The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is It Illegal to drive with 1 headlight? Edited.. Meet Captain Supra of the 7 seas...

a98pmalcolm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I once had a brake light out...

It wasnt illegal because one still worked and the lovely traffic Policeman who got his job with no qualifications told me so.

Was it the centre one? Because that is only an MOT fail if less than 50% of light sources illuminate. If it doesn't work at all, you have to give the presenter the benefit of the doubt as to whether or not the lamp is connected, pass and advise... 😊

No, I was always under the impression it was illegal. My MOT tester always told me they are not a requirement just like a centre brake light, but if they are fitted they must work and if not fitted none of the wiring can exist. So if the wiring harness is just hanging at the back it is illegal. If the loom has it removed or they were never fitted then its fine but only to drive legally in the day time.

No, I was always under the impression it was illegal. My MOT tester always told me they are not a requirement just like a centre brake light, but if they are fitted they must work and if not fitted none of the wiring can exist. So if the wiring harness is just hanging at the back it is illegal. If the loom has it removed or they were never fitted then its fine but only to drive legally in the day time.

You can't prove what the wires are for though mate. Same as if the centre brake light doesn't work, you're not allowed to test wires or remove anything to check the wiring. As long as the wires aren't bare, insecure to the extent of becoming damaged or pose a fire hazard, electrical wiring doesn't come into the test.

The MOT has so many loopholes that it's hardly worth bothering with.

You can't prove what the wires are for though mate. Same as if the centre brake light doesn't work, you're not allowed to test wires or remove anything to check the wiring. As long as the wires aren't bare, insecure to the extent of becoming damaged or pose a fire hazard, electrical wiring doesn't come into the test.

This.

Think about it, loads of cars have wiring in place for driving lamps, multiple fog lights etc but these may not be fitted depending on the spec or market for the car, but the loom and plugs are present with no lights.

Exactly this! Same with law tbh...its all technicalities, and technically anything can be argued.

If it were me, id drive it during the day, leave it at home during the night - simple. As mentioned above, if desperate and don't know what to do...borrow one. Sealing the headlight yourself is a very easy job, will take you 10-15 mins to do once its apart (which it probably already is). Nice bonnet btw OP ;)

Thanks for all the input guys :) and a thanks to shane for the offering . I knew my spelling would crop up some were. I should have used insulation tape not insulin tape haha...

I'm driving with the eye patch with plenty of bubble wrap behind. I feel pretty confident now after the 1st drive.. Its literally 10 mins if that.. No wires exposed or easily accessible...

Many thanks again for all the time and tips especially Benji I have noticed a lot of posts from yourself..

Believe it or not my neighbours are really cool. If any voices are around my car or if they feel there is a threat to it they will keep there eye on it with the phone at hand...

Oh BTW SupraP-Z its a Abflug bonnet thanks :)

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)