance so did some research on CNC machined heads, contacted Rik Wood at CNC heads, hugely knowledgeable guy, they did a great job, well worth the wait, doing it by hand just wouldn't get the results I needed, I then had a cam made to suit the flow and lift (585 thou lift with 307/8 duration), large high revving 2 valve engines really benefit from scavenging so had the lift on overlap set as big as I could get, as long as the gas speed is high it works really well

Ahh, Ric Wood, I know him well and used to race with (against) him. Have you used his engine dyno, it's a cracker?

Lovely motor, I daren't even think what that lost has cost!

I have to say I must have been lucky with my Farndon cranks, and they showed perfect balance. I had them done as I like to balance internals and externals individually and then double check as an assembly. Then I can just change a damper or flywheel without upsetting the whole dynamic balance of the engine.

I bet that trundles along pretty smartly!

Guest S Kiddell
Lovely motor, I daren't even think what that lost has cost!

As you know naturally aspirated power doesn't come cheap :(, I could have put an RB or a 1JZ or even a BMW M3 lump in it (as others have) for a fraction of the price but I wanted to keep the spirit of the car alive, they were never built as a forced induction car. The 1st 250 HP came fairly easily some years ago but the last 50 was a real squeeze, 100 hp/litre with 2 valves and 1 cam is a real struggle, but now its done I think I could squeeze another 20 or 30 out of it with a slight change to the exhaust valve and a little bit more compression (its already 12:1 static).

Nice to meet you last night Mr Kiddell, and as I said my favourite car at the track last night, hands down.

Thank you, its greatly appreciated.

Now all we have to do is get rid of the understeer and we are away....need to get my head around roll centres, Ackerman angles and steering inclination.

Once again fellas thanks for the kind comments.

Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...