The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Today I got the chance to....

gordy.r

The "issue" for the O.P. is not having the plate makers name and postcode at the bottom of the plate, this is mostly substituted with a free advertisement for a car dealer which is just as "illegal".

I am off to a DVLA registered number plate maker today (Halfrauds were wanting £45 for 3 plates, 2 for the Supe and 1 for my Vespa which needs changed due to private plate that wouldn't go on the old girl) plus they said I'd have to wait for the square ones as they don't have them in stock.

I shall post up later what I come away with lol

I was surprised to see how big the plate was in post 3: I was expecting something that looks like the small print on a mortgage application form, but that one's not too bad from a common sense viewpoint.

There are serious crimes being committed every day, but IMO that's not a reason to stop chasing people down for the small stuff. Ignoring the petty crimes (e.g. not displaying a number plate, or having a teeny tiny plate) would be a very bad move.

Don't mean to high jack the thread but these are pathetic laws made up so that the government can get the police chasing people for money that shouldn't be taken! I think its pure disrespect to the police that they are used for tax collecting basically.

Well here is my update.....

Today I drove up to a DVLA registered number plate maker (as they had way more options available than Halfrauds) and they said I had 4 options, the Import Square plate, the UK Square plate, the Standard UK plate or a cut down UK plate. I opted for the cut down UK plate as pictured below above the import sized plate that came off my car:

WP_20140604_003.jpg

They also advised having a word with the Police reference the whole ordeal as from what I was saying they thought my plate I had on, may have been legal after all (with the exception of the makers mark and postcode).

So I took a trip up to my local Police station and asked to speak to the Traffic Inspector. The desk hand and other officers all tried to assist me with my query but when I told them the story and mentioned section 14a in the amended DVLA guidelines they were all puzzled and said they weren't really sure on the laws regarding import cars and number plate sizing.

So they got hold of a traffic officer as the Inspector was off duty and he confirmed that a grey import, which has not fitted with modified bumper or number plate holder, is allowed to run with a plate with characters which are 64mm in height, 44mm in width, a stroke of 10mm and 5mm from edge to lettering. He also stated that this was legal should a UK plate not fit within confines of the standard imported registration plate holder.

So.... here is my plate holder which I am assuming is standard in Japan:

WP_20140604_004.jpg

And it it is standard fit, then he advised me to take the matter to court and fight my corner as I should not have been issued a ticket.

Hold on I hear you cry, but you didn't have a makers stamp or postcode on the plate. Yes this is true, but that was not the offence that I was stopped for, the ticket states that my offence was "Registration Mark (Size, Shape or Character of Letters etc)" which does not relate to the makers stamp, and if they try and say that the wording "etc" covers that then I will argue that in that instance can you charge someone with "Assault, Battery etc".... I very much doubt that would stand up in court.

So, I have asked for the Inspector to call me back as I am keen to hear what his take on the whole matter is and to whether as not the ticket was issued as in accordance with the current Road Traffic laws. I am not wanting to go to court, but if my plate was legal in the sizing, shape and characters (etc), then I don't want to have to pay the £100. If it is deemed that I am in the wrong, then I will gladly pay the money and wind my neck in.

I will probably also modify my plate holder and fit the new plate as I really can't be bothered getting stopped all the time even though the cop did say just keep the legislation in your glove box. It could get tiring after a while and it just gives them an excuse to delve deeper around the car.

Thoughts anyone on this and similar experiences?

Edited by gordy.r (see edit history)

P.S. And for all those eagle eyed people among us noticing that the new plate doesn't have a makers mark on it, if you look very closely, it is embossed on to the plate along with the other mark on the right. This too is very legal and complies with DVLA guidelines. :)

Well Gordy, this is my fault as I made the plates before the new laws were introduced, and I can see from the top line you have not put a radius on the corners to allow it a proper fitting into the OEM holder. As in my pm earlier "w*****s" and that sums it up, and yes a VDR (vehicle defect report) should have been issued. How funny that they complain about a lack of public support, no s**t Sherlock.

Awesome writeup there Gordy. Glad you got it sorted out now and have the backing of a traffic officer.

Cheers mate, hopefully he will stick to his word if it all goes to court haha

Well Gordy, this is my fault as I made the plates before the new laws were introduced, and I can see from the top line you have not put a radius on the corners to allow it a proper fitting into the OEM holder. As in my pm earlier "w*****s" and that sums it up, and yes a VDR (vehicle defect report) should have been issued. How funny that they complain about a lack of public support, no s**t Sherlock.

No not your fault at all, as you said the plate has been through multiple MOT's and driven around the country with no problems, it seems the traffic police up here maybe aren't as clued up on the import laws as others. I have changed it as it is for now in the hope they will see the different plate and stop bothering me lol.

I shall see what the inspector has to say tomorrow (if he calls me) and take it from there. :)

What got me was, that they didn't even measure it. I know it is smaller than a standard UK plate, Stevie Wonder could tell you that, but if you're going to do me, at least show me the figures. Ho hum :-(

Do not pay the ticket! They have no evidence of the offence and it will be thrown out of court!

I think you're onto a winner and free entry to their hit list. ;)

Nevertheless, if Plod works out that the majority of number plate makers postcodes have been substituted with a free advertisement for a car dealer/supplier, they could mobilize the Dick Turpin Department and have a highly profitable Nick Fest. :D

You'd think they had better things to do :rolleyes: but I've been through this and to be fair the copper that stopped me was doing it on the say so of an oppo. and had my sympathies, especially when I said (respectably) that bikes don't even have them. Let me go on the promise of changing them for 'legal' plates. Good on you for chasing it through but why should the police be working on figures? Everything that has gone wrong with the values asked of the public services in this country. Waste of your time and theirs. Hope you sort it and get a good outcome.

Where did they pull you? Do I need to start watching out for these numpties?

It was in Dumbarton, just along from Our Lady's & St Pats.

I had them round the house today, as I spoke with a few officers up the station who didn't even know about the Road Traffic Act 2002 amendment 14a where an imported vehicle can display a smaller number plate if the plate holder does not allow for a normal sized plate, and I even spoke with the traffic Inspector the other day and he was a good guy too and even said he would have given me a 7 day notice to change the plate and not a £100 spot fine. Both the guys were sound, but still stuck by their ticket as I now have a normal sized UK plate on the car, albeit it does not fit in the holder. They even suggested I hack away at the plate holder to allow me to fit the new plate properly... but doesn't that defeat the purpose of amendment 14a!!!

Oh well, I shall see where I go form here, either way, I doubt I'll ever be putting that small plate back on haha

I got stopped at Tarbet the other week and had an argument with the plod about imports and plates etc. He said you should do what the Evo boys should do and move them to the side, I told him no as that looks sh*t and there was no further action lol. They did have a right good look at the car though so will probably be chatting again soon.

• 2 months later...

Well, suppose I best update this thread....

I didn't pay the £100 fixed penalty fine in the end and I opted to go to court over the incident.

Prior to receiving any documentation through the post I wrote off to my local Procurator Fiscal explaining the incident and the circumstances (it was a typed 4 page letter, there was quite a bit of detail lol) and I left it at that.

A few weeks later, I received a letter back from the Procurator Fiscal informing me that due to the information I provided and the circumstances that they believed there was not sufficient evidence or details to proceed with the case and that they would not be perusing it any further.

How happy was I! :-)

So it just goes to show, a sensible attitude and a little bit of interaction with the authorities can yield successful results.

Although I don't think I'll be putting the Jap sized plate back on any time soon lol