The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blowing smoke :( (With video)

Tsia

That sounds like turbo oil seals to me.

I'd be thinking this too, the smoke tends to appear once the engine is warm. Normally the first tell take signs are when you get a puff of smoke on over run or idling. I'd take James advise & have a look in the inter cooler pipes for oil first.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it continue or clear after running? Only ask as my blows scary amounts of white smoke on star up but clear after a while? I was thinking stem seals but not sure after seeing this.

Yeah mate yours sounds like VSS's to me

And Tsia when your driving about and the cars warm does it do it all the time even before number 2 turbo comes online? If so might be the first turbo.

Edited by thetrashcanman (see edit history)

Yeah mate yours sounds like VSS's to me

And Tsia when your driving about and the cars warm does it do it all the time even before number 2 turbo comes online? If so might be the first turbo.

Thanks for the advice on that. Do you mean VSV's?

TSIA - sorry for hijacking your thread. Will stop now!

Does it continue or clear after running? Only ask as my blows scary amounts of white smoke on star up but clear after a while? I was thinking stem seals but not sure after seeing this.

Valve stem seals failing are blue smoke and shouldn't smoke anything like the op's

video, with valve stem seals failing you get a few seconds on start up.

Are you sure your smoke isn't possibly condensation ? this tends to happen in winter.

As Dnk says, valve stem seals don't smoke/steam like this on idle , usually a few seconds the clear and then usually show signs on over run

This looks like steamy to me

Place a rag or old t shirt over the exhaust when it does this then see how much oil is inthe rag, or if its just sooty water

Or get a pint glass and hold in the flow of the "smoke" and see if you get lots of condensation

If the cars been on a reasonable run and upto full operating temp then you shouldn't get much water

I suspect it's a coolant leak / crack in turbo cooling housing or elsewhere

Edited by Pulley (see edit history)

As Dnk says, valve stem seals don't smoke/steam like this on idle , usually a few seconds the clear and then usually show signs on over run

This looks like steamy to me

Place a rag or old t shirt over the exhaust when it does this then see how much oil is inthe rag, or if its just sooty water

Or get a pint glass and hold in the flow of the "smoke" and see if you get lots of condensation

If the cars been on a reasonable run and upto full operating temp then you shouldn't get much water

I suspect it's a coolant leak / crack in turbo cooling housing or elsewhere

I assume if it's either of these latter problems, it's a big money fix? :(

I'd do a compression test/ pressure test

You can buy the kits to use on a compressor to check for hg failure

If it is steam and not smoke then it's just a process of illumination

If its smoke, I'd check your crank breathers first, then the pipe that feeds into the inlet

If you give your car a good motorway junction run to make sure any condensation in exhaust and in the crank case have been burnt/evaporated off

Then let it sit at idle and hold a glass in the "smoke" and also smell the smoke

It should be obvious if its steam or smoke from oil

I'd do a compression test/ pressure test

You can buy the kits to use on a compressor to check for hg failure

If it is steam and not smoke then it's just a process of illumination

If its smoke, I'd check your crank breathers first, then the pipe that feeds into the inlet

If you give your car a good motorway junction run to make sure any condensation in exhaust and in the crank case have been burnt/evaporated off

Then let it sit at idle and hold a glass in the "smoke" and also smell the smoke

It should be obvious if its steam or smoke from oil

If it is oil from the turbo seals and he goes for a motorway run... wont that risk the engine?

And I believe the first turbo is closer to the front, second is closer to the driver.

They are sequential so my guess is that they come off together and cannot be seperated unless out of the car, or not at all??? Can somebody confirm this?