The mkiv Supra Owners Club

End of the Tax Disc

Guest Roger NE

Their are reports that each time you get a new car you'll need to tax it even if it might have tax left. The previous owner has to then claim the tax back. Is this true? Apologises if it has been mentioned on this thread, I haven't checked online either.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their are reports that each time you get a new car you'll need to tax it even if it might have tax left. The previous owner has to then claim the tax back. Is this true? Apologises if it has been mentioned on this thread, I haven't checked online either.

Never heard that one before.

Where is the line where people at the top are meant to provide employment? There is always this positive spin if someone opens a new shop or factory creating so many jobs. We then don't hear about the cost saving measures that are employed, losing them again further down the line.

The Supermarkets are best with the automated checkouts that never work properly. Now there are thousands of check out girls without even a crap job to apply for.

I disagree, yes supermarkets have automated checkouts but they still have plenty of check out jobs.

Actually Tesco employs more check out personnel than there are soldiers.

But eventually, no one will need to work, machines will do everything.

We've been building better ways of doing things, aids to help us since caveman times.

What surprises me is people are shocked that they get replaced by a machine and lose a job.

It's obvious we will head in that direction, just look at your normal possessions, mobile phone, motor vehicles, bank cards, internet have all replaced someone's job or the way we did things.

If you're buying a used car in a private sale how can we be sure its taxed if you're taking it for a test drive? Not all sellers are honest and may tell your it is taxed.

You can check in two minutes online.

That was from a bike magazine.

Not sure if it's true or not

Guest Roger NE

The reason I would like to see a tax disc if I'm driving someone else's car is that I can see that it is PROBABLY road legal.

I can see that it IS taxed (and not SORNed) . . . plus to get a tax disc you need Insurance and an MOT.

If it's not, what's going to happen?

If I'm driving a car that doesn't have any of those, then as the driver I'm the one who would be prosecuted!

And yes, once you have BOUGHT a car, the tax will be invalid, the previous owner has to cash it in and you have to re-tax it. (Can't see the logic in that at all!)

But quite honestly they really ought to just scrap Road Tax completely and just add 3p a litre on Fuel Tax . . . that would save ALL the admin costs completely!

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

The reason I would like to see a tax disc if I'm driving someone else's car is that I can see that it is PROBABLY road legal.

I can see that it IS taxed (and not SORNed) . . . plus to get a tax disc you need Insurance and an MOT.

If I'm driving a car that doesn't have any of those, then as the driver I'm the one who would be prosecuted!

No you're not. Besides, an MOT doesn't make a car exactly road-worthy anyway, and a tax disc is absolutely nothing to do with it. They're pointless, which is why it's good they're being binned.

All a tax disc proves is that at the time of taxing it had an MOT and Insurance. Doesnt mean that a few weeks later these both lapsed.

I dont know about you but I dont just drive anybodys car so generally they are a friend and i trust that it is insured and MOT'd

What about people who aren't computer savvy and would not know how to tax online or even check a vehicle is taxed online? My inlaws for example they are only in their 50s but not from the computer generation. This whole matter would prob put them off driving.

What about people who aren't computer savvy and would not know how to tax online or even check a vehicle is taxed online? My inlaws for example they are only in their 50s but not from the computer generation. This whole matter would prob put them off driving.

But why does it even matter? You can still tax it by post, in a post office or even by fax (IIRC).

They need to get with the times. My girlfriend's Nan is in her mid-eighties and is probably on par with most kids at the computer. She's surprised me on more than one occasion with the amount she knows :)

If it can be paid monthly by direct debit as per the other thread on it, that would be the best thing to ever happen in my motoring career :D lol

Guest Roger NE
No you're not

It's not your problem if its not taxed as you don't own the car yet

Are you trying to say you're NOT committing an offence if you drive a car without Tax, Insurance or MOT?

Because you ARE . . . and can be prosecuted for EACH of them.

the displaying of a tax disc has been not required for years

Where do you get that from?! You can be prosecuted for not DISPLAYING a current Tax Disc, even if the car IS actually taxed. (not having it taxed is a separate offence)

I know a Tax Disc doesn't PROVE that the MOT and Insurance are still valid . . . but it's a good indicator.

The point is that at present if the car doesn't have a Tax Disc it has to be SORNed . . . which means it doesn't have any insurance either (you have to cancel any policy on a SORNed vehicle)

I often drive other people's cars that I don't know very well (if I'm going to do a little repair job for them), that's why I'm concerned.

You can check in two minutes online

Not without paying you can't !

Are you trying to say you're NOT committing an offence if you drive a car without Tax, Insurance or MOT?

Because you ARE . . . and can be prosecuted for EACH of them.

I know a Tax Disc doesn't prove that the MOT and Insurance are still valid . . . but it's a good indicator.

I often drive other people's cars that I don't know very well (if I'm going to do a little repair job for them), that's why I'm concerned.

If you're driving a car for someone else and you get caught with no tax, then I'm sorry, but that's your own fault. If there were any circumstances which would absolve you of guilt, then the police will take that into consideration when dealing with you from the outset.

Are you a trader then?

Guest Roger NE
If you're driving a car for someone else and you get caught with no tax, then I'm sorry, but that's your own fault

Yes . . . but that's why having a Tax Disc system is a good thing as far as I'm concerned . . .

Similarly if I saw a car that looked abandoned, the fact that it has a current Tax Disc probably means it's not.

Sure the Police can check quickly with their systems to find out about a particular vehicle . . . but us ordinary people can't . . . it's just like the car manufacturers making it harder and harder for ordinary people to work on their own cars - I can't even do an oil change on my girlfriend's Fiesta without re-setting the on board computer!

And no, I'm not a trader.

And apologies . . just realised I have started this thread in the wrong section!

Yes . . . but that's why having a Tax Disc system is a good thing as far as I'm concerned . . .

Similarly if I saw a car that looked abandoned, the fact that it has a current Tax Disc probably means it's not.

No I'm not a trader.

Yeah, let's all waste silly amounts of paper and man hours costing the tax paying public millions so Roger NE can pootle around looking at whether random cars have paid their car tax or not. Brilliant.

Guest Roger NE
let's all waste silly amounts of paper and man hours
The amount of paper in my tax disc AND the "man hours" to issue it probably adds up to less than a pound . .

Given how much I'm paying for it, I hardly think that's a huge cost or waste !

I think it is a good idea, but I think a step further is putting it on the fuel,

• Reduce costs: No Motor tax offices, redistribute workers, eliminate IT systems associated with Motor tax

• Free up Police resources

• Wider net: Everybody pays based on use, (non-residents captured)

• Evasion will be near impossible

• Promotes people buying more efficient vehicles

Same as with Ireland , I think governments are afraid they may loose out at the exchequer

The point is that at present if the car doesn't have a Tax Disc it has to be SORNed . . . which means it doesn't have any insurance either (you have to cancel any policy on a SORNed vehicle)

Sorry you're wrong on that.

SORNed vehicles require insurance by law.

I've had a letter come through about my car not having insurance but being SORN

I'd heard about the car buyer thing before as well - so if you buy a car from someone you have to get it taxed yourself before you can use it - so no longer can you just go and hand over cash, ring insurance and drive off, you now have to get insurance AND tax sorted before you can go anywhere.

I'm guessing the reason for this is that anyone who isn't buying a car at the start of the month will lose money, and the other person may not bother claiming it back - so DVLA get a double win out of it.

I'd heard about the car buyer thing before as well - so if you buy a car from someone you have to get it taxed yourself before you can use it - so no longer can you just go and hand over cash, ring insurance and drive off, you now have to get insurance AND tax sorted before you can go anywhere.

I'm guessing the reason for this is that anyone who isn't buying a car at the start of the month will lose money, and the other person may not bother claiming it back - so DVLA get a double win out of it.

But if you buy your tax online or even from your smartphone once you've agreed the sale, then you're taxed instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of paper in my tax disc AND the "man hours" to issue it probably adds up to less than a pound . .

Given how much I'm paying for it, I hardly think that's a huge cost or waste !

It's not just you though, is it?

Guest Roger NE
SORNed vehicles require insurance by law

Actually we're BOTH wrong . . . (been checking)

You CAN insure a vehicle that has been SORNed, although many insurance companies say the cover would be invalid if the vehicle is not taxed . . and say you should inform them if a vehicle is SORNed

But there is definitely NO legal requirement to have insurance on a vehicle that has been SORNed.

Actually we're BOTH wrong . . . (been checking)

You CAN insure a vehicle that has been SORNed, although many insurance companies say the cover would be invalid if the vehicle is not taxed . . and say you should inform them if a vehicle is SORNed

But there is definitely NO legal requirement to have insurance on a vehicle that has been SORNed.

Hmm well my letter from DVLA says different, and could be fined for not having the vehicle insured.

Guest Roger NE

You must be reading your letter incorrectly Al . . . it's probably saying you could be fined for not having your vehicle insured if it's NOT SORNed . . . but there is no requirement for insurance once a vehicle is SORNed.

In other words, it needs to be SORNed if you have no insurance . . . and the crazy thing is you're not allowed to have it taxed if it's SORNed !

So people who used to keep their vehicle off the road, but Taxed, so they could just arrange temporary insurance for a week or two each time they wanted to use it CAN'T do that any more ! Presumably they have to keep Re-Taxing it, then SORNing it again and cashing in the Tax Disc each time . . . Crazy ! (and that is clearly a waste of DVLA resources)